Marvelous Nakamba

NurembergVillan

20 minutes ago, Beastmix said:

Where did you dig up that nonsensical list from?

It's all subjective, of course, but Makelele is widely regarded as the best to play the position. He's certainly the best I've seen.

It’s a list of defensive midfielders featuring about 5 box to box number 8’s 😂

Edited by a m ole
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, AVFCforever1991 said:

It's true though

You're not getting the point though.

Makelele was lauded as world class for doing a similar job to Nakamba. He was more consistent and probably slightly better at passing than Nakamba, but his point was that more 'limited' players can still play a key role.

1 hour ago, barry'sboots said:

Would you not swap him for Bissouma?

That is what we are talking about - trying to replace Marv with a player that can take us to the next level. Not saying that he wouldn't be a decent squad player although I think Iroegbunam might be ready for that spot next season?

Yes I would swap Nakamba for Bissouma but Brighton wouldn't so pretty irrelevant question.

38 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

You're not getting the point though.

Makelele was lauded as world class for doing a similar job to Nakamba. He was more consistent and probably slightly better at passing than Nakamba, but his point was that more 'limited' players can still play a key role.

Sorry but Makalele was way better than Nakamba. His awareness and reading if the game was so good. He saw everything in front of him. Then once he got the ball back his specialty was the quick direct ball to spring the counter attack. His passing was a real strength. Played with his head up, never overplayed it. He also had two 5'11 plus midfielders in front of him at Chelsea. So that midfield unit didn't ever really get bullied. 

Nakamba is a player I like, a 100 percent every game guy. But he has a habit of overplaying sometimes, of errant passes, and of getting muscled off too easily. So if a better number 6 was brought in I would move him on. And a better number 6 should definitely be high on the list of priorities.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Rossco76 said:

Pretty harsh assessment imo with 27 of 28 attempted passes completed and a passing accuracy of 96.4% vs Brighton.

Ashley Westwood was slaughtered for only passing sideways and backwards.

1 minute ago, AV82 said:

Ashley Westwood was slaughtered for only passing sideways and backwards.

I hate this view some fans have though. If you pass sideways or backwards, as long as it's a completed pass you're keeping possession. Man City players spend half the game passing it backwards/sideways waiting for lapses in concentration from the opponent. I don't have a problem with Marv doing this, but he does pass to marked/pressed players a bit too often, which puts them under unnessessary pressure.

• Like 2

Just now, Beastmix said:

I hate this view some fans have though. If you pass sideways or backwards, as long as it's a completed pass you're keeping possession. Man City players spend half the game passing it backwards/sideways waiting for lapses in concentration from the opponent. I don't have a problem with Marv doing this, but he does pass to marked/pressed players a bit too often, which puts them under unnessessary pressure.

Thank you. His pass completion might be high but that doesn't paint the whole picture. It happened on Sat, he overshot a 5 yard pass, our player stretched for the touch and was crunched by a Brighton player. On another day they knick the ball or injure our player.

24 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

Sorry but Makalele was way better than Nakamba. His awareness and reading if the game was so good. He saw everything in front of him. Then once he got the ball back his specialty was the quick direct ball to spring the counter attack. His passing was a real strength. Played with his head up, never overplayed it. He also had two 5'11 plus midfielders in front of him at Chelsea. So that midfield unit didn't ever really get bullied. 

Nakamba is a player I like, a 100 percent every game guy. But he has a habit of overplaying sometimes, of errant passes, and of getting muscled off too easily. So if a better number 6 was brought in I would move him on. And a better number 6 should definitely be high on the list of priorities.

I wasn't saying Nakamba is near Makelele's level, dontdoitdoug missed my point but he'll be chuffed getting those likes.

But I thought he played well on Sat and you can't argue with his ability to win the ball back.  I'm not even his biggest fan either, just saying he could do a job.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

I wasn't saying Nakamba is near Makelele's level, dontdoitdoug missed my point but he'll be chuffed getting those likes.

But I thought he played well on Sat and you can't argue with his ability to win the ball back.  I'm not even his biggest fan either, just saying he could do a job.

You really could in the first half - when he made a few tackles that weren't strong enough and Brighton ended up with the ball. 

2 hours ago, Beastmix said:

Where did you dig up that nonsensical list from?

It's all subjective, of course, but Makelele is widely regarded as the best to play the position. He's certainly the best I've seen.

tinternet....just shows there are other opinions out there.

I agree, Makelele is up there with the best, but its not nonsensical, its just an alternative opinion.

I am not saying I agree or disagree, just showing a few others to be considered.

14 minutes ago, AVFCforever1991 said:

I take it people have never watched Makelele? He's generally one of the best DM in history, comparing Nakamba to him is ridiculous

I don't think he was compared in ability, that would be a none starter.

43 minutes ago, lexicon said:

You really could in the first half - when he made a few tackles that weren't strong enough and Brighton ended up with the ball. 

Good point actually. He doesn't win the ball as much as you think, he steals it. First half Saturday he went in for tackles several times without winning the ball. IIRC the one challenge he went in and the player won the challenge and went through Nakamba like he wasn't there. 

1 minute ago, avfc1982am said:

Good point actually. He doesn't win the ball as much as you think, he steals it. First half Saturday he went in for tackles several times without winning the ball. IIRC the one challenge he went in and the player won the challenge and went through Nakamba like he wasn't there. 

Marv reads the game well but the issue is that he's neither strong nor particularly aggressive to make up for it, which is an issue when he's up against players who're stronger than him. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tom13 said:

It’s the only reason I get out of bed in the morning. 

I agree with the rest of your post, but levels. If you had compared him to Nigel Reo-Coker I’d jump on board.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tom13 said:

Oh for sure he can do a job. I think this is something we can all agree on. He was certainly competent on Sat as he is generally.

For me when you take into account the aims and ambition the club has, an improvement is necessary. I also think we do need a physical presence in midfield. 

That doesn't necessitate a big unit. It could be an aggressive speedy 5'10 technician. 

Â