January Transfers 2019/20

sne

5 minutes ago, hippo said:

Agreed.

My point is those players have produced very little.

We went on that spending spree to preserve our premier league status - objective on target to being achieved ?

The truth is we needed to fill the squad up too. How much did we spend on average over all those players? It was peanuts for players in the premier league. They have produced about what could be expected for their prices, generally speaking. This season was always going to be this kind of challenge.

That's not to say we couldn't have made some shrewd alternative signings, but it's far too easy to say all that in hindsight.

EDIT: It also doesn't help that it's our most important players who keep getting injured too (so far we've been without Grealish, McGinn, Mings, Heaton, Targett (important when the backup is Taylor) for periods, Wes to a degree (he has had some good games), and Davies (as a useful alternative who can hold the ball up)).

Edited by praisedmambo
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, praisedmambo said:

Do you still think we signed all those players at the beginning of January?

What I think is completely irrelevant tbh! I don't have a clue. Obviously, I hope so.

EDIT: My opinion is that the basic truth is that we're likely not a very attractive option for 'top notch', and if we're hamstrung by financial fair play then that is serious: there are potential points deductions to be had. We can achieve what we want without 'top notch' anyway. We obviously want 17th+ and then a chance to build with a bit more balance next season.

All I asking is if you think quality  players are arriving at VP towards the end of window ?

I agree on all the other stuff 

• Like 1

I'm disappointed that I have yet to at least read that, "Villa are reportedly preparing/readying a bid for a striker". 😉

We really need to have someone in to play up front, by the weekend. I hope we are in for an amazingly big signing, but in the interim surely we can bring in a young striker with potential, who could in time prove to be a shrewd investment and might  potentially do a half decent job in the next couple of games. Someone like Shankland from Dundee United for example, would probably be gettable, at a reasonable price.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, John said:

Someone like Shankland from Dundee United for example, would probably be gettable, at a reasonable price.

Dundee United fan on non football FB group I'm in posted about his hat trick and I joked we should sign him and he said he's good but not PL level maybe Championship

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, hippo said:

All I asking is if you think quality  players are arriving at VP towards the end of window ?

I agree on all the other stuff 

Oh OK. All good! As I say, I have no idea. I just hope so. I'm ready for people who can do a job in the prem. N'Zonzi, Benteke—seriously I think these types of players can make a difference. We're light and we lack experience.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, praisedmambo said:

Oh OK. All good! As I say, I have no idea. I just hope so. I'm ready for people who can do a job in the prem. N'Zonzi, Benteke—seriously I think these types of players can make a difference. We're light and we lack experience.

Benteke 4 goals in last 62 for Palace just a stat outlier

1 minute ago, Kiwivillan said:

He's still getting games in a much better team than we are. He's someone who can hold the ball up and win headers. Wes has, what, four goals or something? Yet even with his low goal tally, at least up to a point this season, scoring goals wasn't our problem. It's a team game. We are shockingly light up front and I think he'd make a huge difference to having nobody.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, hippo said:

But what sort of player do you think we are in for then ? 

Whenever they arrive I'm expecting Glen Murray, Benteke calibre rather than Piatek 

Our hope is that one of the lesser lights clicks for a few months - I'm just not sensing that we are waiting for top notch.

That’s the thing, we aim high and move down the list if our targets are not obtainable. We could be trying to buy a 30m plus forward for all we know but can’t get the deal done. We could end up out of desperation loaning a cast off on deadline day but we shouldn’t be doing that at the start of the window.

1 minute ago, praisedmambo said:

He's still getting games in a much better team than we are. He's someone who can hold the ball up and win headers. Wes has, what, four goals or something? Yet even with his low goal tally, at least up to a point this season, scoring goals wasn't our problem. It's a team game. We are shockingly light up front and I think he'd make a huge difference to having nobody.

Palace 116 goals in 98 games last 2 and half seasons. Benteke 4 goal 7 assists 62 appearances 

Villa 28 goals in 22 this season. Wesley 5 goals 1 assist 21 appearances

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Kiwi, I was wondering, do you per chance have any feelings on Christian Benteke and a possible return to Aston Villa? 😂

Edited by VillaHatesMe
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, hippo said:

Agreed.

My point is those players have produced very little.

We went on that spending spree to preserve our premier league status - objective on target to being achieved ?

No, one point off. Not achieved but probably don’t need to be cutting the EFL logo into our arms like some are ;)

22 minutes ago, Farlz said:

Nothing new on striker news again tonight. Starting to feel we might not have one in for Brighton.

This could be the comment on an under 12 newsletter or Sunday pub team insta post substitute Yardley boys or the Dog and Duck for Brighton and there you have it. We should be better.

I thought N'Zonzi was older than he actually is. Turned 31 a month ago. Still a good few years left as a top player.

Heard on SSN that the Piatek offer is still on the table, but nobody really knows what's going on other than that.

As long as Suso and Smith do I don't care.

• Like 1