January Transfers 2019/20

sne

6 hours ago, VillaChris said:

What unknown gems, they got Pererya from Juve and he'd played in a CL final the season before. Delefeou was at Barca.

Those are the types we need to be signing more of imo. Players who haven't quite cut it at major clubs but still vastly experienced in the 25-28 age bracket.

They paid around 24m for the pair of them. Very good business that. Especially Delefou for 12 million. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

They paid around 24m for the pair of them. Very good business that. Especially Delefou for 12 million. 

Wasn't he a flop at Everton? Hardly spotting Dwight Yorke on a Caribbean beach is it. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TreeVillan said:

Wasn't he a flop at Everton? Hardly spotting Dwight Yorke on a Caribbean beach is it. 

I don’t remember him being a flop at Everton. Always looked good to me and I was surprised they didn’t sign him. 

Considering we signed Trez for the same amount it seems good business to me. 12m is peanuts these days and he was an obvious talent but surplus to requirement at Barcelona. Hence the fee and the reason it was ‘good business’.   

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, TreeVillan said:

I think it's rather smart to take a punt on expensive flops at other clubs. By doing this you;

1) pay less than the original market price

2) the player will have a season of experience from the PL already

3) he will have a wish to prove a point. 

This really is something we should do a lot more of. But it also points out the importance of being patient with players we've recently bought that hasn't impressed some people yet. Like Trez, Marvelous, Luiz etc.

Edited by KenjiOgiwara
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, mattyvilla said:

My concern is that we have a very tough run in , for me if we dont win 3 out of the next 6 we will probably be relegated.It was obvious we needed a striker weeks ago , yet we are 3 days away from playing another game without a striker

Yep, those are my worries too. And I think most Villa fans feel the same frustration. But I don’t think that makes it feel like the last days of Lerner... 

34 minutes ago, eholm said:

Yes but we do not really have time to be patient unfortunately. Us ‘panickers’ fully understand and appreciate the intricacies and technicalities that a challenging Jan window present. 

My challenge back would be that those who see the fact that we will eventually sign players by the end of Jan and that patience is the key are, IMO, somewhat naive about our remaining games  

IF we lose the next 3 games, not beyond the realms of possibility considering our lack of a striker, we will have 21 points with 13 games to play. Arguably we will need to win 5 games and will face the top 6 within those 13 games. We have only won 6 games all season....the numbers do not look good, I’m sure you will agree. I’m struggling to see where those 5 wins will come after our next 3 matches  

The next 3 games are, without doubt, our best remaining opportunities to get some wins - that is why it is ESSENTIAL that forward players are signed and signed bloody sheepish. 

Obviously this all IMO and don’t take it as me having a go....it’s a good debate to have 👍

I’m just dealing in the unfortunate facts of the January window not emotion. Obviously I agree, sign all the forwards!! (Even though our leaky defence is clearly our biggest issue).

4 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

The thing with players as everyone joked about Reina and Milan is that its an unattractive place to live here. Pretending we're the same level, the 'lifestyle' is so important these days players would choose a Palace over a Villa. 

Whilst I do agree with this, I personally fail to see the hype with some of the places players and their families find so desirable. Has anyone actually been to Milan? I went a few years ago for a long weekend and I have to say, for a city so 'renowned' for its culture, it was a bit of a graffiti laden hole.

3 minutes ago, RichiBoi11 said:

Whilst I do agree with this, I personally fail to see the hype with some of the places players and their families find so desirable. Has anyone actually been to Milan? I went a few years ago for a long weekend and I have to say, for a city so 'renowned' for its culture, it was a bit of a graffiti laden hole.

I’ve been a few time’s and really liked it. The Duomo is one of the most beautiful buildings ever. There’s art too, and amazing food. We went to a Michelin star restaurant and it was amazing. 
Living somewhere and visiting is different though, but I loved Milan!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RichiBoi11 said:

I agree. A lot of Italy is pretty horrible (sorry any Italians here). I travelled around there a little bit. Naples has like zero central government control whatsoever. Venice smells funny and is ridiculously packed. The nicest parts I found by far were the islands, Sicily Sardinia etc. 

That said for shopping and other sort of lifestyle/wag necessities it's a desirable place to be. 

6 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

I agree. A lot of Italy is pretty horrible (sorry any Italians here). I travelled around there a little bit. Naples has like zero central government control whatsoever. Venice smells funny and is ridiculously packed. The nicest parts I found by far were the islands, Sicily Sardinia etc. 

That said for shopping and other sort of lifestyle/wag necessities it's a desirable place to be. 

Italy is not horrible by any means! Italy is one of the most beautiful countries in the world... I’ve been many times, to lots of different places and it’s an amazing country with kind lovely people and brilliant food and history.

Each to their own but I’m not sure how any one can say an entire country is horrible, especially Italy.

Edited by alreadyexists
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, alreadyexists said:

Italy is not horrible by any means! Italy is one of the most beautiful countries in the world... I’ve been many times, to lots of different places and it’s an amazing country with kind lovely people and brilliant food and history.

Each to their own but I’m not sure how any one can say an entire country is horrible, especially Italy.

Yes that's pretty unfair to be honest. A lot of parts of the big cities are quite grim but that's the same for anywhere. I stand by Venice and Naples comments though 😁

I travelled around monte grappa and some of the mountain ranges which saw heavy fighting in WW1. Absolutely spectacular 

Edited by VillaJ100

53 minutes ago, Elton said:

I’m just dealing in the unfortunate facts of the January window not emotion. Obviously I agree, sign all the forwards!! (Even though our leaky defence is clearly our biggest issue).

No 'emotion' on my part...I'm just dealing with the facts of our fixture list and remaining games.

3 hours ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Love our CEO, owners, DOF, manager & staff. That said ....... here it comes :)

its a bloody disgrace we do not have a striker in yet half way through the window. Come ON. We have known we will need one for at least two months as a backup / different option to Wesley at least and as it turns out as a replacement for the rest of season.

I'm of a generation saw 1st aired episode  of Smurfs in LA hotel aged 5 in 1981 and all the Smurfs would always say "are we there yet" and Papa Smurf would say "not much further my little Smurflings"

• Haha 1