Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

The contract situation is a strange one. You would think the day after the city clause expired we would have given him a fresh contract but not a peep about it.

I have no doubt we want to keep him, but i think its more him. He wants to see our progress before commiting. Also dont help that his close friend wes has left.

Hopefully  he believes in the vision and signs as i think he has so much potential to be a top player. For me he is better player than fred of United 

• Like 1

On 03/01/2022 at 17:39, OutByEaster? said:

It's weird that people seem to want to keep Nakamba and let Luiz go - he's twice the player Nakamba is.

I'd love to see us extend his contract, but I'm not getting the feeling we're getting anywhere with it.

I think he fits in really well in Gerrard's system where we don't play with an out and out holding player, instead having a deep line of three, all of whom have licence to bring the ball out. 

From a financial perspective to lose him because his contract is running down would be a complete waste of an awful lot of money too - he's a £50m player with four years on him, and if we're not careful, in the summer we'll be losing £30m of that.

We've got five at the moment who can play in that three man midfield, McGinn, Luiz, Ramsey, Sanson and Nakamba - personally, I'd like us to add one more rather than lose any of them and if we were to lose one, I'd be most disappointed if it were Luiz or McGinn.

He isn’t a £50m player, said it the other day but some of our fans rate our players ridiculously high. If the like of Luiz and Buendia were half as good as a lot make out we wouldn’t have lost more games than Newcastle this season. Nakamba isn’t a good a footballer as Luiz I will give you that but we have a better balance about us with him in the team.

Edited by WHY
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

The contract situation is a strange one. You would think the day after the city clause expired we would have given him a fresh contract but not a peep about it.

I have no doubt we want to keep him, but i think its more him. He wants to see our progress before commiting. Also dont help that his close friend wes has left.

Hopefully  he believes in the vision and signs as i think he has so much potential to be a top player. For me he is better player than fred of United 

The Athletic reported over the summer that we likely would have looked to sell Luiz if the JWP deal was on so that partly explains it 

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I actually think he's played well lately because he's being played in a position that suits him, he looks to me very much at home in our midfield three.

I meant that his role is slightly different with Nakamba out. He looked much better playing more forward with Nakamba deeper.

• Like 2

On 03/01/2022 at 11:45, AndyM3000 said:

If he leaves he will go onto better things. Quote me on it.

He may well do, particularly if he is played in a slot that suits his natural game.

A player, can be a real talent, but if he is played in role that don't suit him and subsequently the team loses the affect.....its no good.

just recycling the ball is very noble, and he is decent at it......but its not enough.

Players have to be effective in their roles, for the team to work.....There can be no passengers where we want to venture...and we still have some.

Most of Dougies passes are in an area where, the game is not being affected, hence the high stats.....not always, but sometimes he makes the odd, great pass, but on the whole, his passing is safe and to safe destinations.....few risk balls, that can open teams up, he don't take gambles.....for me, and that role, he lacks aggression, he relies of the defenders to feed him with THEIR turnovers as opposed to his.....I don't see a combative nature in his play on a consistent basis, I see more of a passive approach.

If I compare him with say Mateo Kovacic....I see a huge difference in desire and the ability to compete.

I have always said, he is a very neat and tidy player and I can see why, Arsenal would be interested....If I was him, I would move.

Edited by TRO

17 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Luiz is a decent player but people are going way ott.

He isn't going to become a world class midfielder after leaving us.

Not sure what extraordinary people are seeing in him and why. I guess because he is Brazilian?

It depends what you look for and look at....He is easy on the eye.....but for me not effective enough.

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

It depends what you look for and look at....He is easy on the eye.....but for me not effective enough.

Hes a good player in possession and would probably thrive in European leagues, he’s incredibly weak (physically) though and will bottle out of challenges 

Edited by gwi1890

10 minutes ago, TRO said:

If I compare him with say Mateo Kovacic....I see a huge difference in desire and the ability to compete.

Yeah, he probably isn't as good as Kovacic who Chelsea signed for £40m. And who Real Madrid signed for £35m.

Wonder where Doug will be in four years when he's Kovacic's age? Bet he'll be a better player than the one we see today.

Be a huge mistake to not tie him down.

Edited by Tomaszk
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Tomaszk said:

Yeah, he probably isn't as good as Kovacic who Chelsea signed for £40m. And who Real Madrid signed for £35m.

Wonder where Doug will be in four years when he's Kovacic's age? Bet he'll be a better player than the one we see today.

Be a huge mistake to not tie him down.

That is roughly what we paid for Buendia.

I think 15m for Dougie was fine....but if you are saying, we have to accept limitations in a players armoury, because we are not paying enough, then we will have a long wait for European football.

Kovacic has a competitive nature, because thats who he is, just like our manager, its either in you, or its not.....We just need to find a few more, where its in them intrinsically.

I won't be fussed either way, whether he signs or not.....but if he does, I hope he is deployed away from the No 6 shirt and more No 8

13 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

Hes a good player in possession and would probably thrive in European leagues, he’s incredibly weak (physically) though and will bottle out of challenges 

Hence my beef.

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

That is roughly what we paid for Buendia.

Prices have gone mad. Kovacic wouldn't cost £40m today let me tell you.

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think 15m for Dougie was fine....but if you are saying, we have to accept limitations in a players armoury, because we are not paying enough, then we will have a long wait for European football.

Yes, finally you understand.

We will have a long wait for European football.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, WHY said:

He isn’t a £50m player, said it the other day but some of our fans rate our players ridiculously high. If the like of Luiz and Buendia were half as good as a lot make out we wouldn’t have lost more games than Newcastle this season. Nakamba isn’t a good a footballer as Luiz I will give you that but he’s we have a better balance about us with him in the team.

Nakamba and Luiz are like chalk and Cheese in terms of attributes.....make a hybrid and its probably something we are looking for.

The fact they have been playing in that similar role....is just very misleading to us.

In my opinion, both are squad players......we just need better quality.

As you quite rightly touch on....We are mid table, thereabouts, for a reason......we need to be more aware of why that is.

5 goals conceded in the last 2 games is a clue.....and the manner of them is another clue.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Happy New Year.

• Haha 1

Pretty much all our best performances and results this season under both managers have come with him on the pitch.

Even some of the better losses like v Man. City he was excellent in second part of that.

He's a must keep for me as he can grow further under Gerrard's guidance in the long term. Who knows why it's taking so long for a new deal as we obviously must have offered him one by now.

As OBE said on last page he's a 30m + asset very comfortably but that will continue to decrease as the months go on. 

7 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Quite frankly, I don't think that will be tolerated, by our owners or our manager.

8 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Pretty much all our best performances and results this season under both managers have come with him on the pitch.

Even some of the better losses like v Man. City he was excellent in second part of that.

He's a must keep for me as he can grow further under Gerrard's guidance in the long term. Who knows why it's taking so long for a new deal as we obviously must have offered him one by now.

As OBE said on last page he's a 30m + asset very comfortably but that will continue to decrease as the months go on. 

because we have no better to come in, thats a bit of a cop out, if I may be so bold to say, Chris......As a complete player in the No6 role, I have never been a fan, as you know.

No one is suggesting, he is a bad player, that's being pedalled because, observations of his weaker attributes are being discussed and the comments are being distorted and taken out of context.

The club, must have a reason for a new deal to him, not to be undertaken, I'm sure all will be revealed.

Edited by TRO

Just now, TRO said:

Quite frankly, I don't think that will be tolerated, by our owners or our manager.

It's not like the other clubs ahead of us are just going to fold over and give up.

City, Plop, Chelsea, Man U, Arsenal, Spurs and even Leicester and West Ham have years of progress on us and the difference in revenue is monumental. Some of those clubs we will never catch how much our owners might want to. Even if they wanted to put billions into the club they would not be allowed to.

So how are we going to get into Europe, let alone the CL where you actually start making money and can attract the Kovacic's and Ndidi's of the world. Guess our chances might improve in a few years when they start handing out free places to the big brand clubs, but it might actually make it even harder.

• Confused 1

11 minutes ago, sne said:

It's not like the other clubs ahead of us are just going to fold over and give up.

City, Plop, Chelsea, Man U, Arsenal, Spurs and even Leicester and West Ham have years of progress on us and the difference in revenue is monumental. Some of those clubs we will never catch how much our owners might want to. Even if they wanted to put billions into the club they would not be allowed to.

So how are we going to get into Europe, let alone the CL where you actually start making money and can attract the Kovacic's and Ndidi's of the world. Guess our chances might improve in a few years when they start handing out free places to the big brand clubs, but it might actually make it even harder.

er... Brentford have come from Behind us, but it hasn't dimmed their ambition.........has it?

Recruitment and blending will take us there.....and the drive of the hierarchy, in not accepting second best or excuses...will too.

We have to be cuter with signings and have a nose for balance in the side...

The other teams, won't fold over and give up.....we have to challenge that much better.....are you telling me West Ham and Leicester, have players  we can't attract?

We have given a good account of ourselves, in the 3 top games lately, maybe Chelsea is debatable.....but with a bit of tweaking in the right places and a desire to match them......we can feel confident of improving.

but if we sign players no better that what we have.....we will stay where we are.....its not as complicated as soome will have you believe.

Is it doable?.....with the right decision making of course it is.

Edited by TRO

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

er... Brentford have come from Behind us, but it hasn't dimmed their ambition.

Recruitment and blending will take us there.....and the drive of the hierarchy, in not accepting second best or excuses...will too.

We have to be cuter with signings and have a nose for balance in the side...

The other teams, won't fold over and give up.....we have to challenge that much better.....are you telling me West Ham and Leicester, have players  we can't attract?

We have given a good account of ourselves, in the 3 top games lately, maybe Chelsea is debatable.....but with a bit of tweaking in the right places and a desire to match them......we can feel confident of improving.

but if we sign players no better that what we have.....we will stay where we are.....its not as complicated as soome will have you believe.

Is it doable?.....with the right decision making of course it is.

Not sure I get your Brentford point in regards to Europe but no matter.

To begin with we need to triple our revenue to get anywhere near Spurs and Arsenal, and Spurs are just gonna get richer due to their new stadium. Sure we can catch West Ham and Leicester from season to season. That'll give us 7th-8th and maybe a spot in the Conference League. We might also win a cup some day and get in that way. Doing it on a regular basis due to league places thou...

• Like 1

Â