January Transfers 2019/20

sne

1 minute ago, hippo said:

I must admit that's what's worries me. I don't fear relegation as much as I fear these owners getting bored.

We're a year ahead of schedule remember. They had planned to be in Championship another year. We won't be giving stupid contracts out to junk players anymore one would hope

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

We're a year ahead of schedule remember. They had planned to be in Championship another year. We won't be giving stupid contracts out to junk players anymore one would hope

Yes - my concern as a supporter is we have so little to show for our £127m spending spree

I wonder how the owners feel ? It's effectively there money !

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

Really? The owners spent £120 million just 6 months ago and we won promotion to the Premier League just before that... things seem so much better than the end of the Lerner days to me. 
I’m normally a pessimist, but if we get a striker, which we will, then we’ve every chance of staying up.

My concern is that we have a very tough run in , for me if we dont win 3 out of the next 6 we will probably be relegated.It was obvious we needed a striker weeks ago , yet we are 3 days away from playing another game without a striker

• Like 1

It’s as though a lot of posters, the panicking ones, have never experienced a January transfer window before. We should all know the big deals rarely happen until the last day or 2 of the window. Earlier signings are usually other teams cast offs. Remember we did a deal really early last January, ready for the start of the window. What a signing Kalinic turned out to be..

Edited by Elton
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

People just can't comprehend the cost of players now. Richarlison cost 50m several seasons ago and I think he's overrated. Maguire 80m. We bought half a team and some are great prospects like Konsa. Wesley has scored as many to date as your idol Benteke in his debut season. What's to say he wouldn't have clicked second half of season like Benteke. We've been struck by key injuries at key periods

That's all very true. 

With regards to Benwesley - I think Benteke looked stronger and had better form at previous clubs than Wesley.

I had never heard of Benteke when we signed him - I do remember that many on here had - and couldn't believe we were landing such a rising star.

I didn't sense any of the above for wesley. 

2 minutes ago, Elton said:

It’s as though a lot of posters, the panicking ones, have never experienced a January transfer window before. We should all know the big deals rarely happen until the last day or 2 of the window. Earlier signings are usually other teams cast offs. Remember we did a deal really early last January, ready for the start of the window. What a signing Kalinic turned out to be..

Dunno last year we got kalnic on day 1 (a big deal for us at the time) - Bent arrived pretty early in the window - as did Carew and Ashley Young.

Sure it's going back a few years - but big deals do happen early in the window.

3 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Will French 2nd league player cut it in PL?

plenty in past have cut it!!
N’Golo Kante was playing in Ligue 2 at one point Also  Riyad Mahez and many others. It doesn’t matter what league they come from/ used to be in.. as long as they have talent and very good potential.

Edited by Villan4Life
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, hippo said:

That's all very true. 

With regards to Benwesley - I think Benteke looked stronger and had better form at previous clubs than Wesley.

I had never heard of Benteke when we signed him - I do remember that many on here had - and couldn't believe we were landing such a rising star.

I didn't sense any of the above for wesley. 

Although I just posted this in Wesley thread deserves to act as reply here to dispel some Benteke myths. I remember around new year 2013 people were saying Benteke was junk and we bought a dud

Benteke debut season = 19 league goals

Benteke debut season as at 14th Jan = 6 goals

Jan 14th 2013 total team goals = 15

Jan 14th 2020 total team goals = 28

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Villan4Life said:

plenty in past have cut it!!
N’Golo Kante was playing in Ligue 2 at one point Also  Riyad Mahez and many others. It doesn’t matter what league they come from/ used to be in.. as long as they have talent and very good potential.

And Nzonzi when Blackburn signed him for tiny money.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

You would hope so. But if we are only one year ahead of schedule, going back to the championship next season puts us a year behind schedule

• Like 1

Just now, hippo said:

Dunno last year we got kalnic on day 1 (a big deal for us at the time) - Bent arrived pretty early in the window - as did Carew and Ashley Young.

Sure it's going back a few years - but big deals do happen early in the window.

Yes, I mentioned Kalinic but that didn’t go too well. The other ones do go back years but the pattern in the last few years is very clear. 99% of January deals are late. Teams want to organise replacements, players want to weigh up options etc.

The only players we will attract early are usually in the following categories:

A: Ones teams are glad to be rid of or surplus to requirements. Drinkwater, Reina.

B. We pay massively over the odds. 

C. Player isn’t good enough to attract a better club. Drinkwater.

If we want a game changing signing we most likely have to be patient.

3 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Although I just posted this in Wesley thread deserves to act as reply here to dispel some Benteke myths. I remember around new year 2013 people were saying Benteke was junk and we bought a dud

Benteke debut season = 19 league goals

Benteke debut season as at 14th Jan = 6 goals

Jan 14th 2013 total team goals = 15

Jan 14th 2020 total team goals = 28

Those look reasonable stats to me !