January Transfers 2019/20

sne

3 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

We have 2 strikers for the next 14 games and 3 for the next 3-4 years. That’s good business by the club. 

Far from it Wes is a useless lump, I wish him a speedy recovery but he's never going to be a good player for us

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

We have 2 strikers for the next 14 games and 3 for the next 3-4 years. That’s good business by the club. 

A fresh player, who hasn’t played in this league before and lasted only 60 minutes last game.  Potential yes but jeez

Second player, whose injury prone, not a goal scorer and hasn’t really had decent minutes at this level

Thats not good business for 14 games left that decides if we get relegated....it’s poor!

• Like 2

I completely get the argument that we shouldn’t blow loads of cash on a striker since we will have Wesley back next season, an improved Davis, a settled Samatta, etc. Panic buying would be silly.

But having offloaded Kodjia it must be possible to find a striker on loan / loan-to-buy who is better than Davis and Vasilev and offers some backup / competition to Samatta for the remainder of the season.

We can’t seriously think that not signing any more players is the preferred outcome here.

I’m hoping the club are pushing this message to stop other clubs from viewing us as a desperate case.

I do still think we will stay up without any more signings, but it will be risky relying on Samatta’s fitness.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, rubberman said:

Erm...you?

I'm not being precious, just saying that if we are buying players to sell on at a profit they have to develop and that takes time.  IMO it is too soon to say that none of the summer signings will be sold at a profit in a couple of years.  Not saying they will necessarily have the same trajectory, but see Traore for details.  

I've not written anyone off just don't see any really stand outs that I think will develop and we can turn a big profit on so we can progress.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

A fresh player, who hasn’t played in this league before and lasted only 60 minutes last game.  Potential yes but jeez

Second player, whose injury prone, not a goal scorer and hasn’t really had decent minutes at this level

Thats not good business for 14 games left that decides if we get relegated....it’s poor!

So we sign Benteke on loan..... he does feck all and we still get relegated. Would that be better?

4 hours ago, lexicon said:

How the hell have they arrived at those numbers? 🤣

Transfer Fee in 1993: £8,800,000
Today's Transfer Fee: £136,146,017

WTF?

I started my first job in 1993, my salary then was £12K. Adjusted for inflation by this metric I was earning the equivalent of £180K at todays rates. Its been a slippery slope ever since, where did I go wrong......

• Haha 4

Why are we blocked so hard by FPP? Couldn't we just agree to send majority of the money in summer for a player? Even though money is usually transfered over years. If we get relegated were selling grealish anyway which would cover it. 

Really should be spending big on a winger. Not getting a replacement for chester is a joke. Either we know at the start of the window it's likely we need a replacement which means it's a failure by board, or chester decided last minute which we just have to block by telling him it's too late. 

30 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Drinkwater is to replace McGinn. 

We only made one big money permanent signing in Samatta which indicates the club thought we need to strengthen the striking department, not just apply a short term loan while waiting for Wes to return. 

When all our players are fit again we have good competition for places. 

Agreed 100%, but it could possibly be too late, come the time "all our players are fit again" and it's a risk that I'd rather we didn't take.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KentVillan said:

I completely get the argument that we shouldn’t blow loads of cash on a striker since we will have Wesley back next season, an improved Davis, a settled Samatta, etc. Panic buying would be silly.

But having offloaded Kodjia it must be possible to find a striker on loan / loan-to-buy who is better than Davis and Vasilev and offers some backup / competition to Samatta for the remainder of the season.

We can’t seriously think that not signing any more players is the preferred outcome here.

I’m hoping the club are pushing this message to stop other clubs from viewing us as a desperate case.

I do still think we will stay up without any more signings, but it will be risky relying on Samatta’s fitness.

I think it’s more than that.  Risking relegation is foolish, a bit of money now against the loss of money from relegation.  It took us three years to get back up last time.

Yes adding another striker may not make much difference but likely to be positive rather than negative.  As for FFP, if we are relegated then we will have money from Grealish sale and if we aren’t relegated we should still avoid FFP issues.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

In the middle two but asked to play with a little more discipline.

Not so sure he'd suit that role DS seems to like the 2 more defensive midfield players. Going to be very interesting when he does return particularly if we are playing OK would be a big call to change the way we play to accommodate him.

1 minute ago, zab6359 said:

Not so sure he'd suit that role DS seems to like the 2 more defensive midfield players. Going to be very interesting when he does return particularly if we are playing OK would be a big call to change the way we play to accommodate him.

He will start as he's simply one of the best players at the club.

6 minutes ago, thunderball said:

I started my first job in 1993, my salary then was £12K. Adjusted for inflation by this metric I was earning the equivalent of £180K at todays rates. Its been a slippery slope ever since, where did I go wrong......

Heh, Could be worse. Even without inflation i was earning more in 93 than i am now. 🤔

Edited by LakotaDakota