January Transfers 2019/20

sne

34 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

Aston Villa boss Dean Smith has been told he will not be restricted to signing players under the age of 26 in the January transfer window as was the case in the summer.

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/aston-villa-change-transfer-strategy-21228685

Would be nice wouldn't it if true but it's the daily star.

As @useless notes, we didn't even stick rigidly to that in the summer. That being said, we did go too far towards youth in our purchases. To some extent, we need to acknowledge that we made a rod for our own backs by asking so many players unfamiliar with top-flight English football - and in some cases, top-flight football altogether - to step up in one summer. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

As @useless notes, we didn't even stick rigidly to that in the summer. That being said, we did go too far towards youth in our purchases. To some extent, we need to acknowledge that we made a rod for our own backs by asking so many players unfamiliar with top-flight English football - and in some cases, top-flight football altogether - to step up in one summer. 

I agree in every way with you, one or two heads that has experience would of been welcomed and it would of no doubt made things click better. I can't help feel that if we had of signed more Knowledgeable players that we wouldn't be sitting so deep to the relegation zone. Having fast pace is one thing, however combined with experience is even better, I think it says alot when we've been undone in many of our games that maybe that experience would of seen us through many of those defeated games.

I feel alot of the time we do not fully know what to do with the speed and youth that runs through the squad, this youth us sposed to be more switched on, yet it's evident that knowledge prevails here.

Edited by Dave-R
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

£110k a week is a risk for me given his little playing time. 

whilst we have injuries we can’t use January window to solve all our problems.

we need a striker and a midfielder, I’d rather get two decent players in those two roles than scatter a few additions which don’t really improve our position that much.

they need to hit the ground running and therefore imo need to be playing regularly now.

probably a bit much asking for signings to be playing against Brighton and Watford but those two are must wins really. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

I agree in every way with you, one or two heads that has experience would of been welcomed and it would of no doubt made things click better. I can't help feel that if we had of signed more Knowledgeable players that we wouldn't be sitting so deep to the relegation zone. Having fast pace is one thing, however combined with experience is even better, I think it says alot when we've been undone in many of our games that maybe that experience would of seen us through many of those defeated games.

I feel alot of the time we do not fully know what to do with the speed and youth that runs through the squad, this youth us sposed to be more switched on, yet it's evident that knowledge prevails here.

We are not deep in the relegation zone though? 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Yep, it's a very Football Manager style objective isn't it? Clearly when you get promoted there's a bigger role for experience. We went up with a side that not only lacked quality but also lacked experience at this level. Some older heads would have been useful, especially in midfield and attack.

• Like 2

Jonathan Kodjia has indicated that he is not up to being the club’s main striker, due to his level of performances, which may push the club to take action during the winter window.

https://www.footballfancast.com/premier-league/aston-villa/tosun-villans-everton-transfers-twitter

Honest yes, has no confidence yes, when our only striker possibly says this then you know we're going to need to spend on two to three strikers now. A striker shouldn't be saying this in my eyes, it tells me he doesnt think he can do the job at all, that we need to sell him at this level and replace.

Edited by Dave-R

2 minutes ago, omariqy said:

We are not deep in the relegation zone though? 

No not yet, but we are not far from trailing behind those being in front of us, a few more losses will only see that gap get bigger.

What really worries me is that for us to stay up we are banking a side with more quality and/or a lot more experience at this level going down, namely the likes of Bournemouth, Watford, West Ham, Burnley and Brighton. Newcastle are also a risk of course.

We really do need some substantial signings this window in multiple positions to stay up IMO, otherwise we're going straight back down. We absolutely cannot just target young 'prospects', we need experience.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

12 minutes ago, Dale said:

No, thanks very much. Sooner pay Giroud's wages... 

Not saying either way whether to get Drinkwater but 110k per week is only for 4.5 months.  So 2m, if he’s the player we want is worth it if it makes the difference.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

Jonathan Kodjia has indicated that he is not up to being the club’s main striker, due to his level of performances, which may push the club to take action during the winter window.

https://www.footballfancast.com/premier-league/aston-villa/tosun-villans-everton-transfers-twitter

Honest yes, has no confidence yes, when our only striker possibly says this then you know we're going to need to spend on two to three strikers now. A striker shouldn't be saying this in my eyes, it tells me he doesnt think he can do the job at all, that we need to sell him at this level and replace.

You realise Kodjia hasn't said he's not up to being the clubs main striker?

Kodjia has indicated it by his performance on Saturday... which was pretty poor.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Not saying either way whether to get Drinkwater but 110k per week is only for 4.5 months.  So 2m, if he’s the player we want is worth it if it makes the difference.

A voice of reason! I'm not inspired by Drinkwater but if the management deem him as good enough to step in to the team, is £2 million in wages worth it for potentially staying in the league? Seems a no brainer.

• Like 1