January Transfers 2019/20

sne

1 minute ago, Tomaszk said:

Another one Smith overruled on and got a backup.

Phillips and Maupay we'd be 10th now.

Do you mean Smith got overruled or that Smith overruled the scouting team? Either way is that definitely a fact that DS wanted them? 
I would’ve loved Maupay for the record!

16 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

People claiming Giroud and Murray aren’t what they want. FFS, Kodjia is the alternative...

I’d snap your hand off for either atm. 

Have to say it sums up our striker situation that Kodjia has been ignored practically the whole season and he's very likely now to be leading the line in a cup semi final and at home to Man. City.

We need to go all out for a big name striker signing in next 7-10 days imo.

Problem with signing Murray first is if we get him on loan he won't be able to play v Brighton so we'd be back to square one.

That to me is the deadline day signing you make after a Darren Bent transfer has happened during the middle of the window. Then it's more logical as the experienced back up option.

6 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

We have no idea whether Smith was overruled - think the club understandably felt that £35m was too much (or whatever it was). But my point was that it shows if you focus too much on your first choice and then just have a few wildcards lined up as backup options, you could end up with real problems.

Phillips is a genuine ball winning holding midfielder, whereas we ended up with a deep lying playmaker (Luiz) and a marauding ball winner (Nakamba), neither of whom really fit Smith’s preferred setup.

I hope we don’t make the same mistake this window in our pursuit of a good striker. Have to get this one right.

Edited by KentVillan

14 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Watching the Leeds game, we would have had a very different season if we’d managed to get Kalvin Phillips. Perfect fit for that holding role in the 4-3-3. Shows how important it is to get these transfers right and have good backup options if we don’t make our first choice buy.

Yep didn't think he was this good to be honest. Better player than McGinn.

11 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

I’d very much doubt that due to both players fitting into the way Smith wanted to play.

8 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Yep didn't think he was this good to be honest. Better player than McGinn.

That's debatable. He's definitely a better holding player and if we went into the season with him, McGinn, Grealish CM we'd have been in great shape.

We'd probably be 7th now.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

Do you mean Smith got overruled or that Smith overruled the scouting team? Either way is that definitely a fact that DS wanted them? 
I would’ve loved Maupay for the record!

Smith really wanted Phillips and the move ended up not going through. We got Marvelous and Luiz. 

If we got him we'd be 6th now.

27 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Absolute nonsense. Phillips is their key player and wasn't for sale short of a king's ransom

• Like 1

Leeds were asking for £25m plus for Phillips, that's why we didn't sign him not because Smith was overruled, he'd only ever really had one standout season at Leeds, so can understand why we were reluctant to pay the money. It's debatable whether he's worth that price now, I think people forget that not every player that looks outstanding in the championship is going to be as good in the premier, I remember Cairney from Fulham being linked with £27m move to West Ham whilst he was still in the championship, but when he was promoted he made no impression in the top flight at all.

• Like 1

Maupay has only scored one more goal than Wesley, not sure why some seem to see him as some sort of holy grail player, I'm personally hoping that we sign a better forward than him this window, no reason why we can't.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, useless said:

Maupay has only scored one more goal than Wesley, not sure why some seem to see him as some sort of holy grail player, I'm personally hoping that we sign a better forward than him this window, no reason why we can't.

He would've been better signing than Trez for similar money (minus the Egyptian shirt sales)