Marvelous Nakamba

NurembergVillan

He is a tank in the middle, does exactly what he is asked to do.

We'd struggle to find a better player in our position to do what he does.

But, the problem is what he does once he gets the ball, or what he does in attacking positions. He isn't as good in that role.

I really like him, but in order to push forward I think that we'd need to upgrade him for a player that does more in the final 3rd. 

This won't be this season, and I doubt next summer. 

I'm also very much liking the JR/McGinn partnership, and I'm glad they are able to push the play forward. 

But this is picking on scratches - go on Marvellous!

1 hour ago, sheepyvillian said:

I couldn't be more happier for a player than I am for Marv. Imagine the smiles he's putting on the faces of all them young Zimbabweans. 

he's such a likeable guy. works so hard for the team. he's made that position his

adding to this, just realised what a key role he played in ollie's goal v brighton, winning the ball in the box and playing it out to young

Edited by tomav84

The DM position is a difficult one: is there a case to be made that DMs, more than many other positions, need time to settle in to really be the enforcer in a team? 

Genuine q: Did Kante and Makelele have an immediate impact after they'd signed or was there a gap between them signing and them becoming truly effective? 

I wonder if Marv is now growing into the role? Technically limited in some ways, but now with confidence to know his team mates and play the game he needs to play (i.e. break things up)? I've started thinking about this a lot since watching some clips of Marv playing at Vitesse: he seemed to be playing further upfield.

Anyone kind of catch that in his interview, when asked if it was his best game, he kind of hinted like " Duh, when the whole team are shite, there is a high likelihood I'll be shite as well.... " 😂.

The part when he said " When the team is doing well, it's easier for me to do well " or something like that.

On 30/11/2021 at 10:28, Mic09 said:

He is a tank in the middle, does exactly what he is asked to do.

We'd struggle to find a better player in our position to do what he does.

But, the problem is what he does once he gets the ball, or what he does in attacking positions. He isn't as good in that role.

I really like him, but in order to push forward I think that we'd need to upgrade him for a player that does more in the final 3rd. 

This won't be this season, and I doubt next summer. 

I'm also very much liking the JR/McGinn partnership, and I'm glad they are able to push the play forward. 

But this is picking on scratches - go on Marvellous!

His role should be to break up play and get the ball to McGinn/Luiz/Ramsey for them to push forward.  He doesn't need to be doing anything in the final third IMO - just be that holding player to break up play.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Anyone kind of catch that in his interview, when asked if it was his best game, he kind of hinted like " Duh, when the whole team are shite, there is a high likelihood I'll be shite as well.... " 😂.

The part when he said " When the team is doing well, it's easier for me to do well " or something like that.

It's so true though.

The team shape was always the issue this season and shoehorning players into unfavorable positions.

• Like 1

looks like a different player.

Never thought i would ever say this, but seeing how he is performing under Gerrard, he's the nailed on number 6 for me right now.

I cant believe im saying that lol, but he does look like a proper player in this system.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Phil Silvers said:

Good shift against that lot, give him the right job to do and he can do it, ask to be Platini and you will have a problem. Good lad 

Agree

Play at home vs the likes of Newcastle and get 60% possession you don't need him, games like tonight you do

We've not rotated him in enough 

He should go on a run now but looking at the fixtures Burnley at home coming up, for that game you rotate him out 

Use him and the squad properly 

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Agree

Play at home vs the likes of Newcastle and get 60% possession you don't need him, games like tonight you do

We've not rotated him in enough 

He should go on a run now but looking at the fixtures Burnley at home coming up, for that game you rotate him out 

Use him and the squad properly 

As we all know now, Gerrard and his coaches like to play with one holding midfielder, it’s very much 4-1-2-2-1 with two 10’s playing narrow behind the striker, two box-to-box players and one holding midfielder. Think for the system to work we’re going to need Marv a lot, not sure Dougie would do the same role as well. Sanson could be a good shout to rotate Marv with perhaps.

Â