January Transfers 2019/20

sne

37 minutes ago, Rodders said:

we have 4 fit and available centre backs. Chester can go no problem. Don't see the problem. 

Well the issue is pretty obvious in that we have 4 CBs for 3 positions. Ideal squad size is two players for every position (22 players) with a few included in that 22 who can cover multiple positions.

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

If wes was fit and we didn't sign a striker would people be happy?

Most knew we needed a forward when wes was fit. We've replaced wes but are still really short there. 

We haven’t ‘replaced’ Wes, we have bought a striker to complement him. Think longer term. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

You've said that you don't think that we're succeeding with this model of scouting players to sell for more money to fund more transfers. For a start, I think that's evidently wrong.

Mings has easily increased his value. Since we signed him he's become one of the best defenders in the league. English or otherwise. He's gotten into the England squad and, based on the current market, has probably doubled in value.

Guilbert is now easily worth more than the £4.3m we paid for him, but now he's probably worth almost as much as we paid for Targett. On the subject of Targett; many said that he was overpriced (which, based on his performances at fullback, are probably true, but based on his recent performances at wingback (which suits him down to the ground) if he continues that form, you could argue that his stock will go up)). El Ghazi was a snip at £6-8m, and with his 6 goals and 6 assists is easily worth more than that now. For example: If we go down, I wouldn't be surprised to see a lower Prem club come in for him for £10-12m.

Luiz and Nakamba both show potential and naivety in equal measures. That's what you'll get with 1) Young players, and 2) Players new to the league.

I saw someone on VT say earlier that the foreign players this year seem to be doing better than the players in our relegation season, and look how good many of them went on to be.

It can't be claimed that we're failing at our current 'model' just because we haven't signed 'great' players. We've signed players that have the potential to be great, or good, or bad. Most of them are looking like they're going to be 'good', some of them show glimmers of greatness, and then a couple have shown more bad than good. That's a fairly good ratio when you think about the squad rebuild we had to undertake.

Firstly I have never said we are failing based on our current recruitment model,  you seem to have read one thing and totally interpreted as something else. But there's also little evidence it's going to succeed based on last summers business. Mings has increased his value but surely he's not the sort of player we would be moving on anyway though, I've already said Guilbert has done really well but I do think he is at his right level and won't progress much further.

3 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Most knew we needed a forward when wes was fit. We've replaced wes but are still really short there. 

Wes (fit) samatta davis as strikers then yes imo 2 strikers is not enough wes had too many games failing with zero competition failiure in performance should not be rewarded with still being picked.

Edited by villan501

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

No as Wesley showed he wasn't good enough to be a week in week out starter.

If he'd stayed fit and we'd signed Samatta that's better as then he can go to the bench and develop that way.

Now we need to hope Davis stays fit until end of the season to at least give a plan b option.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

McGinn I presume will actually play again this season unlike the other two so we've still boosted the midfield numbers compared to upfront.

Where would SJM play in this current formation? 

4 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

We haven’t ‘replaced’ Wes, we have bought a striker to complement him. Think longer term. 

I can think longer team thanks. But right now we have a short term priority of staying in the league. 

If relegated will you be happy with the long term thinking?

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Spurs favourite to sign Giroud now.

They are in London, which along with wages and length of contract, seems to be all that matters to him. I don't think he would look at an English club outside of London and he would be likely to look at us, in much the same way that he looked at Newcastle, if we did want him. Let him go there and take his sorry ar*e with him. ;)

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

I can think longer team thanks. But right now we have a short term priority of staying in the league. 

If relegated will you be happy with the long term thinking?

We have 2 strikers for the next 14 games and 3 for the next 3-4 years. That’s good business by the club. 

8 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

You seem in a bit of a panic with all these posts?

When a first team player gets injured it is not sustainable to just go out and spend a similar amount of money on a ‘replacement’, effectively treating it as though we sold Wesley.

We were never going to sign a big money striker as well as Samatta. What would we do at the start of next season when we have 4 players competing for one position including 3 we payed big money for? 

I believe we might have tried to sign a 6 month loan to cover Wes but that would be a difficult sell to any player as they would likely be sitting on the bench behind our new signing and our young striker. 

Not a panic but worried about relegation. 

I was worried about relegation before we lost key players. I think we needed to do more. 

Relegation will have massive implications for us again. 

• Like 1

Just now, LondonLax said:

We have 2 strikers for the next 14 games and 3 for the next 3-4 years. That’s good business by the club. 

So it's just numbers then? Any 2 strikers it doesn't matter? 

Hopefully we stay up. Would it still be good business if we don't?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, useless said:

Think we would have signed Drinkwater even if McGinn had have stayed fit.

I think so too DL needs to develop (a lot) and is not ready for starting in that position yet DD should be a very good stop gap as long as he get's up to match fitness fast.