Unpopular Opinions

maqroll

35 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

New Years Day is depressing as **** too.  Good day on the tv sport wise but that’s about it.  Couple of days later it’s back to work , which can be depressing, but I always find once I’ve done that first day at work it seems like Xmas and NYE are a distant memory. 

My favourite Christmas TV show was when Grumpy Old Men did Christmas.

After all the schlock and schmaltz of Christmas it was balm to my spirits.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rugeley Villa said:

New Years Day is depressing as **** too. 

I used to find it depressing, so I now make a point of getting up at a reasonably early time, planting myself on the settee and having a day of watching some of my favourite movies.

Always works a treat and I now look forward to it.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, blandy said:

I hate the whole Xmas/New Year stuff, but for me it's a happy day, because it signals the end of all that nonsense.

It starts going downhill for me about the 30th . Love the run up to Xmas and Boxing Day . 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Designer1 said:

I used to find it depressing, so I now make a point of getting up at a reasonably early time, planting myself on the settee and having a day of watching some of my favourite movies.

Always works a treat and I now look forward to it.

I’m usually up early anyway but there’s a cracking day of horse racing and football on NYD that keeps me going 

• Like 1

I love the run up to Xmas at work... well, i used to. Its been stolen away the last two years! Hate January. I feel genuinely down then. 

1 hour ago, Xela said:

I love the run up to Xmas at work... well, i used to. Its been stolen away the last two years! Hate January. I feel genuinely down then. 

Time slows to a crawl between New Year and Easter - I always save a couple of days holiday just in case I feel the need to escape the delights of work.

• Like 1

I don’t mind New Year’s Eve. I’ve had some good ones. The biggest issue is the lack/cost of transportation so am limited as to where I can go. Unless I’m stopping over somewhere but that’s not such a regular occurrence these days. 

If I do go out, I just treat it as any other night. A subdued house party with a handful of friends, drinks, food and music is probably my ideal sort of NYE these days.

Planned to go the local pub for Christmas dinner this year, went to book 1st of November in plenty of time and they were fully booked already, you cannot imagine my p****ed off ness. I'm just so bored of the same old, dinner at the table with all the trimmings and the family. Thought it would be good to go the pub with some atmosphere, bloody mugged it now.

Remind me to book for next year in Jan.

18 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Planned to go the local pub for Christmas dinner this year, went to book 1st of November in plenty of time and they were fully booked already, you cannot imagine my p****ed off ness. I'm just so bored of the same old, dinner at the table with all the trimmings and the family. Thought it would be good to go the pub with some atmosphere, bloody mugged it now.

Remind me to book for next year in Jan.

There might be cancellations now, try again

10 hours ago, MakemineVanilla said:

Time slows to a crawl between New Year and Easter - I always save a couple of days holiday just in case I feel the need to escape the delights of work.

Feel the same. We always book a weekend away at the coast for mid-February so we have something to look forward to in January. 

January and February are horrible, but in same breath it’s nice to start getting back to normality at work after the Xmas run up . I usually start getting more upbeat around March with the Cheltenham festival and nicer weather on the horizon . Fast forward to September and I’ve had enough of the summer and want the colder weather and dark nights. Repeat.......

I always love Xmas dinner with family even if it’s the same thing every year. I think it’s because as an adult you don’t get the same buzz as you do as a kid so at least if I’m at moms and my brother and his family is there its just nice to have everyone together. 

I used to love the build up but working shifts kills that buzz now. Working in town always helped with that sense of excitement too.

These days I much prefer the week after Xmas as I usually book it off so I can relax and enjoy whatever games or films I get gifted to me. Never really liked New Years but I do enjoy going for a countryside walk on New Year’s Day. 

On 08/12/2021 at 09:56, mjmooney said:

BOF has an opinion on country singers? Who knew? 

(I think Randy Travis was, er, OK). 

This was drunk Brian on his holidays.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Â