Doing a Fulham

KentVillan

12 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

You're correct.

This thread got bumped, hence I posted in here. 

To clarify, I think we might go down and i have some worries. Not sure that is bed wetting. 

I also think we might. We finished fifth in the Championship. It's going to be bloody difficult.

• Like 1

We're doing a Villa.

Remains to be seen what that actually is.

For me there are some worrying signs, mainly that I don't see where the goals will be coming from and a lack of pace on and off the ball.

• Like 2

Just now, DCJonah said:

Exactly. 

So why is it bed wetting or needing to calm down if you think it's a possibility now?

Because it's just 1 result, after what, 1/10th of the season? Like if people thought we were relegation certs from the beginning fair enough, but it's just a little alarmist and reactionary to be suddenly talking about it so early, and particularly after a solitary away loss (that shouldn't have even been a loss by the way). 

Just now, useless said:

I couldn't have imagined a worse start in my wildest thoughts

Hahaha.

I think the majority were probably realistic and we’re roughly where we thought we’d be.

Nothings changed from pre-season, I still expect us to survive by 1-5 points.

2 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Because it's just 1 result, after what, 1/10th of the season? Like if people thought we were relegation certs from the beginning fair enough, but it's just a little alarmist and reactionary to be suddenly talking about it so early, and particularly after a solitary away loss (that shouldn't have even been a loss by the way). 

We've had 2 away losses but, to be honest, I'd probably have taken 3 points from Spurs (A), Bournemouth (H), Everton (H) and Palace (A) at the start of the season with a brand new team etc.

I don't know what the expectations are generally, but I think it's likely to be slow until we get settled in.

Edited by bobzy
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Keyblade said:

Fair enough.

For me it isn't one game. I think all 4 have shown positives and things to worry about. Its early but the things I worry about don't look like things that are easily fixed. 

• Like 1

Just now, bobzy said:

We've had 2 away losses but, to be honest, I'd probably have taken 3 points from Spurs (A), Bournemouth (H), Everton (H) and Palace (A) at the start of the season with a brand new team etc.

I don't know what the expectations are generally, but I think it's likely to be slow until we get settled in.

I would have taken 4 from 4, and that's what it should've been to be honest. Could have been more but for some silly mistakes and bad luck. Nothing to suggest we'll be relegated just yet. We definitely have it in us to be better as well as room to strengthen in January which is heartening.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Fair enough.

For me it isn't one game. I think all 4 have shown positives and things to worry about. Its early but the things I worry about don't look like things that are easily fixed. 

That's how I see it too. Plenty of positives but also concerns that can be addressed I feel. Nothing to glaring right now.

I didnt see Fulham last year but I got the impression that they weren't as competitive as we have been so far in all 4 games, against 4 pretty different style teams as well.  We can't shoot ourselves in the foot like we did twice against Bournemouth and Trez today though.  Even so we, and Dean especially, need to hold our nerve, I reckon there will be a game coming up where it all clicks and we batter someone.  We do need a couple of players in January though.

Edited by sharkyvilla

43 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

What does equal 'doing a Fulham' then? 

I’d also like to know.

As all the other fans using it to goad and take the piss were clearly referring to spending £100m+ and getting relegated, i’m not clear on what the additional criteria is.

• Like 1

Still feeling pretty chill about the whole season. Even though we have spent, we can still afford to get relegated and spend a couple of years in the Championship with roughly this same squad if we need to. Its a good team with few if any obviously bad players. I am very confident we would come back up even if the worst happened. Which I dont think it will, we look comfortable as a lower half PL team already and its only 4 games in. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

My only concern is the depth we have on the wings and up front. I'm not sure where the goals are going to come from.

Saying that, the sooner we can get Nakamba consistently in the DM position the better.

Agreed , I really wanted benrahma and Maupay as they would have given us good options up front 

• Like 1

When you can't defend against Jordan Ayew it's time to worry

Taking out the awful ref from today did we really deserve anything, Heaton saved us from losing 4 nil, we offered nothing going forward, the midfield was overrun by Palace

Very worrying game and performance for me

5 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Still feeling pretty chill about the whole season. Even though we have spent, we can still afford to get relegated and spend a couple of years in the Championship with roughly this same squad if we need to. Its a good team with few if any obviously bad players. I am very confident we would come back up even if the worst happened. Which I dont think it will, we look comfortable as a lower half PL team already and its only 4 games in. 

Totally, no need to panic at all. Even though we were poor collectively apart from Heaton today, on the few occasions we did put a few passes together we still looked good. Some bad decisions in the last third and looked too nervy to express ourselves for some reason. Add the shithead ref and it's got to go down as a bad day at the office. There were still positives, Lansbury didn't look out of his depth and scored with a nice finish, Smith tried to go for it with 10 men, we practically got an away point against a good team even though we weren't on our game.... 

• Like 2