January Transfers 2019/20

sne

Just now, villa4europe said:

the risk is that 2 of our CBs get long term (month +) injuries at the same time, unless a good youth prospect like konsa was available then I don't see a problem with it

and I think we're better as a 3 but we still make a lot of mistakes at the back, would changing to a 4 really get us relegated? mings dropping form again would be as bad as an injury

It's not just injury it's also form. Look at Engels at the start of the season and now. 

I just don't see why we put ourselves at risk. We can't be so desperate for money that we have to sell chester.

Just now, Laughable Chimp said:

I don't think putting a full back into CB or puttinga youngster in qualifies as "options".

no the sensible option is going back to a 4

and all of this skirts around our biggest problem which was a weak midfield, nakamba and luiz finding form and understanding the league would solve a few of our defensive problems

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

and all of this skirts around our biggest problem which was a weak midfield, nakamba and luiz finding form and understanding the league would solve a few of our defensive problems

Before we switched to a back 3 we were playing like the worst team in the *league. 

* edited due to massive exaggeration 

Edited by DCJonah

3 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

I don't give a **** about the 3 teams above us in the league you mention I only care about the signings we have made and make. 

I'd like to know what level of player you consider to be 'great', as you're the one pressing other posters to name our 'great' signings.

Are Jack, Mings and McGinn the only 'great' players we have? Or would you consider Heaton to also be great.

Is 'great' relative to the price paid? I'd say Guilbert is a pretty great rightback for £4.3m. I'd say that Nakamba and Luiz both have the potential to be great players.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rubberman said:

Maybe give them a bit longer than half a season before you write them off.  As you say, the point is that they develop into better players we can sell in 2-3 years - they aren't there when we buy them.  So you have to allow that development over time. 

Now ideally we would do that with a couple at a time, not most of a squad, but we were where we were.  There are already signs most of our summer signings are improving as they settle.  Let's see how they look by the end of the season before judging.

Who's writing them off? don't be so precious I've asked a question based on what we've seen who has been great?

Just now, DCJonah said:

It's not just injury it's also form. Look at Engels at the start of the season and now. 

I just don't see why we put ourselves at risk. We can't be so desperate for money that we have to sell chester.

chester doesn't play

for all we know he's said to smith I want to play every week, smith said sorry mate the quality just isn't there post injury and chester said well can I leave and smith said after the good couple of years you gave us and playing through the injury yeah we owe you that

but somehow that's being painted as the club being stupid? not for me

• Like 3

As DCJonah said, its just an unnecesary risk no matter how you look at it. We don't need to sell Chester and Chester doesn't need to leave now as opposed to in 6 months or something.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

5 minutes ago, villan501 said:

Just seen ssn were struggling to get a striker for me villa recruitment and management are accountable they knew we needed a striker and backup strikers for well over a month. Leaving it to the last minute you get your fingers burnt.

It's not Football Manager. January sucks. We don't want back up on 4 year contract and we probably financially restricted from FFP. That leaves trying to get player, his agent, selling club to agree. We tried hard for Slimani apparently but there terms were a deal breaker

Edited by Kiwivillan

1 minute ago, Kiwivillan said:

It's not Football Manager. January sucks. We don't want back up on 4 year contract and we probably financially restricted from FFP. That leaves trying to get player player agent selling club to agree. We tried hard for Slimani apparently but there terms were a deal breaker

Get a grip football manager we knew what we needed have we got the personel required NO and we have had plenty of time.

Edited by villan501
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Not official but the general feeling is we have failed to identify or secure a viable signing.

Which may be correct, but at the moment appears to be based mainly on: "waaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Kind of ignored the fact we have 3 serious injuries and that one signing will be in the u23

I think people expecting 5,6 or 7 signings in January might have been a bit unrealistic. We made three first team signings which covered the 3 injuries and had a net spend of some £6-8m (depending on values quoted). That’s pretty impressive. 

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I think there's definitely an element of doing what's best for the player here, as opposed to the club. I'm not really on board with it, but I can see an argument for how Chester risked his whole career for us last season, so now we're letting him go (for his Euro chances) when it's probably better for the club that we don't.

I'm hoping there's a recall option in the loan. If there is, then you'd say the deal makes much more sense. Engels replaces Chester on the bench, and then if we get an injury to a centreback, we recall Chester and say "Sorry Stoke".

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rob182 said:

I'd like to know what level of player you consider to be 'great', as you're the one pressing other posters to name our 'great' signings.

Are Jack, Mings and McGinn the only 'great' players we have? Or would you consider Heaton to also be great.

Is 'great' relative to the price paid? I'd say Guilbert is a pretty great rightback for £4.3m. I'd say that Nakamba and Luiz both have the potential to be great players.

I'm not pressing anyone? I've asked if anyone thinks any of our signings have been great. 

I've already said who I think have been great signings from last summer.

chester doesn't play

for all we know he's said to smith I want to play every week, smith said sorry mate the quality just isn't there post injury and chester said well can I leave and smith said after the good couple of years you gave us and playing through the injury yeah we owe you that

but somehow that's being painted as the club being stupid? not for me

It's just an unnecessary risk where staying in this league or not will have major impacts on the club. 

I think taking unnecessary risks when so much is at stake is stupid. We don't need to do it.

2 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

As DCJonah said, its just an unnecesary risk no matter how you look at it. We don't need to sell Chester and Chester doesn't need to leave now as opposed to in 6 months or something.

Meh. I'd rather not treat the club like a footballing prison. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

It's not Football Manager. January sucks. We don't want back up on 4 year contract and we probably financially restricted from FFP. That leaves trying to get player, his agent, selling club to agree. We tried hard for Slimani apparently but there terms were a deal breaker

Come on, you're better than that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Laughable Chimp said:

He wants to play and prove his fitness to Wales to potentially get in to their Euro Championship squad.

I'm not saying we are right for letting him leave, just pointing out the reasons he has for leaving now.

1 minute ago, Rob182 said:

I think there's definitely an element of doing what's best for the player here, as opposed to the club. I'm not really on board with it, but I can see an argument for how Chester risked his whole career for us last season, so now we're letting him go (for his Euro chances) when it's probably better for the club that we don't.

I'm hoping there's a recall option in the loan. If there is, then you'd say the deal makes much more sense. Engels replaces Chester on the bench, and then if we get an injury to a centreback, we recall Chester and say "Sorry Stoke".

I will be forever grateful to what Chester did and I wouldn't want to be against him. But what a waste of all he did for us if we don't stay up this year.