Unpopular Opinions

maqroll

12 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

turns out it was Taylor bloody Swift  .. to quote a phrase i heard a lot from my teachers as a school boy  ... I'm not angry with you but I am disappointed 

It has to be said that when couples claim to both like a particular track, that one of them is diplomatically lying, or they actually like it because they associate it with a particular shared experience - like a memorable day in Benidorm.

It has nothing to do with the track's instrinsic value.

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

there is also so much shit out there that I won't risk listening to any station other than Absolute 80's or union jack radio

What's wrong with the above sentence? 

• 1 month later...

Was putting a beatles play list together at the weekend as they're a bit tricky due to the albums / singles / compilations etc so I redid it all and I've thought this for a while but looking at it again reaffirmed it for me - 

The beatles don't have a every track a killer complete album, they have at least 3 or 4 bad songs on each album 

The play list is big, I love a lot of beatles songs and they have some of the greatest songs ever but the albums as a complete package song 1 to song 10  aren't that good

15 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Was putting a beatles play list together at the weekend as they're a bit tricky due to the albums / singles / compilations etc so I redid it all and I've thought this for a while but looking at it again reaffirmed it for me - 

The beatles don't have a every track a killer complete album, they have at least 3 or 4 bad songs on each album 

The play list is big, I love a lot of beatles songs and they have some of the greatest songs ever but the albums as a complete package song 1 to song 10  aren't that good

I disagree with this, but to play devil's advocate, what about Rubber Soul?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I disagree with this, but to play devil's advocate, what about Rubber Soul?

Its not Dr Robert... But songs like Michelle are bit boring imo RS suffers in the middle with songs like what goes on 

I took girl, in my life, nowhere man, Norwegian wood and drive my car off it, the rest of it does nothing for me 

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Its not Dr Robert... But songs like Michelle are bit boring imo RS suffers in the middle with songs like what goes on 

I took girl, in my life, nowhere man, Norwegian wood and drive my car off it, the rest of it does nothing for me 

I listened to a few Beatles in their entirety today and for me at least I wouldn't skip a single track, Magical Mystery Tour and Yellow Submarine both included, but I can see your point. 

29 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

So how do I agree or disagree if I don't know what your criteria are to establish what is good and what is not?

4 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I like overcast days. A sky that’s similar to today which for me was like a completely blank canvas, or just a general cloudy, grey day.

I’m not really sure why I like it, I just do.

image.jpeg.9d9c6e7995b81a95e49925453f612916.jpeg

• Like 1

Just now, MakemineVanilla said:

So how do I agree or disagree if I don't know what your criteria are to establish what is good and what is not?

Just have a listen... 

Seat said he listened to magical mystery tour, would anyone say that's a complete album where every song is a great one? Because it's not, baby your a rich man, flying, blue Jay way are not good songs especially in the context of sat next to strawberry fields, all you need is love, penny Lane etc there are a lot of bang average to poor songs across the albums 

20 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Just have a listen... 

Seat said he listened to magical mystery tour, would anyone say that's a complete album where every song is a great one? Because it's not, baby your a rich man, flying, blue Jay way are not good songs especially in the context of sat next to strawberry fields, all you need is love, penny Lane etc there are a lot of bang average to poor songs across the albums 

I think that back in the day, when I only had a very few LPs, I would tend to listen to an album all the way through, and think of it as the whole rather than as individual tracks.

These days when everyone has thousands of tracks on their iPods, they tend to see every album as individual tracks.

If I listen to Sergeant Pepper's not in the right order, it is just not the same experience: it has to end with A Day in the Life, or it is just not the same.

I think it is why "greatest hits" albums are so unsatisfying because every track is presented out of context.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

I think that back in the day, when I only had a very few LPs, I would tend to listen to an album all the way through, and think of it as the whole rather than as individual tracks.

These days when everyone has thousands of tracks on their iPods, they tend to see every album as individual tracks.

If I listen to Sergeant Pepper's not in the right order, it is just not the same experience: it has to end with A Day in the Life, or it is just not the same.

I think it is why "greatest hits" albums are so unsatisfying because every track is presented out of context.

If I ignore the fact that you are talking about The Beatles then I agree with the sentiment behind this post

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

I always quite liked when an album started with a “difficult” song, like a blast of angry noise or whatever, and then that made room in your head for a quieter, more melodic song.

Titus Andronicus were good at this. The opening few tracks of Frogstomp by Silverchair are a guilty pleasure for same reason. Surfer Rosa by the Pixies does this over and over again. It’s like jumping into an ice bath after sitting in a sauna.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
Â