Unpopular Opinions

maqroll

54 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Roast dinners are rubbish.

Beans or tomatoes ruin a full breakfast.

Roast dinners are one of the only good things in Winter

Just use the sausages as a breakwater to the beans or tomatoes lake. Its then your decision to mix it or not.

Edited by The Fun Factory

59 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Roast dinners are rubbish.

Beans or tomatoes ruin a full breakfast.

I understand that a certain generation, think that Sunday roast dinners haven't tasted the same, since Billy Cotton and Jimmy Clitheroe ceased to be on the Home Service.

Edited by MakemineVanilla

Roast dinners at home are great, pub ones though are invariably shit.  The meat's usually been hanging around for ages, the beef has never been pink by the time I've started eating it for example.  I think the only decent one I've had is actually in a Toby Carvery where by luck we got there just when the had taken all the meat out the oven, then you choose what veg (i.e. none) to have with it.

The horrors of the pub carvery.

I guess that's the biggest problem with roast dinners, they've got to be done so well in order to be just...okay.

A bad curry is an adventure, a well cooked fish is divine, an exquisitely prepared roast is y'know, alright-ish.

It's probably helped in my house that I only cook a roast maybe once a quarter, so when I do, I go all out and put quite a bit of effort into each and every component, it's basically a Christmas dinner every few months.

I couldn't be arsed with the effort every week or two, and I'd never bother with the shit at your average pub/carvery. I also don't see the point in one if you phone it in using paxo stuffing and bisto gravy. For me, a roast dinner is an event, and every single thing gets done from scratch, usually I try to put a bit of  atwist on a couple of items and do them in a way I haven't before as well.

If you use packaged stuffing and frozen yorkies, you may as well not **** bother, because there are much nicer things you can cook in the same time, but a well made roast dinner should be a labour of love, and is almost unparallelled, IMO.

Edited by Davkaus

Beans don't have to be served in a pot. You can use a miniature watering can or gravy boat instead. 

As for tomatoes... cooked fresh tomato, fine, runny tinned ones can GTFO. 

4 minutes ago, Xela said:

Beans don't have to be served in a pot. You can use a miniature watering can

But they'll get stuck behing the holes and you'll just pour out the bean juice :(

Truth be told, you just need to use the sausages as a breakwater.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

But they'll get stuck behing the holes and you'll just pour out the bean juice :(

Truth be told, you just need to use the sausages as a breakwater.

It doesn't come out the spout... it comes out the top. God, you're such an amateur when it comes to bean receptacles. ;) 

I like to pour my beans on my sausages (KW) towards the end of my brekkie. Once the egg, toast and bacon have been despatched. 

Â