January Transfers 2019/20

sne

3 minutes ago, av1 said:

I'm the least "itk" person you will ever meet, I know sod all about the workings or finances of the club, so maybe I'm just being naive, but for some reason I'm confident that we will get what we need this month. 

Source?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, av1 said:

I'm the least "itk" person you will ever meet, I know sod all about the workings or finances of the club, so maybe I'm just being naive, but for some reason I'm confident that we will get what we need this month. 

I agree with you here....however, the real issue is WHEN we get them in. The survival ship may we’ll have sailed if we have to wait until end of the month to get them signed. Concerning times. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cyrusr said:

Sorry @hippo I completely disagree.

No it wasn't an awful window, we had to have a huge turnaround in players. Of those that were not on loan last season, only arguably Grealish, McGinn, Hourihane, Lansbury, Steer, Elmohamady, Chester, Kodjia and Taylor were going to be around the 1st team. That's 9 players. We needed to practically sign a full team because of the numbers that were not good enough. We had 20 (including youth) players leave permanently and 7 go out on loan. That was the big issue with the transfer policies with previous regimes but that is a different point. 

Of those that we have brought in some have been wonderful (Mings, Heaton), others have definitely shown glimpses of being really good players. Not a few months ago people were singing the praises of Nakamba, Engels, Targett and Luiz. Some players are off form but surely you can expect that every now and then? El Ghazi, Konsa, Trezeguet, Hause and Wesley have had moments where they have looked the real deal. Some haven't been as good as we would hope for (Jota, Wesley) but still you expect there to be some that struggle. Every transfer is a gamble is it not? 

We also had a tough run of games of Man City, Liverpool, Wolverhampton, Newcastle, Man City, Chelsea and Leicester. Only Newcastle was an "easy" game for 3 points. We have had a poor month in December where we struggled to get points we should have done, but then in hindsight it clear that actually Southampton and Watford have hit form and are not that surprising in the grand scheme of things. 

Let us also not forget that whilst we are in the relegation zone, we are only 1 point away from coming out of it again. Come the Spurs game on 16 February we actually could be safely mid table again. In theory we could even be on level points with Spurs. Baring the top of the table, its actually pretty tight. 

We have brought in 2 premier league experienced players to cover massive injuries which were completely unexpected. There are also clear signs that we are looking at strengthening still this window, of which we are not even half way through. Sure Drinkwater didn't impress against Man City, but were we really banking on 1 or 3 points in that game? No, anything got from the game would have been bonus. 

Brighton/Watford/Bournemouth are far bigger and more important games, of which all are winnable games. We showed at Burnley and Leicester that this system can work, particularly away from home.

This season is far from over, this window is far from over and certainly you cannot judge the summer window based on the last month of football. This is not like 2015/6 and I know you are of the same view. That team was dead and buried and utterly off the pace by this time already. I will say it again, 1 point from safety. That is all. We have 16 games to get 17-19 points. 

Please can we all just have a little perspective please?

Perspective sure.

But given our points haul against the big guns - we have to get something out of the lesser lights - in particular the next 2 games.

The trend seems to be downward - sure we have been unlucky with injuries - but that happens to most clubs at some stage in the season.

Any player can have the odd good game - at this level it's the consistency that counts - I haven't been particularly impressed with any of the new players (excluding the loans that were made permanent)

TBF - Luiz looks to have potential in flashes - but the others seem to have to many basic flaws in there game to suggest they can cut it at this level ....and one or two look like they would flounder in the league's below.

Personally I think DS can coach - I don't think he has the tools at his disposal to produce a solid PL team. ...sure Reinna and Drinkwater bring experience at minimal cost - but due to the errors made in the summer, the only way to patch the holes is a Darren Bent style signing - which doesn't look likely.

2 hours ago, rubberman said:

It's interesting to look at the performance of other summer signings that make ours look not that bad. Moise Kean, Pepe, Joelinton, Haller, etc- it's not easy to find a bargain - plenty of wasted cash about. 

....and they have paid much more too.

16 minutes ago, eholm said:

I agree with you here....however, the real issue is WHEN we get them in. The survival ship may we’ll have sailed if we have to wait until end of the month to get them signed. Concerning times. 

We have two league games left to play in January, very important games against teams in and around us, but just two games. We might lose both, we might win both. But either way we’ll neither be safe nor cut adrift. Of course reinforcements would be much welcome before those games, but it won’t be the final nail in a coffin if they don’t arrive until the end of the window..............which is generally what happens in January, especially if you’re a struggling club. The proven quality that many here yearn for tend to be at clubs doing alright, so it’s a hard sell to get that type of player in. Without having absolute facts to hand, I don’t think anyone of any note has been signed by any bottom half Premier League club? We’re not the only ones. 

Can actually see us signing Glenn Murray after the game on Saturday. Yes we could get him in this week but he couldn't play v Brighton so defeats the object. Similar to everyone keeping quiet about Drinkwater in build up to Burnley game and then he signed pretty much straight after.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Can actually see us signing Glenn Murray after the game on Saturday. Yes we could get him in this week but he couldn't play v Brighton so defeats the object. Similar to everyone keeping quiet about Drinkwater in build up to Burnley game and then he signed pretty much straight after.

Difference is we wouldn’t have been loaning Drinkwater from Burnley though, it would be Chelsea. We had to wait for Danny’s contract at Burnley to expire before we could sign him on loan. His contract expired a couple of days after we played Burnley and then we signed him pretty much straight away. 

20 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Going to Forest is the rumour 

26 minutes ago, mattyvilla said:

doesn't feel a million miles away from the end of Randys tenure to me

I must admit that's what's worries me. I don't fear relegation as much as I fear these owners getting bored.

• Like 2