January Transfers 2019/20

sne

4 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Maybe I am missing the point because I can't figure out what you're asking. I dipped in halfway on the Maupay/Hourihane thing...oh no, you were discussing with sir_gary....

I rate Maupay. He's dangerous. When I watch him, he looks a pain in the arse to mark. Players will come off knowing they've been in a game even if they've got themselves a clean sheet. If things don't go his way he's a ratty little arsehole who will start trying other means to get the better of players.

Hourihane is slow, weak and a coward who shirks every bit of responsibility he can in open play. He's got a great knack for scoring goals and if we're all over the opposition he's probably our biggest goal threat. I want him on the pitch in that situation, he's a useful player for us.

Maupay is definitely a PL player. Hourihane is touch and go, but can certainly find a place in a PL squad if used correctly. We've not been too far off using him very well, just the odd smelly performance he's started in usually following a goal. He can only play in games where we're going to have 55+% possession. So to reiterate, Maupay definitely a PL player IMO, Hourihane has question marks.

Generally with stats, I would say if I've watched players a lot, I don't care about digging into numbers to see if they pass a threshold or something. I'll have a look if I'm interested in something in particular but my eyes tell me enough to trump figures and hold the opinion I do.

The swing in black and white figures would have to be very big for me to go flip and say well he looked good to me but he's obviously not a good player because of X, Y, Z.

Spot on. 

I don't buy into this Maupay is utterly amazing story that's put forward, but I think Maupay has key attributes we desperately lack, and that's a striker who's very mobile, very explosive and difficult to mark. He's like a ferret and we need that and that's ultimately the complete opposite of what my impression of Wesley is. Wesley's biggest flaw is that he looks so slow and lethargic when he moves around. In a league where pace and fitness is absolute key, Wesley looks like a bodybuilder who completely lacks urgency and the step to get him first into good positions. 

Any way that's my take. Hopefully Wes gets back to his best. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jackbauer24 said:

Hourihane has played 775minutes in his first season in the Premier League and scored 3 goals and has two assists from midfield.

Maupay has played 1541minutes in his first season in the Premier League and scored 7 goals and has one assist as a striker.

You state Hourihane isn't Premier League quality but Maupay is? I don't get that...

Probably because you need to look at a lot more than pure numbers?

Edit: NVM, see this has been more than covered! :)

Edited by Tom13

6 hours ago, thunderball said:

Unless Dean Smith’s Son’s friend takes to twitter again?

I asked him, he didn't respond and hasn't posted anything... 

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I don't buy into this Maupay is utterly amazing story that's put forward, but I think Maupay has key attributes we desperately lack, and that's a striker who's very mobile, very explosive and difficult to mark. He's like a ferret and we need that and that's ultimately the complete opposite of what my impression of Wesley is. Wesley's biggest flaw is that he looks so slow and lethargic when he moves around. In a league where pace and fitness is absolute key, Wesley looks like a bodybuilder who completely lacks urgency and the step to get him first into good positions. 

Any way that's my take. Hopefully Wes gets back to his best. 

I think thats what it is, we missed out on a player who would of been key to our plans, he had what we desired and we really missed the chance to sign what could of possibly been a key player for us.

As you say we desperately lack what Maupay has, and now we're on about bringing in the very striker Maupay has replaced.

We so screwed up in my and many others opinion.

Aston Villa boss Dean Smith has been told he will not be restricted to signing players under the age of 26 in the January transfer window as was the case in the summer.

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/aston-villa-change-transfer-strategy-21228685

Would be nice wouldn't it if true but it's the daily star.

Edited by Dave-R

5 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

How has Neil Maupay suddenly become the worlds greatest striker?

Why are we talking about him during the January transfer window?

I guess to us he would if been compared to where were at now, we are sounding desperate for a premier club. Pretty ridiculous the whole situation is that even in the top flight with rich owners we can not go out and buy a striker who is on fire. If we had of only invested right to begin with.

Wait till we play against Maupay again and he no doubt makes us suffer next time, I can see that one happening and making us truly regret never buying him lol.