New forward needed in January?

brummybloke

Smith, Suso and Purslow really need to examine the mess we've left ourselves in.

Purslow most of all, he's the big dog in charge. The priorities in the summer were wrong. Luckily, I'm confident he will be looking at it with ruthless efficiency.

I like Konsa, good buy. I like Engels, good buy. We needed another striker and ended up with two +£8m centre backs, and no plan of ever playing three at the back. If we ran out of money, and it seems like we did because Smith mentioned Maupay being too expensive, there was the problem.

Wes being trash is a different issue to him being left as the only striker we have.

A competent striker is all we need, we can sort out strengthening other areas next window. Our players are error prone but more than capable, our striker is not. 

It baffles me that Smith thinks otherwise based on his recent b'ham mail interview. Cant deny I'm worried about Smith stubbornly refusing to get another striker. Could cost us big time. And Smith.

• Like 3

Many on here were saying it was the perfect transfer window though. I always felt we signed one defender too many and one less attacking player than we should've and it's hurting us now.

We have signed some good players but as we saw in 15/16 it dosen't matter a huge amount if you have little upfront or out wide.

Still there is a window to improve this and it's nowhere near as bleak as January 2016 when we were as good as down.

3 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

A competent striker is all we need, we can sort out strengthening other areas next window. Our players are error prone but more than capable, our striker is not. 

It baffles me that Smith thinks otherwise based on his recent b'ham mail interview. Cant deny I'm worried about Smith stubbornly refusing to get another striker. Could cost us big time. And Smith.

Smith has to talk him up. What's he meant to do when asked about him? 

"Yes, we've seen him up close and he can't play football. I don't know how we've ended up with him."

He should drop him yes, but he can't do anything other than talk him up when asked.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Smith has to talk him up. What's he meant to do when asked about him? 

"Yes, we've seen him up close and he can't play football. I don't know how we've ended up with him."

He should drop him yes, but he can't do anything other than talk him up when asked.

Could have said some white lie like "Wes is working hard without a break and we need to get someone in to bolster our attack, support Wes and take some of the pressure in leading the line off of him".

Not this overly defensive plop he's spouting in interviews. 

Edited by Ingram85

2 minutes ago, dudevillaisnice said:

To be fair clubs will know we were after a striker then and the price will no doubt go up. Let’s wait and see, I find it really hard to believe we won’t sign a striker. 

I reckon they'd figure it out either way once we put a bid in. 

20 minutes ago, dudevillaisnice said:

To be fair clubs will know we were after a striker then and the price will no doubt go up. Let’s wait and see, I find it really hard to believe we won’t sign a striker. 

Plenty will be floating around on loan deals.

Anyone we sign will likely insist on relegation release clause so very likely a 20m signing could be same as six month loan deal bar extra cost.

56 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Smith, Suso and Purslow really need to examine the mess we've left ourselves in.

Purslow most of all, he's the big dog in charge. The priorities in the summer were wrong. Luckily, I'm confident he will be looking at it with ruthless efficiency.

I like Konsa, good buy. I like Engels, good buy. We needed another striker and ended up with two +£8m centre backs, and no plan of ever playing three at the back. If we ran out of money, and it seems like we did because Smith mentioned Maupay being too expensive, there was the problem.

Wes being trash is a different issue to him being left as the only striker we have.

Mess?

we need another striker yes but our aim this season was to avoid relegation.  We are outside the bottom three now, have had a tough run of games against the best in the league and are playing woeful yet we are not in the bottom three.  We are playing the bottom 3 coming up,  2 at home which is where we are gathering points so far this season.

Not having another striker is hurting us but saying this is a mess is an exaggeration.  We need a couple of wins for sure and if we lose the next three games or close to that we are in trouble.

Maupay being too expensive I thought he meant he wasn’t worth that amount of money not that we couldn’t afford it.  I also think they expected more from Davis which I thought was expecting too much and injury finished that off.

12 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Mess?

we need another striker yes but our aim this season was to avoid relegation.  We are outside the bottom three now, have had a tough run of games against the best in the league and are playing woeful yet we are not in the bottom three.  We are playing the bottom 3 coming up,  2 at home which is where we are gathering points so far this season.

Not having another striker is hurting us but saying this is a mess is an exaggeration.  We need a couple of wins for sure and if we lose the next three games or close to that we are in trouble.

Maupay being too expensive I thought he meant he wasn’t worth that amount of money not that we couldn’t afford it.  I also think they expected more from Davis which I thought was expecting too much and injury finished that off.

As I said in Wes thread... I thought we might be good enough to just about stay up despite Wes based on early promise. Incorrect. Other teams are picking up bonus points every week. If we don't replace him we're down.

Not being able to name a striker that can contribute at all is a mess when we've got players that cost £8-12m playing 0 mins every week IMO. It's poor planning.

Hope we pick up some wins regardless in the next three. Four points isn't enough, it's got to be six or more.

Ah, yes I think you're right on Maupay thinking about it. Dean was wrong sadly, he is worth it, he's also about 5x the footballer of our current #9.

We need that striker from Fulham ( the guy that stopped us going up ) Ok, so he is too old for a Dean Smith squad BUT he can score goals,he shouldent cost the moon and we desperately need someone like him for THIS season to keep us up.Another thing that would help no end is if DS tried another formation,say 4 4 2

10 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Plenty will be floating around on loan deals.

Anyone we sign will likely insist on relegation release clause so very likely a 20m signing could be same as six month loan deal bar extra cost.

Agreeing to a six month loan on a striker makes perfect sense.  Who is realistically going to sign for us permanently now with the risk of going down hanging over us?   Finding a loan (probably from abroad) at least means that we won’t get fleeced either. 

Unpopular opinion here, but if we don’t have much money available I would sign Benteke. Bid 5 million and bring him in. He would hold the ball up, bust a gut to score goals and once he’s firing and his confidence is up he’s a handful. Wesley then has someone to learn from.

The rest of our money can be spent on a wide player with some quality, possibly Benrahma.

Sell Kalinic, Kodjia and Lansbury for extra funds.

In the Summer we then need to go big on a young, quick striker.

1 hour ago, PussEKatt said:

We need that striker from Fulham ( the guy that stopped us going up ) Ok, so he is too old for a Dean Smith squad BUT he can score goals,he shouldent cost the moon and we desperately need someone like him for THIS season to keep us up.Another thing that would help no end is if DS tried another formation,say 4 4 2

If you're referring to Mitrovic, he is not too old - looks are deceiving - but he would cost £25m+. 

51 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

Unpopular opinion here, but if we don’t have much money available I would sign Benteke. Bid 5 million and bring him in. He would hold the ball up, bust a gut to score goals and once he’s firing and his confidence is up he’s a handful. Wesley then has someone to learn from.

The rest of our money can be spent on a wide player with some quality, possibly Benrahma.

Sell Kalinic, Kodjia and Lansbury for extra funds.

In the Summer we then need to go big on a young, quick striker.

Dont think it's that unpopular but I think your 5m is way off. I think he may have even signed a new contract recently. Despite not being in the side they would still hold out for 20m IMO, they would know how desperate we are.