Unpopular Opinions

maqroll

On 26/06/2021 at 16:26, bielesibub said:

Sorry nothing to do with Howard Jones - who according to wikipedia is a Welsh musician born in Scumpton (Southampton) - plenty there to not like.

Yeah, let's just say there's two Howard Jones

I don't mind any sport if it's live, but I've not seen Rugby, so that seems pretty dull to me.  I really wanted to like it, so sat down for some 6 nations a few years ago with a rugby loving friend to watch England vs Wales and it finished about 6-3 and it was legitimately a huge waste of time.  I imagine watching it live would make it better.  I watched us win the world cup back in 2002 or whatever it was and I tried to enjoy it, but didn't..

I prefer watching cricket live, unless it's a really tense game, then the commentary adds a layer of story telling you can't beat. 

Snooker live is ok too, but I couldn't watch it on TV very often, maybe the odd game.

Basketball is ok to watch, although I don't like playing it because I'm awful at it.

Tennis I can watch. 

I think it's the same as everything though, if it's a boring game then any football is dull.  Italy vs Austria was rubbish for 90 minutes.  Most prem games are boring and predictable. 

2 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Yeah, let's just say there's two Howard Jones

D'oh, that'll lesson me for not reading the thread properly 😳 - thanks @Wainy315 for being so polite!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, El Zen said:

I don’t think I’ve ever watched a whole tennis match. A really good rally will impress me, but it’s not a sport I could ever be invested in: It’s just too much back and forth for me.

See also: basketball. Hands down the most boring spectator sport on the planet (and I include cricket and golf). 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

See also: basketball. Hands down the most boring spectator sport on the planet (and I include cricket and golf). 

A game where scoring is so commonplace that the moments to cheer are when the other team doesn't score.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Definitely. I have very little interest in basketball. The individual skill is impressive, but the game itself is flawed. See also handball, as a relatively popular sport in Norway and continental Europe. 60 goals per 60 minute game? Nah. 

6 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Went to LA a couple of years ago, thought I had to go see a game whilst I had a chance, was out of season for NFL, NHL and I think baseball but I wouldn't have done that anyway, lakers vs Cleveland, LeBron playing so a big game, $200 a ticket via the lakers weird ticket resale system to sit on the back row... Bored shitless, much to the displeasure of my would be wife I decided to just get pissed, from memory it was about $25 for nachos and a beer, still managed it though, cost me a bastard fortune 

Still LeBron did a no look pass which will still shown on highlight reels in 30 years time it was that good, she was that bored she missed it, she wasn't even watching 😂

I like watching Drag Car Racing.

I’ll expand on that. I’m happy to sit there and watch drag cars on the proviso that about one an hour blows up and / or crashes.

At Santa Pod once, a great big lump of an engine landed about 3 or 4 metres away from me. Earlier that same day, I fell out of the car I was driving.

Best track day ever.

22 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Formula One is the correct answer.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, icouldtelltheworld said:

So many people here skirting around the real issue - which is that there are no spectator sports worth watching from start to finish apart from football

Ice hockey is excellent fun. Objectively entertaining. 

Edited by El Zen

30 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I like watching Drag Car Racing.

I’ll expand on that. I’m happy to sit there and watch drag cars on the proviso that about one an hour blows up and / or crashes.

At Santa Pod once, a great big lump of an engine landed about 3 or 4 metres away from me. Earlier that same day, I fell out of the car I was driving.

Best track day ever.

I get the impression that people into watching Rally driving are only interested in watching crashes.

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

I get the impression that people into watching Rally driving are only interested in watching crashes.

That’s the quality of drag racing, I can rock up at lunchtime, avail myself of a plastic pint of lager and a hot dog, take a seat and watch the whole race from start to finish.

Rally driving, you get up at 4:00am to get to a corner on the course before the stewards close the roads, you get to see all the cars for 5 seconds and then go somewhere to get phone reception to find out who won. Your chances of a crash are minimal.

My way, every damn time.

• Like 1

Â