New forward needed in January?

brummybloke

Have a feeling we’re going after a big loan signing from abroad, with a view to signing him permanently should we stay up.  No evidence of this, just a gut feeling.  

However, I do like the look of Watkins at Brentford and Smith would know if he’s right for us. 

• Like 3

On 03/12/2019 at 17:55, ferguson1 said:

However, I do like the look of Watkins at Brentford and Smith would know if he’s right for us. 

I was banging on about ollie watkins 4 years ago when he was at exeter saying we should sign him up 👍

He reminds me a bit of Henry in that he has the skill and pace as a wide player but can be moved inside and still gets the goals.

• Like 1

From what the reports have been saying we're not going to be spending big in January and will only bring in a  striker if we can sell Kodjia. Maybe Josh Maja is someone we could go for, when Abraham was being linked with Wolves last January I thought he might be someone we could get as a replacement, and I don't think Bordeaux paid that much for him, so we could offer them a relatively low fee that would see them make a big profit. Would be nice to get someone more proven, but not sure if that's going to be possible.

• Like 1

On 03/12/2019 at 08:56, brummybloke said:

But we must also look at players value in terms of short middle and long term.

20 million (for example) and he scores 10 plus goals keeping us in premier league is then instantly worth it.

Each place higher up the table gets more money, 30 million and we survive and finish 15th rather than 17th gives another 6 to 8 million.

Having a player like mitrovic ,even coming off the bench is better than kodja who will be off anyway.

He is aggressive rather than passive, we have enough passive players.

3 years he will be 28 still in his prime years

Unfortunately fulham are around the top 6 at the moment so unlikely they will sell now.

Now, you are talking ......

2 hours ago, useless said:

From what the reports have been saying we're not going to be spending big in January and will only bring in a  striker if we can sell Kodjia. Maybe Josh Maja is someone we could go for, when Abraham was being linked with Wolves last January I thought he might be someone we could get as a replacement, and I don't think Bordeaux paid that much for him, so we could offer them a relatively low fee that would see them make a big profit. Would be nice to get someone more proven, but not sure if that's going to be possible.

I don't think big money, needs to be spent.

just the right character....The scouts & analysts need to earn their corn.

Haller, Joelinton and Wes.....have indicated its( money) not a given.

Edited by TRO

2 hours ago, useless said:

A forward is a must. We cant carry on relying on Wes.

It is vital we have someone who can hold the ball up even just for 5 months.

The ball needs to stick up there for a while so either teach the Brazilian to control the ball(cant believe I just said that, feel free to disagree though!)  or buy a man who can.

Edited by MarkLillis

5 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I never thought Maupay was the answer, but I must admit, having watched him 4-5 times this season he seems to have all the stuff we need. Pace, agility, movement off ball, explosiveness etc. 

Defintetly. I'd have been happy with a few other players that Brighton signed, Mooy and Trossard in particular.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TRO said:

I don't think big money, needs to be spent.

just the right character....The scouts & analysts need to earn their corn.

Haller, Joelinton and Wes.....have indicated its( money) not a given.

Wes works really hard. He's just really crap.

15 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

Defintetly. I'd have been happy with a few other players that Brighton signed, Mooy and Trossard in particular.

He is a tricky player to defend against. He is very mobile, technical and makes very intelligent runs in the box

He is everything i want Wesley to be

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, useless said:

Maja finally just broke into the first team over the past few weeks, scored a hat trick at the weekend as well. Don't think they will be looking to sell atm.

I actually think we'd stay up if Wes remained our main striker for rest of the season. It would be a lot closer than it should be though.

Ultimately though if we are to continue the evolution of the team we need a new striker in January.  Why wait until the summer when the new guy could come in and learn the league straight away (I'd expect them to come in from abroad) and so could really hit the ground running from August next year.

To me Wes is a bit like Libor Kozak, awkward and can poach a few goals but not a striker who's going to be firing you into europe anytime soon. We need to find another Benteke who could potentially given the club is in a miles better state than when CB was here.

On 06/11/2019 at 21:21, Tomaszk said:

Think I've mentioned him before but Takumi Minamino would be so perfect for us.

18 months on his contract in January. Salzburg likely to be out the Champions League by then. 

I'm sure the owners would be up for the far Eastern coverage that would be generated as well as him being a great player.

Linked with Liverpool for £7.5m

Hi Guys,

Personally I believe we will be staring relegation in the face if we don't replace Wesley in January . Whoever recommended him must have been a second hand car dealer in another life.The club will need to dig deep to replace him with a proven goal scorer or we will enevitably lose our two best t assets ( Grealish and McGinn ). 

Regards,

Graham t.

7 minutes ago, GarethRDR said:

I think that's overkill, most matches don't tend to go that much beyond 90 minutes.

Doubt even Ricardo Quaresma could hold up the ball for that long.

I bet he'd try thou if we signed him.

• Like 1