Danny Drinkwater

StefanAVFC

4 minutes ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

He is a very good passer and improves by every game, but Luiz is miles ahead of him. Don't really see that he is an upgrade on Hourihane or Lansbury yet either. If he keeps improvning then he could be. But for now I want him to do more defensive work, press more and run more. 

He is imo because he wants the ball, it's vital, he's moving in to space to receive a pass, it's a really underrated part of football and he's better at it than those 2 and nakamba 

You need an out ball 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Skruff said:

Agreed. All ready better. A lot more solid defensively. Hes quick to lay off the ball and move it on when we're under pressure. Makes plenty of smart passes without needing time to think. Didn't put a foot wrong, except for a poor touch here and there. Seems like people are looking for any excuse to slag him off. Once he's up to speed he'll be a great addition. 

True, like you and others have pointed out his quick passing is quite valuable to relieve pressure and make us keep the ball, didn't think so much of that. Thought he didn't track back enough and left it too much to Nakamba, but If he keeps improving I think he can be very useful.

Just now, villa4europe said:

Did love that cross he put in completely out of nowhere, close to a 50/50 ball turned in to one of the best crosses of the night

Unsurprisingly AEG was 3 seconds behind it 

It looked like one he made out of frustration. We were dicking about back and forth on the edge of the box and his body language seems to say “just get it in there lads!”.

Better today , it was noticeable a few times that he need half a second too long on the ball to make his decision but it was encouraging to watch him talking to players around him and encouraging everyone 

11 days til the next league game to get some more fitness training in 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

Looks a bit over weight to me still, an not looking to have the impact we have needed. Bit of a strange signing, being it'll take a least month to get him up to speed.

His salary (glad we are not playing it all) is utter scandalous

Overweight? He doesn’t have an ounce of fat on him. Unfit - yes absolutely but I wouldn’t say overweight. 

At the moment you can see there is a footballer there, but he looks like his legs are not quite up to speed with his mind at the moment. In a few weeks time I think he’ll do really well for us. Smiths teams need someone like him in centre mid to move the ball about.

I was suprised how quick some were on his back at the game, and suprised when I saw some of the comments slaughtering him in here.....glad that quite a lot at the game and on here seem much more ready to give him a chance.

I liked that he never went missing ( CH ?), always showed for the ball, looked to release people going forward where he could, and put as much as a physical shift in as a non match fit player could do. I thought Nakamba was helped by his efforts.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Skruff said:

Agreed. All ready better. A lot more solid defensively. Hes quick to lay off the ball and move it on when we're under pressure. Makes plenty of smart passes without needing time to think. Didn't put a foot wrong, except for a poor touch here and there. Seems like people are looking for any excuse to slag him off. Once he's up to speed he'll be a great addition. 

Agree.

2 hours ago, KentVillan said:

He is quite a big upgrade on Hourihane and Lansbury IMO.

This is what I said when he signed amongst all the negativity here. It's not the most exciting transfer we've had, but it makes sense.

Unfortunately I think, while Dyche said his physical fitnesss was good, it's pretty obvious he's lacking match fitness. So I am not completely sure about him starting matches. Especially when Luiz is doing rather well. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

I was talking about him acting like a prick when coming off.

However just watched the highlights and he was going mental on the bench behind Deano when we scored the equaliser!

Saw some signed of what he can do though with his range of passing.

I'd say he is probably at 60 percent fitness to be fair.

10 days or so of intense training until his next match might do a world of good?

Â