Unpopular Opinions

maqroll

33 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

The game I cant understand is Basketball

It has the look of forced invention to solve a problem that never existed.

However,  it is one of the activities where everyone has a nice go at catching and bouncing a ball around so as a community sport its ideal,  small pitch,  everyone can catch and bounce it a bit and unlimited substitutions so everyone can have a go.

It is an accident it made it big as a sport and like NFL,  you can't wake up 1 day when younger and say I am going to be a pro in one of these sports.  The barriers to entry are too many.  

Basketball is an interesting sporting experiment though. In pretty much every other sport, scoring is a big deal. Most possessions don't end in a score and it's the amount of times you do score that matters. But in basketball it's basically the opposite. With each possession you're basically expected to score and it ends up the amount of times you failed to score that matters. So it's the exact opposite. I think it's unique in that.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BOF said:

Basketball is an interesting sporting experiment though. In pretty much every other sport, scoring is a big deal. Most possessions don't end in a score and it's the amount of times you do score that matters. But in basketball it's basically the opposite. With each possession you're basically expected to score and it ends up the amount of times you failed to score that matters. So it's the exact opposite. I think it's unique in that.

Tennis is similar to a degree.

You’re expected to win the games you serve, and it gets exciting when you don’t. Not quite as direct as basketball but similar theme.

17 hours ago, bickster said:

Thats more than anti-biotics and a couple of visits to the clinic....

I knew I shouldn't have got my knob out in the blue lagoon. 

• Haha 1

Basketball - you only need to tune in for the last 2 mins of the game. No point sitting through the dreck beforehand. 

German beer sucks. It’s as bland as the blandest lager on any tap in any pub. Not sure why it has such a reputation. I’m sure like anywhere now there’s great craft German beers, but standard German beers are no less miserable that miserable lager in the UK.

Belgium win the European beer war. 

14 minutes ago, Spoony said:

German beer sucks. It’s as bland as the blandest lager on any tap in any pub. Not sure why it has such a reputation. I’m sure like anywhere now there’s great craft German beers, but standard German beers are no less miserable that miserable lager in the UK.

"German beer" is wide and varied, if you're talking becks and veltin then yeah 100%, it's piss water

The other thing here is they have a beer culture, the beer in Munich is different to the beer in Cologne 

And more than anything else I do think the way they do it, last night the bar I was in was all bottles, opened and served in a glass, nothing on tap, that's fairly regular apart from kolsch (the cologne beer which I don't think you can get in the UK) cold bottle, cold glass, quick wash with cold water, gives you a fresh crisp beer, you can get some brands in cans but not many, it's 95% glass bottles 

But funnily enough the beer I had last night was shit, schofferhofer wheat beer

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Spoony said:

Belgium win the European beer war

That sounds like a good idea for a thread. 

My unpopular opinion (seemingly) is that basketball is Good, Actually. Don't watch it here, but when I'm in Canada I always end up watching the Raptors and it's pretty entertaining. I used to make the 'only need to tune in for the last 2 minutes' joke as well, but it isn't true (or at least, it's no more true than it would be if someone said it about football).

• Like 1

Regarding the European beer war, the English weapon of choice seems to be the warm flat Carling in a plastic cup, it’s a very limited missile that can only be launched up to 6ft in the air. And at £8 a go, I don’t think England would get very far in this battle. 

3 hours ago, Spoony said:

In pubs I'm exclusively a British draught ale drinker. But at home I'm very partial to bottled Warsteiner. Haven't found a Belgian beer I really like. 

I guess my apropos unpopular opinion would be that I have no real interest in beer anymore. I’ll have my standard pint or two of Guinness with the football if I’m watching in a pub, but in almost any other context I’ll choose wine or a non-alcoholic drink. 

17 hours ago, Xela said:

Basketball - you only need to tune in for the last 2 mins of the game. No point sitting through the dreck beforehand. 

It's amazing really,  the sport makes it so anyone can win in the 4th quarter most games.  It's like they got the adverts ready then found a sport that will be just about perfect for delivering adverts.  Same as the NFL I suppose. 

Within the games there are things going on to make sure the games are close.  Or,  everyone switches off if its 89-21 at half time.  (Rule changes or just making it so no one ever really goes miles ahead score wise).  I am 100% sure it goes on,  the adverts are more valuable than the sport itself.  I look at the France game the other night and then you look at basketball or NFL. 

2 minutes ago, sne said:

England should have had 1 possibly 2 red cards yesterday :ph34r:

Who? When? Where?        I wasn't watching closely enough to see anything dodgy or bad enough for red cards.

8 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Who? When? Where?        I wasn't watching closely enough to see anything dodgy or bad enough for red cards.

Rice and Phillips.

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

In pubs I'm exclusively a British draught ale drinker. But at home I'm very partial to bottled Warsteiner. Haven't found a Belgian beer I really like. 

That's one that I don't like, find it gassy, although I mainly find myself drinking it on a plane which might not help

Theyve just introduced a new shandy which I tried at the weekend, very nice 

They have 12 different types / flavours here, the brewers gold is decent, the winter edition wasn't 

38 minutes ago, sne said:

Rice and Phillips.

Definitely yellows imo, no more but very obviously deserving. Put those tackles as reds, then yellows will need to be reduced to ‘looking at another player in a funny way’.

54 minutes ago, sne said:

England should have had 1 possibly 2 red cards yesterday :ph34r:

"should" is a bit strong, imo. But I definitely agree that one of them at least was a lot closer than anyone seems to realise!

Â