Doing a Fulham

KentVillan

20 hours ago, spiezels said:

VT overreacting yet? 

I don't think it is an overreaction to be a bit twitchy. That performance and result against Palace was really poor. We can't play that badly too many times again this season otherwise we almost definitely will be in a relegation fight. 

It is still early days but the signs are not wildly positive, we keep making mistakes and our early run of fixtures are against teams we need to take points off. 

If we're not careful we will give ourselves a mountain to climb.

I am not certain where the goals are going to come from and the 'blend' of the team didn't look at all right against Palace. Against West Ham I would go for solidity, bring the experience of Elmo back in and drop Luiz back to the bench, if Nakamba is fit I would like to see him play because he is a defensive minded player. West Ham are not the best defensively so I'd be happy for us to be very direct like we were against Everton. A win would make everything feel a bit better. At the moment, it's difficult to see it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, PompeyVillan said:

I don't think it is an overreaction to be a bit twitchy. That performance and result against Palace was really poor. We can't play that badly too many times again this season otherwise we almost definitely will be in a relegation fight. 

It is still early days but the signs are not wildly positive, we keep making mistakes and our early run of fixtures are against teams we need to take points off. 

If we're not careful we will give ourselves a mountain to climb.

I am not certain where the goals are going to come from and the 'blend' of the team didn't look at all right against Palace. Against West Ham I would go for solidity, bring the experience of Elmo back in and drop Luiz back to the bench, if Nakamba is fit I would like to see him play because he is a defensive minded player. West Ham are not the best defensively so I'd be happy for us to be very direct like we were against Everton. A win would make everything feel a bit better. At the moment, it's difficult to see it. 

Pretty much sums my thoughts up. I'm concerned at the moment. This isn't an overreaction, it's 2 poor performances against average sides. I just don't see enough chances being created. We just need to not be too far away from safety by Jan and get at least another winger and striker in.

18 hours ago, jackbauer24 said:

Stats aren't everything but it really is pretty obvious we've been scrappy also rans.

Spurs vs Villa; Possession 70/30 Shots 31/7 (We defended brilliantly)

Bournemouth; Possession 63/37 Shots 21/12 (We did play well bar start, but first game at home and forced to chase after first minute)

Everton; Possession 35/65 Shots 7/12 (Very happy we won this against run of play)

Palace; Possession 53/47 Shots 22/10 (Admittedly with ten men for too long)

I have watched every game from start to finish and, perhaps Bournemouth aside, we've been pretty much outplayed for vast periods. Don't get me wrong, I don't expect us to be world beaters but we've generally offered very little other than effort. But this isn't an argument/view I want to carry on as I really, really hope I'm wrong and being overly negative in my appraisal!!

The shots against stat is a concern. We've been way too open this season and conceding that many shots in the first 4 games is not good at all. 

9 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Can we change the name of the thread to relegation or something, annoying me.

Isn't this the same as the PL 2019/20 thread?

It was meant to be for examples of people taunting us for "doing a Fulham", but it has taken a more serious turn since we started actually doing a Fulham.

People are massively overreacting to be honest. It's four games in, and we've created more than enough goalscoring chances to take points from games. Just haven't had the rub of the green so far.

Anyway, getting this back on topic:

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

It was meant to be for examples of people taunting us for "doing a Fulham", but it has taken a more serious turn since we started actually doing a Fulham.

People are massively overreacting to be honest. It's four games in, and we've created more than enough goalscoring chances to take points from games. Just haven't had the rub of the green so far.

If we come 20th we still haven't done a Fulham.

4 hours ago, KentVillan said:

We'll be fine.

At this stage last season Fulham had 4 points, they then accrued 1 point in their next 8 games.

If we only manage 1 point in our next 8 games then fair enough we can start to worry.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

VT is entitled to worry and we have reasons to be worried.

Against Palace I thought we'd create more and have more possession, if not for Heaton we might have lost that match by two or three!

You do know we were down to 10 men? You are always going to be under pressure with 10 men for most of the second half. 

17 minutes ago, sidcow said:

You do know we were down to 10 men? You are always going to be under pressure with 10 men for most of the second half. 

and we were turgid for the 55 minutes before that...they were better than us in most areas of the pitch

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

and we were turgid for the 55 minutes before that...they were better than us in most areas of the pitch

Disagree. I thought 1st half they only just edged but not much in it and we started brightly in the second till the sending off. 

On 01/09/2019 at 00:16, jackbauer24 said:

Stats aren't everything but it really is pretty obvious we've been scrappy also rans.

Spurs vs Villa; Possession 70/30 Shots 31/7 (We defended brilliantly)

Bournemouth; Possession 63/37 Shots 21/12 (We did play well bar start, but first game at home and forced to chase after first minute)

Everton; Possession 35/65 Shots 7/12 (Very happy we won this against run of play)

Palace; Possession 53/47 Shots 22/10 (Admittedly with ten men for too long)

I have watched every game from start to finish and, perhaps Bournemouth aside, we've been pretty much outplayed for vast periods. Don't get me wrong, I don't expect us to be world beaters but we've generally offered very little other than effort. But this isn't an argument/view I want to carry on as I really, really hope I'm wrong and being overly negative in my appraisal!!

Great post, exactly how I feel. We haven't really done anything amazing in the first 4 games. Each game we've looked scared and haven't really been able to express ourselves the way I expect from a Dean Smith side. Little worrying!!

41 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Losing is a habit we could do without...it's all well and good looking at statistics and luck but we need a win.

How many games have we lost in a row??? Complete hyperbole at its best.....