Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

7 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

He just wants to set up his midfield that way. There is a difference between tactics and quality of player. 

I think Gerrard is happy with JJ, Nakamba and McGinn so I see those 3 not going anywhere in summer. Sanson has not had a chance to show what he can do and he's only 1 year into a 4 & 1/2 year contract so it would be highly unlikely he would be moved on because it would be at a loss. 

We will sign that "Destroyer" and then that levels the Luiz question. Sell him and get in a replacement or get him to sign a new contract

Time will tell, might very well turn out like that. Just opposing to the idea that there are any clear facts that that's how he want's to play and that he doesn't rate Luiz.

He's been forced to most line-ups during his short spell here due to injuries and Covid. And at his only previous job he used a tiny little guy who is now 37 y.o in the DLP role.

He’ll be off in the summer and it will be a bit s*** tbh. Feel as though we’ve developed him into the player he is today and he’s about to come into his prime.

One thing I will say is, is he really that good? I’ve been very complimentary of him in the past and I think he’s a good player but maybe I’m a bit blinkered by the fact he’s Brazilian and has a fancy haircut (as daft as that sounds). How much better is he than Ashley Westwood? As someone has mentioned, he does lack pace and that kind of holds him back.

I think we’ve kind of forgotten what a good defensive midfielder looks like at Villa. It might be something we only realised we’ve missed when a good player comes in and does a great job of it. Look at the likes of Bissouma, Rice, Ndidi and Phillips. These are all players that are better than Luiz and not exactly playing for the cream of the crop. 

I don’t want to lose Luiz, I think he’ll get better and he is certainly worth his place in the side/squad at the moment but if an offer of £25m comes in, I imagine we’ll sell.

I'm sure that a lot of the people who rate Luiz so highly do so because of his 'filthy' bits of skill, but impressive as those moments are, they rarely/ever result in anything significant. He obviously has talent in some respects, but I don't think that his skill set translates particularly well to being a major influence on matches.

I think most people accept that he has limitations as a defensive player, but presumably many feel that his supposed 'playmaker' abilities compensate for this. But that really is the part that I have an issue with. I think the idea that he is a great passer is largely a myth. He is a sideways passer. He can hit long floaty diagonals when given time, but so can most players. He isn't an incisive passer, there is no penetration to his play. He doesn't have the vision of someone like McGinn. It is in games where we are in control, like the Brentford game, where this becomes more apparent.

Would it be different if he was played further forward? I'm not so sure.

• Like 1

Luiz falls firmly in to that category of players who is good enough, normally, for where we are, shows glimpses of promise for greater things occasionally but often has games where he's painfully poor. He is massively inconsistent.

So if he is sold then I won't care and I'll wish him well but I suspect his career will be fairly mundane. If he stays I won't be disappointed and will hope he gets a lot more consistently good. But I doubt he'll ever be a Champions League starter.

10 minutes ago, poitier said:

I'm sure that a lot of the people who rate Luiz so highly do so because of his 'filthy' bits of skill, but impressive as those moments are, they rarely/ever result in anything significant. He obviously has talent in some respects, but I don't think that his skill set translates particularly well to being a major influence on matches.

I think most people accept that he has limitations as a defensive player, but presumably many feel that his supposed 'playmaker' abilities compensate for this. But that really is the part that I have an issue with. I think the idea that he is a great passer is largely a myth. He is a sideways passer. He can hit long floaty diagonals when given time, but so can most players. He isn't an incisive passer, there is no penetration to his play. He doesn't have the vision of someone like McGinn. It is in games where we are in control, like the Brentford game, where this becomes more apparent.

Would it be different if he was played further forward? I'm not so sure.

Fair comments. Trouble is his output just isn't enough at the moment despite being one our most technically competent players. I love his composure on the ball but needs to do better things with it. I think he will improve under SG if we can keep hold of him. 

It'll be interesting if we get a quality no6 in this window and Luiz fights for one of the other to midfield spots. We'll learn a lot I suppose now that Sanson is fit too and JJ and McGinn have done well under Gerrard

43 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

If we move Luiz on, I think we will live to regret it.

I don't think we'd do it out of choice but he is running his contract down and I think we will take some money for him rather than see him go on a free. 

19 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

It's weird that people seem to want to keep Nakamba and let Luiz go - he's twice the player Nakamba is.

I'd love to see us extend his contract, but I'm not getting the feeling we're getting anywhere with it.

I think he fits in really well in Gerrard's system where we don't play with an out and out holding player, instead having a deep line of three, all of whom have licence to bring the ball out. 

From a financial perspective to lose him because his contract is running down would be a complete waste of an awful lot of money too - he's a £50m player with four years on him, and if we're not careful, in the summer we'll be losing £30m of that.

We've got five at the moment who can play in that three man midfield, McGinn, Luiz, Ramsey, Sanson and Nakamba - personally, I'd like us to add one more rather than lose any of them and if we were to lose one, I'd be most disappointed if it were Luiz or McGinn.

They fulfil different roles so they're not direct comparisons. Luiz is not an aggressive ball winning no6 where Nakamba is. 

I think we have set roles in that midfield three. There is that no6 and then two 8s who cover the full back positions and where one is expected to arrive late in the box (usually McGinn). 

I'd like us to cash in on Luiz and sing a replacement who has a higher work rate and also add a top class No6 to take Nakamba's role.

this would leave us with JJ / new no8, Nakamba / new No6, McGinn / Sanson. 

I feel the midfield needs new blood, new energy and aggression. 

1 hour ago, AntrimBlack said:

If we move Luiz on, I think we will live to regret it.

he might go on and have a great career elsewhere but we wont have any regrets if we can get a more dynmaic player like Kante or bissouma in that can take this club forward. 

Edited by PaulC

21 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

It's weird that people seem to want to keep Nakamba and let Luiz go - he's twice the player Nakamba is.

I'd love to see us extend his contract, but I'm not getting the feeling we're getting anywhere with it.

I think he fits in really well in Gerrard's system where we don't play with an out and out holding player, instead having a deep line of three, all of whom have licence to bring the ball out. 

From a financial perspective to lose him because his contract is running down would be a complete waste of an awful lot of money too - he's a £50m player with four years on him, and if we're not careful, in the summer we'll be losing £30m of that.

We've got five at the moment who can play in that three man midfield, McGinn, Luiz, Ramsey, Sanson and Nakamba - personally, I'd like us to add one more rather than lose any of them and if we were to lose one, I'd be most disappointed if it were Luiz or McGinn.

Agree. The thing is he hasn't looked great recently, because he is being played out of position. It's like saying we should sell Ollie because he's gash on the left wing or as a 10

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PaulC said:

he might go on and have a great career elsewhere but we wont have any regrets if we can get a more dynmaic player like Kante or bissouma in that can take this club forward. 

I agree that we need to bring in a more dynamic player in that position, but we still need to keep Luiz and play him further forward. 

5 hours ago, CVByrne said:

I think we have set roles in that midfield three. There is that no6 and then two 8s who cover the full back positions and where one is expected to arrive late in the box (usually McGinn). 

I don't think we do, I think different players have different strengths but I think they're all playing the same position, they all need to work and they're all able to express themselves.

For what it's worth, I don't think Liverpool play with three different roles either. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, a-k said:

Agree. The thing is he hasn't looked great recently, because he is being played out of position. It's like saying we should sell Ollie because he's gash on the left wing or as a 10

I actually think he's played well lately because he's being played in a position that suits him, he looks to me very much at home in our midfield three.

Â