Unpopular Opinions

maqroll

1 hour ago, MakemineVanilla said:

So what about my theory that a person's taste for music is established between adolescence and early adulthood, and that, they are more or less get stuck with whatever they were exposed to at that time?

I tend to like more music from those ages yes, and that’s not without trying to give a lot of new music a fair crack.

A lot of the music I like best is from before I was born or when I was a few years old.  I also like a lot of stuff that came out when I was in my 30's and 40's.  I probably listen to less from my adolescence and early adulthood than those other two, although I will say that there's not that much that I appreciate that came out when i was in my 50s.

12 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I have the same problem with Maltesers. Loved them years ago but they give me an horrible feeling on my teeth . I love crunchies though. 

Yeah I like crunchies too and can eat them no problem, which is why I’m not completely sure what it is about the chocolate/honeycomb combination of Maltesers that’s causing the unpleasant feeling on my teeth.

9 hours ago, il_serpente said:

A lot of the music I like best is from before I was born or when I was a few years old.  I also like a lot of stuff that came out when I was in my 30's and 40's.  I probably listen to less from my adolescence and early adulthood than those other two, although I will say that there's not that much that I appreciate that came out when i was in my 50s.

That is certainly true in my own case and I started to struggle to find any appeal with stuff which was universally praised from the late 1990s, Radiohead, say.

31 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

dub reggae

Pre-punk not post and guess what... it started right in your sweet spot, 1967 when King Tubby started releasing his experiments as B-side to singles

There, that's you converted to Dub now :mrgreen: No more excuses!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Also the term Dub Reggae is also a nonsense. King Tubby was releasing dubs in 1967, the first recognisable reggae records weren't released until 1968. It's Dub, its a genre on its own. Yes it became heavily based on the reggae scene but it pre-dates it and dubs do not have to be reggae based, not now, not then, not ever.

5 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Oh look, the same 10 people bringing music up and discussing it again in a thread not related to music 👀🥱

Oh look the same person talking bollocks again (The Snobs® never started it.) In fact a self confessed non-music person started it 

Sorry, staying on music for the moment (if the mods want to move this into the music thread, fine by me). I'm not going to get into nitpicking over when dub reggae started - I knew that. But all the reggae I ever heard in 'my' era was the singles stuff that made the pop charts (Desmond Dekker, Jimmy Cliff, etc.) - and I rather liked it. I knew the 'heavy' stuff existed, but I only noticed it being cool alongside what The Clash et al were popularising after '76. Much the same goes for krautrock and (George Clinton style) hard funk. 

But I digress. With amusing serendipity, just after my post, I received out of the blue a message from a music-loving ex-workmate (a decade or so younger than me), whom I hadn't heard from in years. Here's his message: 

Screenshot_2021-11-29-13-03-40-71_be80aec1db9a2b53c9d399db0c602181.jpg

50 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I'm not going to get into nitpicking over when dub reggae started

It isn't nitpicking, they are two entirely different beasts with a hell of a lot of crossover. Not all reggae is dub and not all dub is reggae

16 hours ago, MakemineVanilla said:

So what about my theory that a person's taste for music is established between adolescence and early adulthood, and that, they are more or less get stuck with whatever they were exposed to at that time?

Maybe so . My grandad was far more diverse than I am , but being brought up listening to his heavy rock collection certainly impacted me. Come to think of it, it was his favourite type of music, too. I’ve branched out slightly , but not much. 

1 hour ago, bickster said:

It isn't nitpicking, they are two entirely different beasts with a hell of a lot of crossover. Not all reggae is dub and not all dub is reggae

OK, not nitpicking, but it does at least demonstrate my point that it's outside my area of knowlege (and interest). What I've heard of it - while it doesn't provoke the same adverse reaction as rap - does nothing for me at all. 

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

Bullshit. The greatest of all reggae groups (pronounced Reggie) was The Police. 

There are people that genuinely think the Police are a reggae band. I've heard it many times... "White Reggae innit"

*loads shotgun*

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Maybe so . My grandad was far more diverse than I am , but being brought up listening to his heavy rock collection certainly impacted me. Come to think of it, it was his favourite type of music, too. I’ve branched out slightly , but not much. 

I found that when reading rock biographies, there is always a page or two about how the subject was influenced by their parents' or sibling's record collection, which is always surprising because they all too often don't conform with the genre the artist in question is associated with.

So presumably, if we end up with good or bad taste in music, we can apportion praise or blame, where appropriate.

Edited by MakemineVanilla

Â