January Transfers 2019/20

sne

2 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Is this one of those hyped-up youngsters?  His track record suggests nothing special at all.  Leipzig were happy for him to go on loan to Monaco, where he barely played and didn't score.  Is he really amazing?

(Also, I love that these sort of players are generally viewed as "oh ****, we missed out" whereas if there's a link to a random, unknown player in, say, Romania who has a 1 in 2 scoring record over 200 games, we're all "this guy is so shit, what's the point")

funkiness of the name, i.e. ending with 'inho' or nationality also play a big part in how good a player is before anyone sees him play. 

55 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Is this one of those hyped-up youngsters?  His track record suggests nothing special at all.  Leipzig were happy for him to go on loan to Monaco, where he barely played and didn't score.  Is he really amazing?

(Also, I love that these sort of players are generally viewed as "oh ****, we missed out" whereas if there's a link to a random, unknown player in, say, Romania who has a 1 in 2 scoring record over 200 games, we're all "this guy is so shit, what's the point")

54 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

Yes he was. He didn't score a single goal for them. Wasn't very good at Leipzig either. I don't see how he'd have been the answer for us.

Players need time! He is a very talented youngster that only could have improved if Villa had bought him in! He's very young but as @Dr_Pangloss said it's a punt! On loan to see how hew did we had nothing to lose.

Edited by Villan4Life
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Villan4Life said:

Players need time! He is a very talented youngster that only could have improved if Villa had bought him in! He's very young but as @Dr_Pangloss said it's a punt! On loan to see how hew did we had nothing to lose.

I don't know why i have to explain myself to you both.. surely my credentials stand out and talent identifying?

I like the post saying he has a  bad 'track record' but when you actually look at it you see that he did pretty well at Leipzig (who are a top side and have a lot of quality) and has absolutely excelled at International youth level. We ought to be taking a punt on talented young players, especially when our exposure in terms of fees is low.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

Who?

He was linked in the summer although can't remember if it was just talk on here or actually made the papers. Was highly rated at Leipzig 18 months back but seems his career has stalled, not much different to Ademola Lookman really who I'm sure many would be excited if we signed him.

Interesting who we sign this week anyway. I imagine loads saw it but DS confirmed on BBC 1 on Saturday we very much wanted another forward in so nothing has changed in that desire despite getting Sammata in.

Edited by VillaChris

4 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Interesting btw his loan has ended at Monaco and he's gone on loan to Leeds. Apparently this can't happen with Slimani so just curious what the difference is here?

Some players do well at some clubs but not others. Augustin is 22 and Slimani is 31!!

Edited by Villan4Life

1 minute ago, Villan4Life said:

Some players do well at some clubs but not others. Augustin is 22 and Slimani is 30!!

No I meant, Monaco have terminated a loan and he's been sent out on loan somewhere else yet apparently this can't happen with Slim shady as Rodgers was saying last week.

4 minutes ago, Farlz said:

All gone very quiet regarding Villa transfer news, could still do with another striker.

It has, I don’t think anything further is likely to happen until deadline day. Not much point speculating ahead of time I guess, fairly happy with the signings we have made so far but we definitely need more...

51 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Someone on Radio WM swore he'd see Sturridge at Villa Park before the Watford game.

He phoned in the night before and said an ITK had told him we were in for Sturridge, and he believed him as he was a trusted source. 

Think he just saw anyone he wanted to see on the night of the Watford game to make the story real in his head.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I like the post saying he has a  bad 'track record' but when you actually look at it you see that he did pretty well at Leipzig (who are a top side and have a lot of quality) and has absolutely excelled at International youth level. We ought to be taking a punt on talented young players, especially when our exposure in terms of fees is low.

I can't see any post saying he has a bad track record?

Even so, he went from playing a lot of games (even if regularly on the bench) for Leipzig in that season, to barely featuring at all in 2018/19, to being loaned out to Monaco this season... and then barely playing for them.  It isn't exactly the normal path of an exciting prospect, so I'm curious as to why we've particularly missed out.

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

I can't see any post saying he has a bad track record?

Even so, he went from playing a lot of games (even if regularly on the bench) for Leipzig in that season, to barely featuring at all in 2018/19, to being loaned out to Monaco this season... and then barely playing for them.  It isn't exactly the normal path of an exciting prospect, so I'm curious as to why we've particularly missed out.

Leipzig are a top side, currently top of table and invested in attacking areas in order to push on etc. Doesn't really need Nancy Drew to investigate this mystery, as things stand he's not good enough to play for a side who are top of the table and also in the Champions League. Doesn't make mean he wouldn't improve us and isn't a talent player.

• Like 1

Really surprised that Augustin has gone Leeds. Would have been very useful here.

The questions about his attitude go back years to PSG though, maybe we decided wasn't right for us. Getting out of the spotlight and into a squad that works really hard around him should be good for him.

That's all Leeds have needed for a long time now anyway, a forward.