January Transfers 2019/20

sne

Letting Chester go before bringing anyone else in is stupid.

Not signing a winger is stupid.

Not signing another striker is stupid.

All in my honest opinion of course...

I do appreciate it's not an easy thing to do. Though, this window will have to go down as a failure imo, if we don't bring anyone else in. 

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, villan501 said:

Get a grip football manager we knew what we needed have we got the personel required NO and we have had plenty of time.

Making signings in January isn't easy ESPECIALLY if you're constrained by FFP. Rodgers said they can't afford to buy anyone at Leicester the other day. People think this a video game. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

chester doesn't play

for all we know he's said to smith I want to play every week, smith said sorry mate the quality just isn't there post injury and chester said well can I leave and smith said after the good couple of years you gave us and playing through the injury yeah we owe you that

but somehow that's being painted as the club being stupid? not for me

Exactly, and after all he's done for us why should we stand in his way of playing regular first team football at what are the latter stages of his career?

Makes sense all round if you ask me.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, villan501 said:

Just seen ssn were struggling to get a striker for me villa recruitment and management are accountable they knew we needed a striker and backup strikers for well over a month. Leaving it to the last minute you get your fingers burnt.

Do you think maybe that they didn't leave it to the last minute? 

Just now, Kiwivillan said:

Making signings in January isn't easy ESPECIALLY if you're constrained by FFP. Rodgers said they can't afford to buy anyone at Leicester the other day. People think this a video game. 

I think the problem is more how you use the football manager excuse to deflect any criticism towards the club's transfer policy. 

Just now, PieFacE said:

Letting Chester go before bringing anyone else in is stupid.

Not signing a winger is stupid.

Not signing another striker is stupid.

All in my honest opinion of course...

Chester wanted to leave to get regular game time to make Euro squad

1 minute ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Exactly, and after all he's done for us why should we stand in his way of playing regular first team football at what are the latter stages of his career?

Makes sense all round if you ask me.

And assuming there's a recall clause, we would get back a player who's been playing regularly rather than sitting on our bench!

2 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Chester wanted to leave to get regular game time to make Euro squad

I know and appreciate that. But, we play with a back 3 and Engles has gone missing. It's a huge risk letting Chester go without replacing him. Mings is quite injury prone too... 

I'm happy to let Chester go and play football, but we need to be bringing in a replacement. 

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 1

Just now, Laughable Chimp said:

I think the problem is more how you use the football manager excuse to deflect any criticism towards the club's transfer policy. 

You can apply to whole PL. There's been limited signings as per usual in January and we're far more affected by FFP probably than a lot of clubs. I think people are living in fantasy land

Apparently some Sky reporter at the ground has said he's been told that we're still looking for a striker, but finding it difficult. You never know if another clubs gets one in, that might open the door for us, apparently Palace want Ibe from Bournemouth, if that happens maybe we can get Benteke on loan.

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

So is our squad better after today than it was after the end of the summer window?

One way to look at it, we signed Reina to replace Heaton. Samatta to replace Wes.

One player in to add to numbers and increase "quality." Danny Drinkwater.

Need to do much better in the summer window.

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

One way to look at it, we signed Reina to replace Heaton. Samatta to replace Wes.

One player in to add to numbers and increase "quality." Danny Drinkwater.

Need to do much better in the summer window.

Drinkwater is to replace McGinn. 

We only made one big money permanent signing in Samatta which indicates the club thought we need to strengthen the striking department, not just apply a short term loan while waiting for Wes to return. 

When all our players are fit again we have good competition for places. 

Edited by LondonLax
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

I'm not pressing anyone? I've asked if anyone thinks any of our signings have been great. 

I've already said who I think have been great signings from last summer.

You've said that you don't think that we're succeeding with this model of scouting players to sell for more money to fund more transfers. For a start, I think that's evidently wrong.

Mings has easily increased his value. Since we signed him he's become one of the best defenders in the league. English or otherwise. He's gotten into the England squad and, based on the current market, has probably doubled in value.

Guilbert is now easily worth more than the £4.3m we paid for him, but now he's probably worth almost as much as we paid for Targett. On the subject of Targett; many said that he was overpriced (which, based on his performances at fullback, are probably true, but based on his recent performances at wingback (which suits him down to the ground) if he continues that form, you could argue that his stock will go up)). El Ghazi was a snip at £6-8m, and with his 6 goals and 6 assists is easily worth more than that now. For example: If we go down, I wouldn't be surprised to see a lower Prem club come in for him for £10-12m.

Luiz and Nakamba both show potential and naivety in equal measures. That's what you'll get with 1) Young players, and 2) Players new to the league.

I saw someone on VT say earlier that the foreign players this year seem to be doing better than the players in our relegation season, and look how good many of them went on to be.

It can't be claimed that we're failing at our current 'model' just because we haven't signed 'great' players. We've signed players that have the potential to be great, or good, or bad. Most of them are looking like they're going to be 'good', some of them show glimmers of greatness, and then a couple have shown more bad than good. That's a fairly good ratio when you think about the squad rebuild we had to undertake.

• Like 2