Match Thread: Watford v Villa

limpid

1 minute ago, thunderball said:

Such a lazy narrative. We are playing shite, have been for about 5-6 weeks, it’s not all Wesleys fault, if anything he is one of the better performers today. It would be great if any of the five midfielders and two full backs could do absolutely anything other than give it away or run down a dead end we might actually create chances for our only forward?

Hmmm, don’t remember saying it’s all Wesleys fault?

Dean has picked an attacking midfield and then set us up to defend deep.

Hourihane and Grealish are totally wasted with these tactics because we're not even trying to get in and around Watford's box.

Bring on El Ghazi for Jota and Kodjia for Wesley now and draw the players a picture of the opposition goal, because they've been playing too deep to recognise it.

This team needs some decent coaching! 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

Yeah we looked really good. 

Problem is we conceded so many late goals and gave up so many leads we didn't have a points cushion for when the real bad spell hit. Now confidence looks drained and we haven't got enough goals in us. 

Previously we had goals from all over, but over a season they are not going to be consistent. If your forward cannot score then the team will always struggle. 

The club **** up massively when we only signed wesley in the summer. Ridiculous decision when they invested so much in other areas. 

Yeah that's fair. I'm not defending the club, bad decisions were made. But this all comes from bad decisions in the championship, if we had bought well down there, less loans, we would have had 130m to spend on 3 players instead of 11.

1 minute ago, M_Afro said:

Get the passenger Lansbury off. Stick Jack in the middle, AEG out wide and press from the front. We need to have a go now.

Just posted the same. It's so obvious. Maybe Guilbert as well

• Like 1

If we go down we lose Grealish, and we're looking like a team that has lost all confidence. A change in manager might fix that, but I feel it would be harsh on Smith. He's barely been here a year and got us promoted. Tough one for the owners.

• Like 1

So we tried to put on a couple more technical players who are good on the ball if a bit (read very) slow on and off the ball.

It didn't work, but at least we tried something. What do we do now?

Persist whit the same in the second half? Some of our players looked exhausted already.

Bring in some of the guys who were terrible last time our against Norwich and hope they have the odd day in form?

Honestly don't know. Kodjia for Wes seem the obvious thing we haven't tried but just like Smith i really don't rate him much and Wes has not had his worst game ever.

Still you have to try something. And please no Valium to the players at HT.

I do actually feel bad for Smith, sort of. He has been given a group of players that clearly are not up to the standard we need to keep us in the league.

I don't want Smith out, but it might be that we need the new manager bounce that we got when he joined last season.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, PrimevalVillan said:

That goal honestly was luck but it all starts with the team not pushing forward. Elmo had a easy pass to Jota and instead wants to pass backwards to the championship.

Exactly this, the ball was back to Jota cuts out 2 of their players but Elmo doesn’t think that fast so he is left with aimless punt up or ball back.  
We need to be 10-20 yards further up, every other teams seems to be able to play balls forward to their players who can run on to it (either to space or first touch is forward) I can’t recall us doing that once out from back/mid

Jota off for Trez, Lansbury off for Kodja for me

We are a joke under Smith now. Outplayed from start to finish in that half against Watford ffs. No wonder when he plays Championship players like Jota and Lansbury. 

We are desperately poor every game, it's not just on this occasion, and I can't understand what the coaches do with this team. Can't defend, can't attack, can't pass the ball, can't cross. Just appalling.

He needs to make two or even three changes at HT because that was woeful, but I can guarantee he won't. Same old rubbish and no doubt that bluenose thug Deeney will score again 😡

2 minutes ago, thunderball said:

Such a lazy narrative. We are playing shite, have been for about 5-6 weeks, it’s not all Wesleys fault, if anything he is one of the better performers today. It would be great if any of the five midfielders and two full backs could do absolutely anything other than give it away or run down a dead end we might actually create chances for our only forward?

But, when you aren't doing enough and coming in for criticism, you absolutely have to score that sitter. He is doing nothing to help himself or the team. I wouldn't sub him today as its one of his better efforts but he's fast approaching being dropped and once he's out Kodjia will easily out-perform in to keep him out.