January Transfers 2019/20

sne

Augustin may be a good player, but his record as a forward is pretty rubbish. While that doesn't mean he will never be good, or written off, it's fair to say hes a massive risk for the PL. Hence why, at a time many teams need a striker, he's heading to Leeds maybe?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AshVilla said:

Sturridge with his injury record would be a shocking signing. I wouldn't take him on a free let alone 5 million. Waste of time and wages.

In the summer i would agree.

But right now with really only 1 senior striker.. beggars can't be choosers

10 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

Augustin may be a good player, but his record as a forward is pretty rubbish. While that doesn't mean he will never be good, or written off, it's fair to say hes a massive risk for the PL. Hence why, at a time many teams need a striker, he's heading to Leeds maybe?

Every signing in football is a risk though. A risk that was worth taking.

He has a very good strike rate for various France under's groups. He reminds me of Odsonne Édouard before he went Celtic. That type of punt that Celtic took and Édouard has been brilliant! Édouard didn't score many in Ligue 1 before arriving at Celtic and scored 1 in 15 at Toulouse. Like Augustin he has excelled at various French under's groups with both having great scoring rates for France U21's etc.

Edited by Villan4Life
  • Like 1

Looks great to be fair, however it's obviously his injury record which is the concern.

As backup if he could stay fit, we could do worse.

I remember him coming on and scoring a shedload of goals as an impact player.

Deano has said we would "need to take risks"

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

1 minute ago, Villan4Life said:

He has a very good strike rate for various France under's groups. He reminds me of Odsonne Édouard before he went Celtic. That type of punt that Celtic took and Édouard has been brilliant! Édouard didn't score many before arriving at Celtic.

His record at youth level is very good. That's not unusual though. His senior record is what is pertinent to us as we need somebody to come and hit the ground running. If we were signing Augustin cheaply, with an eye on letting him him develop over a couple of years, I'd say its worth the risk. Otherwise, I wouldn't go near it, personally.

9 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Looks great to be fair, however it's obviously his injury record which is the concern.

As backup if he could stay fit, we could do worse.

I remember him coming on and scoring a shedload of goals as an impact player.

Christ, that standard looks bad. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Missing out? Did we want him?

Good point I meant I’m surprised we didn’t go in for him considering our current predicament and the fact he looks to be availble on loan. 

15 minutes ago, Villan4Life said:

He has a very good strike rate for various France under's groups. He reminds me of Odsonne Édouard before he went Celtic. That type of punt that Celtic took and Édouard has been brilliant! Édouard didn't score many in Ligue 1 before arriving at Celtic and scored 1 in 15 at Toulouse. Like Augustin he has excelled at various French under's groups with both having great scoring rates for France U21's etc.

as a loan yes definitely IMO

but its a loan with options to make the deal permanent...we don't know those options (I haven't seen them anyway)

playing devils advocate we like him, we enquired for a loan deal, player was up for it, Leipzig were up for it, 6 month loan with an obligation to buy for £20m should we stay up, is that a good deal for us? not so sure any more

and then you have to ask why a player that would be ok for us and therefore seemingly ok for several PL teams too hasn't joined another PL team? im not putting too much in to this "missing out" stuff yet, just something about it, Leeds aren't that big a draw so you have to assume no PL club wanted him

Just now, thabucks said:

Good point I meant I’m surprised we didn’t go in for him considering our current predicament and the fact he looks to be availble on loan. 

I'd have been amazed if we went for someone like that. We aren't in a position to gamble so much. 

We spent big on potential in the summer with Wesley and it's been close to a disaster. 

Samatta, while a bit of a gamble, is experienced and has an excellent goal scoring record. There's no way we should be going after a young kid sitting on the bench who has just moved to the championship.

1 hour ago, Villan4Life said:

Players need time! He is a very talented youngster that only could have improved if Villa had bought him in! He's very young but as @Dr_Pangloss said it's a punt! On loan to see how hew did we had nothing to lose.

You don't have to explain yourself to me. I never asked anybody to explain their credentials. We're on a discussion forum hiding behind usernames and we all have different opinions. I could be Arsene Wenger for all you know (I'm not). I just stated that I don't see him as being the answer to us in our current state. He might very well be a young player with potential but we've signed loads of those in recent years and not exactly got anywhere. Right now we need more of a proven striker who is in good or at least decent goal scoring form or has proven himself over a number of years. I don't really think now is the time to sign someone who has a lot of potential but has scored 0 goals all season.

I'm absolutely all for signing young, high potential players as I believe that is how you build a club for the long term, but right now we are looking no further than the next 5 months.