Unpopular Opinions

maqroll

22 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Formula One is the correct answer.

Oh my god, how could I have forgotten Formula One - I might dislike that more than cricket! F1 is a game that is won by how quick someone can change a set of tyres or fill a fuel tank.

5 minutes ago, bielesibub said:

Oh my god, how could I have forgotten Formula One - I might dislike that more than cricket! F1 is a game that is won by how quick someone can change a set of tyres or fill a fuel tank.

I think they removed the refueling part of the sport a while back, I stopped watching as I was only tuned in for the people setting themselves on fire

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, El Zen said:

Ice hockey is excellent fun. Objectively entertaining. 

Never seen it in the flesh, but it's no good at all on TV. Or maybe it is on a huge screen, but on our modestly sized telly, the puck is near-invisible, so all I see is the players crashing around at breakneck speed. The only way to appreciate a goal is in the slo-mo replay. 

Conversely, motor sport, road cycling, horse racing, etc. are far better on TV than in attendance, due to multiple camera positions - rather than standing in one spot for ages and then seeing the competitors flash past in the blink of an eye. 

Don't mind the Olympics for a novelty, but tbh I have pretty much zero interest in any sport besides football. 

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

See also: basketball. Hands down the most boring spectator sport on the planet (and I include cricket and golf). 

Have you ever tried Baseball? I went to see the Red Sox a few years ago, can't even remember who they played, but we walked out after an hour or so because it was so entertaining.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, AVFC_Hitz said:

Sports I would be interested in watching:

Javelin at Jeff - The bi-weekly throw a javelin at anyone called Jeff competition. Should be shown on channel 4 after 2am. The competition would be more edgy if its name was shortened to J@J. People would call it 'JAJ' but I think we're all ok with that. Sponsored by the French early internet/postal service Minitel. 

Cor! What a pie! - 11 men without any knowledge of baked goods are rated on how loud they shout at pies in small provinical bakeries. Could be streamed via YouTube. Although a £14.99pm villaTV style subscription on the Greggs website would work also.

SingedBalls - A sport in which specially crafted leather testes are thrown onto a triangle of candles. If all 28 candles are put out with the balls then it's called a singe. Men with abritary knowledge of signwriting display the scores. A moderator can shout SingedBalls! if the candle manages to burn off the hair on each ball after the candle has been put out.

FairyDance - Bottles of fairy liquid are put in the middle of a failing comprehensive's quadrant and each 'Foamer' has to dance to a 4 minute song around the bottle of fairy liquid. Points are awarded on intricacy and knowledge of Schwabian. 'Jiffers' is similar but different. A bit like rugby union/league.

Panathanaikos Yoghurt - 22 men travel to various Greek ports and wrestle for the best yoghurt/fruit combination. Vegetables are presented on an ornate glass tray every 12 seconds by means of distraction and a binding contract with a Turkish glass company.

spacer.png

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bickster said:

I think they removed the refueling part of the sport a while back, I stopped watching as I was only tuned in for the people setting themselves on fire

Sick burn, dude

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, AXD said:

Have you ever tried Baseball? I went to see the Red Sox a few years ago, can't even remember who they played, but we walked out after an hour or so because it was so entertaining.

I have. Baltimore Orioles v Milwaukee Brewers at the old Memorial Stadium, 1989. Baltimore lost. Much like watching cricket, better in the flesh than on TV, for exactly the same reasons - sitting in the sun drinking beer, enjoying the fan banter and largely ignoring the game. 

3 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

I like watching Drag Car Racing.

I’ll expand on that. I’m happy to sit there and watch drag cars on the proviso that about one an hour blows up and / or crashes.

At Santa Pod once, a great big lump of an engine landed about 3 or 4 metres away from me. Earlier that same day, I fell out of the car I was driving.

Best track day ever.

My mate and his dad built and raced a super fast car thing for a few years and my dad crewed for them.

This is me driving it. I was probably doing about 180mph here I think.

445201478_dragcar.jpg.962c4d30e201faf2577cb7d88a1326fa.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Them’s the boys!

Top fuel cars and funny cars for just the most macho rush of all things blokishly engine based.

Standing start to 300mph in a quarter of a mile. It is quite something to experience standing next to.

I was sat front row and right on the line at Santa Pod when a funny car blew up. Lights went green, the roar of the engine and the jet of flame but something broke and instead of the car being launched forward, the engine was launched vertically upward.

Nevermind, push him off to the side, this next guy has basically strapped a saddle to a fighter jet engine. 

Edited by chrisp65
  • Like 1

If we're on sport, I don't get the British and Irish Lions. I'm not the biggest fan of rugby full stop, but the Lions as a concept is just odd. So England, Scotland, Wales, and Ireland can all play New Zealand, South Africa and Australia at any point, and sometimes they beat them. When they do, it's normally seen as a good result, but it's not out of the question. Like they're not unbeatable normally. So why is it such a big deal if the home nations pool their best players, and then play them and beat them? Surely you'd expect a team made up of the best players from 4 different teams to win? How come the Southern hemisphere teams are held in such high regards that the UK and Ireland feel they have to join forces to beat them? How come the Norther hemisphere teams are held in such poor regards that NZ, Aus and SA don't join forces to try and beat them? 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, dAVe80 said:

If we're on sport, I don't get the British and Irish Lions. I'm not the biggest fan of rugby full stop, but the Lions as a concept is just odd. So England, Scotland, Wales, and Ireland can all play New Zealand, South Africa and Australia at any point, and sometimes they beat them. When they do, it's normally seen as a good result, but it's not out of the question. Like they're not unbeatable normally. So why is it such a big deal if the home nations pool their best players, and then play them and beat them? Surely you'd expect a team made up of the best players from 4 different teams to win? How come the Southern hemisphere teams are held in such high regards that the UK and Ireland feel they have to join forces to beat them? How come the Norther hemisphere teams are held in such poor regards that NZ, Aus and SA don't join forces to try and beat them? 

These are the same people that felt they could improve the shape of a ball.

It’s not worth giving them too much thinking time.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, dAVe80 said:

It's nothing to do with how highly regarded the players or teams are. It's a historical / tradition thing. One that is very much looked forward to in the RU calendar. I guess it goes back to the days before long haul flights and it was better to send a combined touring party every four years to the southern hemisphere by boat. In reality, its just an anachronism that hasn't been lost in the professional era. Other traditions like Barbarians games do seem to have all but disappeared though

In a similar way that its not that long ago that the MCC picked the England Cricket Team to go on a Summer Tour but the ECB picked the team for home games. It made absolutely no sense for decades but that was the way it was always done

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

My mate and his dad built and raced a super fast car thing for a few years and my dad crewed for them.

Reminds me of this (no reflection on your good self though !):

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

Did the citroen van get past you?

• Like 1

Â