January Transfers 2019/20

sne

23 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Dundee United fan on non football FB group I'm in posted about his hat trick and I joked we should sign him and he said he's good but not PL level maybe Championship

He might well be right given he will have seen more of him, but I have liked what little I have seen of him myself and I think that he could well develop into a decent striker. Might be a risk worth taking.

56 minutes ago, John said:

He might well be right given he will have seen more of him, but I have liked what little I have seen of him myself and I think that he could well develop into a decent striker. Might be a risk worth taking.

Certainly. We've been one of the worst clubs for decades for not picking up the cheap gems. McGinn first in ages

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

I really hope there is something in the Nzonzi rumours, he is exactly what we need and would be an amazing signing. Most probably other teams would jump ahead of us in the que though, get it done fast!

I'm not sure.

Two years ago his stock was at all time high as he was very good for Sevilla in La Liga and CL, Juventus were linked. Went to Roma and he flopped. Sent out like many outcasts to Turkey and dosen't seem to have been great out there either.

It does feel the sort of signing a relegation threatened club would make. Lazy to yet again do a Fulham comparison but they signed Ryan Babel this time last year who had similar career decline and he wasn't actually too bad for them, far from their worst signing that window.

N'zonzi would improve our 11 but we need more than that to stay up.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hippo said:

Dunno last year we got kalnic on day 1 (a big deal for us at the time) - Bent arrived pretty early in the window - as did Carew and Ashley Young.

Sure it's going back a few years - but big deals do happen early in the window.

Carew and Young actually arrived pretty late in the window, they both made their debut up at Newcastle which was right at the end of January 2007. Very exciting day/evening that was as was Monday 17th January 2011 when we signed Darren Bent.

Problem here is we're potentially going to just let slip two huge games in Brighton and Watford go by while we wait for signings and make the overall task much harder. At least the Burnley win has still kept us in touch, imagine if we'd lost that one aswell.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

How do Watford keep plucking these **** gems out of South America and Spain and they don't pay silly money either.

What unknown gems, they got Pererya from Juve and he'd played in a CL final the season before. Delefeou was at Barca.

Those are the types we need to be signing more of imo. Players who haven't quite cut it at major clubs but still vastly experienced in the 25-28 age bracket.

• Like 4

This may be wrong but it feels like since MON we haven’t actually found a proper gem other than Benteke and Gueye (and neither of them wanted to play for us). We sure have pissed a lot of money up the wall. 

5 minutes ago, Spoony said:

This may be wrong but it feels like since MON we haven’t actually found a proper gem other than Benteke and Gueye (and neither of them wanted to play for us). We sure have pissed a lot of money up the wall. 

Also lost best players in a generation in likes of Barry Milner and Young because MON spunked money on likes of Harewood Knight Beye Heskey Dunne 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, maqroll said:

Watford just poached a poacher. Is he any good?

He's got pace and can pick a pass. No doubt he'll have a blinder against us in a few days.

Edited by Spray

4 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

How do Watford keep plucking these **** gems out of South America and Spain and they don't pay silly money either.

They’ve just signed someone from Udinese, who’s owner is the father of Watford’s owner.. makes it easier to get cheaper deals 

Love our CEO, owners, DOF, manager & staff. That said ....... here it comes :)

its a bloody disgrace we do not have a striker in yet half way through the window. Come ON. We have known we will need one for at least two months as a backup / different option to Wesley at least and as it turns out as a replacement for the rest of season.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Love our CEO, owners, DOF, manager & staff. That said ....... here it comes :)

its a bloody disgrace we do not have a striker in yet half way through the window. Come ON. We have known we will need one for at least two months as a backup / different option to Wesley at least and as it turns out as a replacement for the rest of season.

They’ll be working on it. It doesn’t just happen that quickly - particularly in January. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1