January Transfers 2019/20

sne

6 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

current benteke or the one you fondly remember?

current. 

just think that he carries more threat and potential to Wesley. Granted, Benteke's recent scoring record is poor, however, he has proven his goalscoring abilities in the past and maybe he just needs to play somewhere where he is confident. I think, given the same chances I would back Benteke to finish them more than Wesley.

admittedly my preference may be due more to my opinion of Wesley, who I want so badly to be good but deep down I suspect he just isn't a very good striker.

Completely moot argument I know because I cant see the deal happening and its barely even a rumour at this stage

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sne said:

Is he a legitimate option?

Just signed a new contract, on comically high wages. Playing terribly and not scoring any goals.

I think any strikers not playing regular first team football in the PL are our only options right now without spending more than we can afford.

Unfortunately if you aren't playing regular first team football as a striker you are probably not playing well and not scoring goals.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

People are talking about Benteke because he's one of few legitimate options available this window.

We aren't going to sign a top striker, we are being offered the scraps from other teams right now.

Giroud

Batshuayi

Benteke

Murray

Giroud - Survived with extra points yaayaay

Batshuayi - Survived and then some wooohooo

Benteke - Hello Championship, we have Teke back but that's all we care about

Murray - Hello Championship into a next season nothing team

1 minute ago, wilko154 said:

I think any strikers not playing regular first team football in the PL are our only options right now without spending more than we can afford.

Unfortunately if you aren't playing regular first team football as a striker you are probably not playing well and not scoring goals.

Fwiw the Barclays Fantasy site has him injured with a muscle injury and unknown return date.

6 minutes ago, sne said:

Fwiw the Barclays Fantasy site has him injured with a muscle injury and unknown return date.

Yeh I think he's out for a few weeks.

Personally would like Giroud out of the 4. Then hoping we can sign a younger, pacey striker to compliment.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

It's sad that were a prem club and still having these problems, it's ridiculous that we have rich owners who can't invest.

We bring in a striker who is out of there team, we are just inviting more problems into our squad. God help us if we bring an out of favour striker in. I don't envy Smith at all, to me this is a headache I wouldn't want.

Hope we make up for some obvious mistakes we've made in the summer, some signings could of been better it's now obvious that Smith needs better to make the squad tick properly.

Glenn Murray is 36 years old and has scored no goals this season in 13 league appearances. Whilst he has been good in his last two seasons all signs point to an old player, well, getting old, and no longer being able to do it at this level. It'd resemble the Grant Holt signing IMO.

• Like 4

Giroud? He's not had a decent season or been any good for a number of years.

He even set a record of becoming the first ever striker to get a world cup winners medal without registering a single shot on target, wild but true stat. If people think he is the going to save us, think again. 

Decent hold up play, but in our formation I don't think he'll offer anything more than what Wesley gets criticised for and certainly wont score any more than he did. We need someone with pace and clever passing

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Glenn Murray is 36 years old and has scored no goals this season in 13 league appearances. Whilst he has been good in his last two seasons all signs point to an old player, well, getting old, and no longer being able to do it at this level. It'd resemble the Grant Holt signing IMO.

399 minutes - the odd sub appearance here or there. 13 appearances is somewhat misleading IMO. 

8 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

18 goals in 38 international games over the past 3 years, 6 goals in 10 games in 2019. So clearly still scoring goals at a good level. His hold up play is significantly better than Wesley's and is much, much better in the air. He'd be a very good signing.

"International" & "good level" not sure they go hand in hand unless its a major tournament. Games against the likes of Faroe Islands and San Marino during qualifiers means you have to take international scoring records with a pinch of salt, we know he didn't even manage a shot on target during the world cup, granted he had a decent Euro 2016 but that was 4 years ago. He hasn't exactly been banging them in for Chelsea which is why you brought up his international record.

7 minutes ago, Junxs said:

"International" & "good level" not sure they go hand in hand unless its a major tournament. Games against the likes of Faroe Islands and San Marino during qualifiers means you have to take international scoring records with a pinch of salt, we know he didn't even manage a shot on target during the world cup, granted he had a decent Euro 2016 but that was 4 years ago. He hasn't exactly been banging them in for Chelsea which is why you brought up his international record.

Did end up top scorer in the tournament with 11 goals for the Chelsea side that won the Europa League last season.

And 4th in the assist league with 5

Edited by sne

16 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Where have we been linked with him? He was excellent a few years ago, don’t know if he still is 

La Gazzetta Dello Sport apparently.  From what i can see it looked like forest were after him towards the end of December.  

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, sne said:

Did end up top scorer in the tournament with 11 goals for the Chelsea side that won the Europa League last season.

And 4th in the assist league with 5

Fair enough, I never watch that tournament. Still don't think he'd be suited to our style of play though

12 minutes ago, Junxs said:

In that time he scored against sides like Paraguay, Colombia, Turkey, Iceland, Sweden, Wales, Uruguay and Netherlands. All at least decent international sides. He also scored 11 goals in 14 games for Chelsea last season in Europe, where he had far more of a starting role.