January Transfers 2019/20

sne

Just now, Elton said:

Yes, I mentioned Kalinic but that didn’t go too well. The other ones do go back years but the pattern in the last few years is very clear. 99% of January deals are late. Teams want to organise replacements, players want to weigh up options etc.

The only players we will attract early are usually in the following categories:

A: Ones teams are glad to be rid of or surplus to requirements. Drinkwater, Reina.

B. We pay massively over the odds. 

C. Player isn’t good enough to attract a better club. Drinkwater.

If we want a game changing signing we most likely have to be patient.

?

All I was saying is that deals can and do get done early in the window.

IIRC - wasn't the last winter window where nothing much happened at all ? - could be wrong on that though.

19 minutes ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

I really hope there is something in the Nzonzi rumours, he is exactly what we need and would be an amazing signing. Most probably other teams would jump ahead of us in the que though, get it done fast!

Totally agree he's exacty what we need

Just now, hippo said:

?

IIRC - wasn't the last winter window where nothing much happened at all ? - could be wrong on that though.

They generally don't get done early, though, because of the shuffling around that's needed in a relatively tight window.  If we want a decent player, they will be registered as part of a squad and will need replacing.  So even if the selling club agrees, they'll then need to line up a replacement.  And that club will need a replacement.  And then maybe the one afterwards... etc.

So, generally, January is an appalling time to do business and deals will take longer to get done, too.

5 minutes ago, hippo said:

?

I appreciate that but it is very difficult to do deals in January. A lot of things have to line up. Fans (not you or anyone specifically) saying we should have had a forward lined up to sign on the first day of the window are living in cloud cuckoo land.

Edited by Elton
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

They generally don't get done early, though, because of the shuffling around that's needed in a relatively tight window.  If we want a decent player, they will be registered as part of a squad and will need replacing.  So even if the selling club agrees, they'll then need to line up a replacement.  And that club will need a replacement.  And then maybe the one afterwards... etc.

So, generally, January is an appalling time to do business and deals will take longer to get done, too.

OK fair point.

Must admit though I am not expecting a Darren Bent type signing scuttling through the door in the last hours of the window. - I don't think there is major signing incoming.

I’m most lost on understanding FFP rules now.

Everton reported ~100m loss this year, but interest free lending blah blah blah and they avoid punishment

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/everton-avoid-punishment-despite-eye-21280395

Whereas we are worried about breaking FFP but if we go down, how much could we lose over the years compared to investing in a quality striker now in the hope of avoiding relegation.

Edit: Everton profitable in the prior two years so under the 105m three year cycle For FFP.  Wow what an outlay this year on players then for Marco Silva before he got the sack

Edited by nick76

1 minute ago, Elton said:

I appreciate that but it is very difficult to do deals in January. A lot of things have to line up. Fans (not you or anyone specifically) saying we should have had a forward lined up to sign on the first day of the window are living in cloud cuckoo land.

Cloud cuckoo land or not - it doesn't matter - end result is that we need a decent striker - I'm not saying it's easy (I'm sure it isn't)

But we either have such a striker or we don't - the reasons and how difficult it is count for nothing in the harsh reality of gaining premier league points.

25 minutes ago, hippo said:

Dunno last year we got kalnic on day 1 (a big deal for us at the time) - Bent arrived pretty early in the window - as did Carew and Ashley Young.

Sure it's going back a few years - but big deals do happen early in the window.

Is that Darren Bent who we signed on the 18th of January? Or John Carew who we signed on the 22nd of January? Or Ashley Young who we signed on the 23rd of January?  🤨

Every year it's the same—people expect these transfers to be simple. Every year it blows my mind that people haven't learnt yet that the whole market in January is pretty much a stagnant mess.

Not to mention that back in the day when we signed Young and Carew, we were a pretty well-established Premier League team not in the relegation zone. Sure, we were struggling when Bent came, but we were still an established Premier League team.

So we signed one player early (Kalinic) once, therefore all transfers in January are easy.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hippo said:

Cloud cuckoo land or not - it doesn't matter - end result is that we need a decent striker - I'm not saying it's easy (I'm sure it isn't)

But we either have such a striker or we don't - the reasons and how difficult it is count for nothing in the harsh reality of gaining premier league points.

If course we do, I’d have loved to see a quality striker come in on January 1 but I’m realistic enough to know that wasn’t going to happen unless we were after some absolute dross. Frankly I think it’s a good sign that we haven’t panic bought some rubbish forward already, such as Benteke.

Just now, praisedmambo said:

Is that Darren Bent who we signed on the 18th of January? Or John Carew who we signed on the 22nd of January? Or Ashley Young who we signed on the 23rd of January?  🤨

Every year it's the same—people expect these transfers to be simple. Every year it blows my mind that people haven't learnt yet that the whole market in January is pretty much a stagnant mess.

Not to mention that back in the day when we signed Young and Carew, we were a pretty well-established Premier League team not in the relegation zone. Sure, we were struggling when Bent came, but we were still an established Premier League team.

So we signed one player early (Kalinic) once, therefore all transfers in January are easy.

So you think new players of sufficient quality will arrive in the next couple of weeks ?

50 minutes ago, hippo said:

Yes - my concern as a supporter is we have so little to show for our £127m spending spree

I wonder how the owners feel ? It's effectively there money !

Without that spending spree we wouldn't even be able to field a first 11, let alone subs too!

The team would be (of those fit, which seems relevant): Nyland, Guilbert, Chester, _________, Taylor, Hourihane, Lansbury, Grealish, Elmo, Kodjia, _____________ and we'd have the subs of: __________________, _____________________, _____________________, ____________________, ______________________, ________________________, _______________________.

And we'd have literally zero points.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Elton said:

If course we do, I’d have loved to see a quality striker come in on January 1 but I’m realistic enough to know that wasn’t going to happen unless we were after some absolute dross. Frankly I think it’s a good sign that we haven’t panic bought some rubbish forward already, such as Benteke.

But what sort of player do you think we are in for then ? 

Whenever they arrive I'm expecting Glen Murray, Benteke calibre rather than Piatek 

Our hope is that one of the lesser lights clicks for a few months - I'm just not sensing that we are waiting for top notch.

8 minutes ago, hippo said:

So you think new players of sufficient quality will arrive in the next couple of weeks ?

Do you still think we signed all those players at the beginning of January?

What I think is completely irrelevant tbh! I don't have a clue. Obviously, I hope so.

EDIT: My opinion is that the basic truth is that we're likely not a very attractive option for 'top notch', and if we're hamstrung by financial fair play then that is serious: there are potential points deductions to be had. We can achieve what we want without 'top notch' anyway. We obviously want 17th+ and then a chance to build with a bit more balance next season.

Edited by praisedmambo

1 minute ago, praisedmambo said:

Without that spending spree we wouldn't even be able to field a first 11, let alone subs too!

The team would be (of those fit, which seems relevant): Nyland, Guilbert, Chester, _________, Taylor, Hourihane, Lansbury, Grealish, Elmo, Kodjia, _____________ and we'd have the subs of: __________________, _____________________, _____________________, ____________________, ______________________, ________________________, _______________________.

And we'd have literally zero points.

Agreed.

My point is those players have produced very little.

We went on that spending spree to preserve our premier league status - objective on target to being achieved ?