January Transfers 2019/20

sne

14 minutes ago, sne said:

We messed up with the attacking recruitment in the summer, no doubt about it.

Wesley was a gamble, Kodjia was never going to made it in the PL and Davis is still young and not a goalscorer.

The wide options were also gambles, El Ghazi I think is a good rotation player but Jota was never going to handle the pace and Trez was also a here's hoping signing.

Now with the summer being like it was with a mad scramble to get players in at all positions it's not really that hard to see why it turned out like it did.

But even before Wes got injured we desperately needed a striker in so I was hoping we had one lined up straight away and then add another one (possibly on loan) due to the injury.

All difficulties aside, going January without a striker would be unacceptable job by the board

Top post - bang on

13 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

i know you're an FM fan as I've discussed it with you on it's own thread previously, but surely you know that it's not that easy to sign players in real life? in Football Manager i could wrap up 6/7 signings in a single game day. in real life that would be physically impossible. do you have any idea the complexities involved in an actual football player transfer? smith himself has alluded to the number of stars that need to align in order to get a player in this window. not to mention any half decent striker that's available and affordable is going to be wanted by most teams in the bottom half on the basis that none of these teams are safe.

I am sorry, but that's just a rubbish excuse. 

We have known for 5 months we've needed another striker. It should have been the first thing we made right this window. Saying it's difficult for a PL club with our scouting connections to find one suitable professional striker to do a job for us when we have 5 months to look around is just pure nonsense. It's obviously easy, as every club in the world are capable of doing it. 
We simply put have not done the due diligence. Whether it's because we are broke, or whether it's because our recruitment department are utter shite, or whether Deano got it all wrong, I don't know.

But lets not pretend it's not easy for a club like ours to find a single striker in the world that can do a job, when we got 5 months to do so. Most clubs got a list of players on the pad for any given position if the need should come up. Even my local Norwegian club does that, and it pays players what £ 10 k a year. We clearly don't. Time to call a spade a spade, and our striker predicament is utterly embarrassing. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

We have known for 5 months we've needed another striker. It should have been the first thing we made right this window. Saying it's difficult for a PL club with our scouting connections to find one suitable professional striker to do a job for us when we have 5 months to look around is just pure nonsense. It's obviously easy, as every club in the world are capable of doing it. 
We simply put have not done the due diligence. Whether it's because we are broke, or whether it's because our recruitment department are utter shite, or whether Deano got it all wrong, I don't know.

But lets not pretend it's not easy for a club like ours to find a single striker in the world that can do a job, when we got 5 months to do so. Most clubs got a list of players on the pad for any given position if the need should come up. Even my local Norwegian club does that, and it pays players what £ 10 k a year. We clearly don't. Time to call a spade a spade, and our striker predicament is utterly embarrassing. 

Football is very complicated.

But we have a recruitment team here getting paid a lot of money and there will be individuals (like Suso) here on big bucks. You're totally right that the search for a striker should have started months ago. 

Failure to sign a good striker will be nothing short of a failure for the recruitment team. I'm sure they're putting in effort, but perhaps they're not casting the net wide enough. There quite simply are no excuses for not landing a forward this month.

8 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I genuinely don't think it all works the way you think it does.

8 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

highlighted a couple of points in bold. are you able to share your inside source where you know of these points to be true? or are you simply saying that this has obviously not happened on the basis that we still don't have a striker?

• Like 2

But if we were trying to sign a second striker in the summer but didn't manage before the window closed, did we just say f it let's shut down scouting and negotiation until January?

You can sign players all year, you just can't register them until the window opens. 

If there had been a deal close we could have easily finished it and then registered him on the first day of January.

I think the club took a let's wait and see stance to it and are now panicking a bit because of it.

• Like 1

I don't think anybody is really arguing that it's 'easy' as such, but it has to be done, and people are being paid a lot of money to do it. Doing brain surgery, headhunting CEO's, running IPO roadshows and managing NHS trusts also aren't 'easy', but a certain level of performance is expected when people are receiving salaries of hundreds of thousands of pounds per year. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, lexicon said:

He's right lads. It's a piece of piss to find players that slot into your team well, with all the physical, mental and technical attributes that you need to complement the team. Literally everybody does it and wins the league every season. Why aren't we doing that? It's an absolute disgrace. 

This is the best example of reductio ad absurdum I've ever seen.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

This is the best example of reductio ad absurdum I've ever seen.

He's right though. Man U are dogshit for years now. Saw the team vs City in cup and worst one in living memory. They're completely leveraged on debt according to a friend in the markets though he's a Leeds fan. They're like us under MON for those 3 seasons. Thereabouts but so far off the top. It's this that makes me crack up with the made up rumours of Grealish to Man U. 

The only way we could have signed a sought after player early in this window is if we offer the selling club a bid way over the actual  price of the player and we offer the player wages way above what they would expect to get .

Would this be wise considering we may have FFP issues next year?Do people remember everyone critiquing Xia and co when we going bankrupt saying how we shouldn’t have been so reckless with money.

I don’t think any big deals will get done until the last few days of this window.We have 2 games before then and will just have to manage without a striker.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Football is very complicated.

But we have a recruitment team here getting paid a lot of money and there will be individuals (like Suso) here on big bucks. You're totally right that the search for a striker should have started months ago. 

Failure to sign a good striker will be nothing short of a failure for the recruitment team. I'm sure they're putting in effort, but perhaps they're not casting the net wide enough. There quite simply are no excuses for not landing a forward this month.

It’s more than likely that the board has a ‘last resort’ striker deal all but done should we reach the end of the window and not get a better deal done. Someone like Benteke or Assombalonga who admittedly would be concerning, but I’m confident we won’t go through the window without signing at least one striker. 

In the meantime, tomav84 is right that there’s a lot of stars that need to align to get deals done, particularly in January. It’s a game of cat and mouse right up until the last day then the dominos fall.

I’m sure we are out there actively trying to get the right deals done but are doing so in a sensible manner from a financial standpoint - every single club will be holding us at ransom due to our current desperation. The question should be whether it’s worth getting fleeced at this point in the window in order to get a striker in for the games up until the window closes. I personally am sitting on the fence, but I bet the majority who say yes will be the same ones saying six months from now “I can’t believe the board wasted 40 million on that loser” if it doesn’t yield the results they’re expecting. 

Edited by The Hawk

Wasn't exactly happy with our striker options at the start of the season, one of the areas I think the club got all wrong. It's only gotten worse since then and Wesley's been average at best, certainly not worth the money the club paid. 

Honestly not to keen on Benteke returning, though I doubt he'd be any worse then Wesley. Who knows what the rest of January will bring however. 🙁