January Transfers 2019/20

sne

1 minute ago, terrytini said:

I won’t argue we haven’t done enough.

My point is those that make the jump from that, to blaming the Club, when there are so many factors at work, and when we have had such a huge restructuring job on the playing side, are being unreasonable, at best.

We've played el ghazi as a striker for multiple games. 

We have arguably the weakest striking core in the league. 

I don't think its unreasonable to not be impressed with that.

Just now, DCJonah said:

We've played el ghazi as a striker for multiple games. 

We have arguably the weakest striking core in the league. 

I don't think its unreasonable to not be impressed with that.

I won’t repeat myself 🙂

Think we were all expecting/hoping we'd do more than just keep the status quo with our signings. If that even.

Reina is probably a like for like signing to Heaton. Samatta is hopefully better than Wesley but Drinkwater in his current state is miles away from McGinn.

I think we needed to improve, not just stand still to stay in the league and I'm not sure we have.

Fully get that it's difficult and that we can't just throw money around but it's disappointing if this is the squad we go into the rest of the season with.

Just has to hope that the wheels truly have come off at West Ham or Watford or that Brighton continue to give away late points.

We're a premier league side, signing another centre-forward shouldn't be that dificult, doesn't have to be someone amazing. If one of our relegation rivals were going into the rest of season with just Samatta and an injury prone youngster who doesn't even score goals anyway, then we'd be citing them as a team that could be in big trouble, and wondering why on earth they haven't done anything about it, because it's our own club people have to act as if it's perfectly acceptable.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, terrytini said:

I can’t normally be arsed with the Transfer thread but must admit I find the idea that “ there MUST BE” (another as we’ve just bought one)-Striker out there (that will presumably score what, 6/plus goals ?) we could’ve got” to be close to the definition of Fantasy Football thinking.

Where ? Who would let such a player go ? How many other Clubs would be in for such a player ? 

(And that’s before you get to cost, whether he wants to come, time to settle in etc etc.)

It’s possible such a player is out there, of course. But that’s all, possible. Not finding that possibility is hardly something to warrant outrage, despair at lack of funds, or accusations of incompetence.

I think you’re setting the wrong bar for that extra striker. We don’t need another 6+ goal striker, we just need someone more competent in that role than El Ghazi, Vassilev, etc. to cover injury to Samatta / Davis.

Much more realistic to think such a player is available, surely?

Edited by KentVillan

Just now, terrytini said:

I won’t repeat myself 🙂

After the huge restructuring job done in the summer, it’s seems bizarre that since the end of August when they were still trying to get another striker that 5 months later we haven’t done that really when the restructuring part had already been done.

5 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

Apparenty 11-12 mil up front with addons taking it to a max 20

Depends on what you read, but I've seen £14m +£8m add ons. But its probably 5 yrs at £50Kp.w. too, they are desperate, and their salaries are out of control.

12 minutes ago, terrytini said:

I can’t normally be arsed with the Transfer thread but must admit I find the idea that “ there MUST BE” (another as we’ve just bought one)-Striker out there (that will presumably score what, 6/plus goals ?) we could’ve got” to be close to the definition of Fantasy Football thinking.

Where ? Who would let such a player go ? How many other Clubs would be in for such a player ? 

(And that’s before you get to cost, whether he wants to come, time to settle in etc etc.)

It’s possible such a player is out there, of course. But that’s all, possible. Not finding that possibility is hardly something to warrant outrage, despair at lack of funds, or accusations of incompetence.

give it to me want GIF

• Thanks 1

Sheffield U have just managed to sign a striker ( Richairo Zivkovic) on loan from the Chines league.

Should be more deals to be made from there since the league is suspended indefinitely

• Like 1

Just now, sne said:

Sheffield U have just managed to sign a striker ( Richairo Zivkovic) on loan from the Chines league.

Should be more deals to be made from there since the league is suspended indefinitely

Seen that. Carrssco back at atletico too.

3 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Fookin hell, Sheffield United putting on their big boys pants eh.

He really doesn't look anything to get excited about (famous last words), his stats and back story are something of a failure really. If we'd signed him would have been massively underwhelmed.

3 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

I think you’re setting the wrong bar for that extra striker. We don’t need another 6+ goal striker, we just need someone more competent in that role than El Ghazi, Vassilev, etc. to cover injury to Samatta / Davis.

Much more realistic to think such a player is available, surely?

Not sure I agree.

If it’s a striker/ better cover ( third choice behind the 2 you mentioned !) than El Ghazi  people want, he still has to score goals yes ? 
 So a goal scorer. Who is good enough to score the goals we need if he played .....so half a dozen over 12 games is fair enough.

So a goal scorer, Premier League standard, whose Club are happy to let him go, who wants to come, and who is happy to be third choice ? 
I would repeat, such a player may well exist. But may well not. I wouldn’t be attacking the Club for not finding him.

40 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

Firstly I have never said we are failing based on our current recruitment model,  you seem to have read one thing and totally interpreted as something else. But there's also little evidence it's going to succeed based on last summers business. Mings has increased his value but surely he's not the sort of player we would be moving on anyway though, I've already said Guilbert has done really well but I do think he is at his right level and won't progress much further.

You said

But my point is there are no stand out signings that I think we can sell in 2-3 years at a big profit to fund future investment which is the model we are supposedly following. 

That seemed to imply that we're not doing what we set out to

Smith said he wanted a striker and a winger ....before the injuries!

Reina cover for heaton

Drinky for McGinn

Smatta for Wes

Therefore we still need a winger and a striker.  and you can't include boy wonder barry. Unless he's going the throw him in.

Trez might be flavour of the week but he's still ragged 99% of the time. and El Gazi no one talks about how pathetic he was on tuesday, I can't remember the last time he played well. 

Just now, thunderball said:

He really doesn't look anything to get excited about (famous last words), his stats and back story are something of a failure really. If we'd signed him would have been massively underwhelmed.

It's a 6 month loan to add competition for places.

Sure he is better than no one at all.

1 minute ago, terrytini said:

Not sure I agree.

If it’s a striker/ better cover ( third choice behind the 2 you mentioned !) than El Ghazi  people want, he still has to score goals yes ? 
 So a goal scorer. Who is good enough to score the goals we need if he played .....so half a dozen over 12 games is fair enough.

So a goal scorer, Premier League standard, whose Club are happy to let him go, who wants to come, and who is happy to be third choice ? 
I would repeat, such a player may well exist. But may well not. I wouldn’t be attacking the Club for not finding him.

But then surprising the club were so open about wanting another striker if it was such an impossible task.