Unpopular Opinions

maqroll

It's probably worth noting - since it is not exactly being prominently reported - that Afghanistan is going through a severe famine. An estimated 22.8 million people - more than half the populaation - are expected to face potentially life-threatening levels of food insecurity this winter. This famine is pretty clearly being made much worse by the Biden administration freezing billions of dollars in Afghan reserves held in American institutions in an act of collective punishment.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

It's probably worth noting - since it is not exactly being prominently reported - that Afghanistan is going through a severe famine. An estimated 22.8 million people - more than half the populaation - are expected to face potentially life-threatening levels of food insecurity this winter. This famine is pretty clearly being made much worse by the Biden administration freezing billions of dollars in Afghan reserves held in American institutions in an act of collective punishment.

Aren't they actually the victims of the war on drugs?

The loss of the income from the ending of opium growing has robbed them of foreign currency to buy food.

The policy failed to solve the problem of heroin use because the American public just switched to synthetic opioids which caused 100k US deaths 2020-21.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mottaloo said:

I got hooked in by a foxy and buxom blonde girl whilst in Sutton shopping centre. To be fair, I was gawping at her wazzle pair of jugs and as I got nearer, she thrust out her hand (sadly, her hand) and like the rabbit in the headlights I shook it. That was it, 10 mins later I was signed up for a dd for air ambulance. She hugged me goodbye which I made the most of 😉but as soon as I got home, I blocked the dd, really annoyed with myself falling for the honey trap.

Did you go the next day say you accidently cancelled it 😜

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

It surprises me how proud people are to hold certain unpopular opinions at times. I find it very odd. 

Didn't you support Smith till the very end, thinking he would turn it around and needed more time, that was pretty unpopular. An you seemed more than proud of that.

Not a dig, it's all water under the bridge, but just saying.

1 minute ago, foreveryoung said:

Didn't you support Smith till the very end, thinking he would turn it around and needed more time, that was pretty unpopular. 

I certainly did. I don't think it was all that unpopular. Whereas the suggestion of hiring Stevie G was. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PussEKatt said:

The only thing worse than that is the starving people in Africa.As far as I can remember they have been starving and asking for handouts since the beginning of time.

Weren't a lot of them still British colonies for a significant chunk of your lifetime?

There's more "good music" around now than there was 40/50 years ago.

It's just not as easy accessible now. You have to dig for it, which in some ways makes it much more satisfying when you unearth a gem. I cringe a little bit when I hear people saying "all modern music is shit", which most of the time tends to be an opinion that's born out of hearing what's in the charts (though yes, chart music back in the day was much better).

There's a big difference between saying "I prefer the older stuff" to "all new stuff is shit". This, by the way, coming from someone who absolutely loves bands from the 70s and 80s too.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, JoshVilla said:

It's just not as easy accessible now. You have to dig for it, which in some ways makes it much more satisfying when you unearth a gem. I cringe a little bit when I hear people saying "all modern music is shit", which most of the time tends to be an opinion that's born out of hearing what's in the charts (though yes, chart music back in the day was much better).

There's a big difference between saying "I prefer the older stuff" to "all new stuff is shit". This, by the way, coming from someone who absolutely loves bands from the 70s and 80s too.

I think a big part of this is you mostly just remember the really good music from an era or the really tragically bad stuff, mediocre shit you don’t change the channel for but wouldn’t seek out just gets forgotten so you are really comparing the broad spectrum of current music against the really best stuff from the past. I’m sure there was plenty of shit to wade through back then as well….albeit less of it generated by an algorithm rather than creative people but still

• Like 1

Isn't the quantity of good Vs bad dependant upon your own taste. I've never actively listened to ed sheeran or Adele, I might have heard them in the background and not known it was them, I think mainstream stuff is all as good or bad as eachother as it's always been, then you sort of find your own thing. Doubt I could name 1 song in the top 100 right now, but if Judy Garland came on the radio/TV I'd stop and listen, Elgar too, Chris Cornell, Eddy Vedder, Mark Lanegan, I sit up and listen, stone roses etc, I've lost track of it all tbh. The cheeky girls were the best.

10 hours ago, JoshVilla said:

It's just not as easy accessible now

I disagree on both points. 

(a) As Phil Silvers points out, it's all a matter of taste and preference - the 'amount' is impossible to quantify. 

(b) It's WAY more accessible now - certainly more than in (say) the 70s. Back then I used to sometimes hear a fragment of something good on the radio, and never find out what it was. Or I might read a good review of an album in the NME, and the only way to check it out would be to buy it. Nowadays, I'm constantly discovering new (and 'new old') stuff, thanks to Spotify, YouTube - and VT. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

I disagree on both points. 

(a) As Phil Silvers points out, it's all a matter of taste and preference - the 'amount' is impossible to quantify. 

(b) It's WAY more accessible now - certainly more than in (say) the 70s. Back then I used to sometimes hear a fragment of something good on the radio, and never find out what it was. Or I might read a good review of an album in the NME, and the only way to check it out would be to buy it. Nowadays, I'm constantly discovering new (and 'new old') stuff, thanks to Spotify, YouTube - and VT. 

Exactly. Subjectively, it's my opinion that there's more brilliant music to discover nowadays.

In terms of accessibility, I'm talking more about the fact that you would have shows like OGWT, Soul Train. We don't have that now. If you don't have an Internet connection (rare, granted, but some still don't), then you're pretty much stuck with the manufactured dross that's on the radio (though you do get some good stuff if you have DAB).

• Like 1

11 hours ago, JoshVilla said:

you could be right , but there is also so much shit out there that I won't risk listening to any station other than Absolute 80's or union jack radio when i'm in the car 

I was out with a mate and his wife the other week and they were both kinda into this song that was playing in the background , and commented on how much they loved her and her stuff ... asked me to guess who it was .. so with them being my age I tried to think of some respectable female solo artists from our time that might have made a comeback 

turns out it was Taylor bloody Swift  .. to quote a phrase i heard a lot from my teachers as a school boy  ... I'm not angry with you but I am disappointed 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

Â