January Transfers 2019/20

sne

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

One way to look at it, we signed Reina to replace Heaton. Samatta to replace Wes.

One player in to add to numbers and increase "quality." Danny Drinkwater.

Need to do much better in the summer window.

Drinkwater replaced mcginn.

We haven't added anything extra. 

2 minutes ago, useless said:

Apparently some Sky reporter at the ground has said he's been told that we're still looking for a striker, but finding it difficult. You never know if another clubs gets one in, that might open the door for us, apparently Palace want Ibe from Bournemouth, if that happens maybe we can get Benteke on loan.

Percy says Slimani but they being too complicated with loan arrangement. Benteke never going to happen. On stupid wages thankfully

• Like 1

Just now, VillaChris said:

McGinn I presume will actually play again this season unlike the other two so we've still boosted the midfield numbers compared to upfront.

Boosted near mid March. Until then he's a replacement. 

The club clearly won't just sign any old player just to add numbers. They have to not only have ability but be of the right character. If we were just looking at having players to make up numbers we would have kept Kodjia and even Hogan.

No one in their right mind would suggest it isn't a gamble not bringing in another striker. We would be hoping that Samatta and Davis stay fit for another 15 games. A risk but not beyond the realms that they could see out the next 3 months injury free.

As for letting Chester go I think we are doing that reluctantly to allow him to get game time to get himself into the wales team for the Euros. We may well feel we owe him that. The facts are also that two thirds of the way through the season he hasn't kicked a Premier League ball for us so whilst I'd like him to stay him going will not leave a big hole.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Making signings in January isn't easy ESPECIALLY if you're constrained by FFP. Rodgers said they can't afford to buy anyone at Leicester the other day. People think this a video game. 

Then keep kodj then let his contract run out he was given zero chances not like wes 12 games zero goals. A forward line choice of samatta davis and kodj if not signing anyone is better thsn just samatta and davis.

Premiership safety is at risk playing a winger or attacking mid is not good as main focal striker if samatta or davis gets injured then we will not survive and we all know it. Back 3 has been immense since switch but lacking depth knowing you have to score goals due to defence condeing or prone to errors is the concern.

Dropping out of prem due to not gaining sufficent reinforcements once summer comes smith will need a brand new squad because all assets will be sold and some wont stay.

Edited by villan501

6 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

So is our squad better after today than it was after the end of the summer window?

The squad definitely is, and if McGinn and Wesley were fit I'd be delighted. But we have Wesley out for the remainder of the season and Drinkwater is not as good as McGinn.

We've replaced Kodjia with Samatta, so that should be a fairly big improvement. However, I do think we are one injury away from a nightmare with Samatta and Davis being our only main options up front. Unless Louie Barry really is that good.

10 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

So is our squad better after today than it was after the end of the summer window?

The problem with this question is that it doesn't really take into account the injuries and the financial restraint that brings upon us.

If we ignore the injuries then, yes, our squad is better today than in the summer.

In:

Samatta, Drinkwater, Reina

Out:

Kodjia, Chester, potentially Jota

The players brought in are of a higher quality than the players leaving. So our squad is better.

• Like 2

Just now, jacketspuds said:

The squad definitely is, and if McGinn and Wesley were fit I'd be delighted. But we have Wesley out for the remainder of the season and Drinkwater is not as good as McGinn.

We've replaced Kodjia with Samatta, so that should be a fairly big improvement. However, I do think we are one injury away from a nightmare with Samatta and Davis being our only main options up front. Unless Louie Barry really is that good.

But those players aren't fit. 

We have Samatta and Davis as forwards. 

We are losing a defender. 

Where have we strengthened? I think Samatta will be better than Wesley but it's a dangerous game. We are putting all our eggs into a one striker basket just as we did in the summer. 

14 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

Who's writing them off? don't be so precious I've asked a question based on what we've seen who has been great?

Erm...you?

But my point is there are no stand out signings that I think we can sell in 2-3 years at a big profit

I'm not being precious, just saying that if we are buying players to sell on at a profit they have to develop and that takes time.  IMO it is too soon to say that none of the summer signings will be sold at a profit in a couple of years.  Not saying they will necessarily have the same trajectory, but see Traore for details.  

• Thanks 1

Just now, DCJonah said:

Where have we strengthened? I think Samatta will be better than Wesley but it's a dangerous game. We are putting all our eggs into a one striker basket just as we did in the summer. 

This is pretty much exactly what I posted.

Just now, Rob182 said:

The problem with this question is that it doesn't really take into account the injuries and the financial restraint that brings upon us.

If we ignore the injuries then, yes, our squad is better today than in the summer.

In:

Samatta, Drinkwater, Reina

Out:

Kodjia, Chester, potentially Jota

The players brought in are of a higher quality than the players leaving. So our squad is better.

But we can't ignore the injuries. 

I'm not saying it's easy and we should just go and spend money we haven't got. But as a team in a relegation fight I was hoping we would strengthen the team and give ourselves the best chance to stay up  

I don't think we've done much to really help smith. 

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

But we can't ignore the injuries. 

I'm not saying it's easy and we should just go and spend money we haven't got. But as a team in a relegation fight I was hoping we would strengthen the team and give ourselves the best chance to stay up  

I don't think we've done much to really help smith. 

If we can't ignore the injuries then we can't also ignore the difficulty of January and the finance restraints.

The fairer question would have been "Is our squad better today than it was on January 1st after Wesley and Heaton picked up injuries?", and I think the answer to that is - Yes.

Reina > Nyland

Samatta/Davis > Kodjia

Drinkwater > a crocked McGinn

Chester leaving seems to be the main source of frustration, but as others have said, he's not played a single Prem minute this year. Engels is, in my opinion, the better option to Chester anyway, and the 3 playing have looked pretty robust, fitness wise.

Not to mention that we don't even know if there will be a loan recall option in case we need him.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

You seem in a bit of a panic with all these posts?

When a first team player gets injured it is not sustainable to just go out and spend a similar amount of money on a ‘replacement’, effectively treating it as though we sold Wesley.

We were never going to sign a big money striker as well as Samatta. What would we do at the start of next season when we have 4 players competing for one position including 3 we payed big money for? 

I believe we might have tried to sign a 6 month loan to cover Wes but that would be a difficult sell to any player as they would likely be sitting on the bench behind our new signing and our young striker. 

• Like 2