Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

32 minutes ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

I must give you @TRO, he is staring to convince me that you are right about him!

he did not boss and control the midfield the way he should today. Played a good part in our gaol with the one two with Emi, but wasn't strong enough in defence.

He lacks grit...probably our best passer of the ball, but doesn't control things, passive IMO.

However, he certainly wasn't our worst player today....I thought Hause, Targett and Traore, left a lot to be desired.

8 hours ago, villanmac said:

As I've said for yonks, if he was Dougie Lewis from Wales and didn't have a haircut it would have been "hes too weak, too shite we need better"

Why would he not have a haircut?

• Like 1

All our passing and creativity can't come from Buendia, we need at least a couple of players who can keep the ball and find a pass. Ramsey might develop into such a player but he needs time.

McGinn has a lot of upside but those attributes are not among them, Nakamba absolutely does not have those traits. Luiz does.

I'm all for bringing in someone like Zakaria, been suggesting him for years along with other similar payers. Can't see him coming here thou, his agent managed to get Martin Braithwaite a contract with Barcelona ffs :D 

Selling Luiz would be a move in the wrong directing IMO. If he refuses to sign a new contract that obviously changes things.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, AndyM3000 said:

If he leaves he will go onto better things. Quote me on it.

Because he'll play either in a system which sees him at his best or he will play in a league like Italy where his qualities work from a deep lying play maker role. 

Different leagues, different team and different level opposition but didn't Gerrard play with Steven Davis in the deeper of the 3 midfield positions at Rangers? In the DLP role one might even say.

3 minutes ago, sne said:

Different leagues, different team and different level opposition but didn't Gerrard play with Steven Davis in the deeper of the 3 midfield positions at Rangers? In the DLP role one might even say.

im sure Luiz would boss it in a Rangers team with 70%+ possession where he isnt getting pressured, and doesnt need to be as physical or aggressive.

Not sure its a good comparison to playing someone in the deep role in the PL (at least for any team outside the top 3).

Edited by MaVilla

Just now, MaVilla said:

im sure Luiz would boss it in a Rangers team with 70%+ possession where he isnt getting pressured, and doesnt need to be as physical or aggressive.

Not sure its a good comparison to playing someone in the deep role in the PL.

Yeah I'm sure he would too. Point is that maybe we won't be looking for a "destroyer" for that role as much as we will look for players who are more rounded and can still pass the ball. Might even be so that we want the two 8's to be the ones who wins the ball higher up while the 6 is still the DLP.

Or maybe we try and build a midfield where the roles are not as rigid as we are thinking in this thread.

If we could double our money on him I would cash in. A lot of our fans seem to think our players are a lot better than they are, Luiz definitely fits into this category imo. We’ve lost more games than Newcastle ffs. Need to stop looking at some of our players through Claret and Blue tinted spectacles. Nakamba doesn’t get anywhere near the adulation this bloke gets, yet results suggest he has far more impact on the team!

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, sne said:

Yeah I'm sure he would too. Point is that maybe we won't be looking for a "destroyer" for that role as much as we will look for players who are more rounded and can still pass the ball. Might even be so that we want the two 8's to be the ones who wins the ball higher up while the 6 is still the DLP.

Or maybe we try and build a midfield where the roles are not as rigid as we are thinking in this thread.

ye, i agree we dont want a pure "destroyer" in the 6 role, we need a hybrid of Luiz & Nakamba, someone who is physical, aggressive and good defensively, but someone who can also comfortably retain the ball and recycle possession (maybe not pitch long passes etc, but someone who can retain and recycle possession well).

Now, i dont mean someone who is 10/10 at both sides of the game, but we do need more aggression and physicality in that DM role, but also someone who can pass a bit.

Im sure there are these players out there, i just think Luiz is too lightweight and passive for the 6 role.

I get the impression Gerrard does like a DM role, as the other two midfielders drift wide to cover the full backs etc, so there does seem to be defined roles, maybe one reason Gerrard liked Nakamba so much.

Either way, the DM and LB role are critical for us in Jan i think.

5 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

I get the impression Gerrard does like a DM role, as the other two midfielders drift wide to cover the full backs etc, so there does seem to be defined roles, maybe one reason Gerrard liked Nakamba so much.

Either way, the DM and LB role are critical for us in Jan i think.

Be interesting to see how we move forward under Gerrard. So far our central midfield has looked like it has due to need, injuries and Covid as much as anything I'd guess. At first when Gerrard came in Luiz was injured just like Sanson. Luiz came into the team and Nakamba kept his role, then he got injured so Luiz is back at DM. Sanson's been in and out and McGinn has missed a game. Ramsey is pretty much the only mainstay.

Would not been overly surprised is our choice midfield with everyone fit would have been 

McGinn Luiz Sanson

Buendia Ramsey

But we'll never know now, very possible that he'd have seen Nakamba as integral in there instead.

16 hours ago, TomC said:

He distributes and passes pretty well and, while not good enough to be the primary DM, still can defend. In a 3 man midfield system with someone else as the pure DM, he fits in pretty well.

i think we need players with more grit and drive in that position 

45 minutes ago, sne said:

Be interesting to see how we move forward under Gerrard. So far our central midfield has looked like it has due to need, injuries and Covid as much as anything I'd guess. At first when Gerrard came in Luiz was injured just like Sanson. Luiz came into the team and Nakamba kept his role, then he got injured so Luiz is back at DM. Sanson's been in and out and McGinn has missed a game. Ramsey is pretty much the only mainstay.

Would not been overly surprised is our choice midfield with everyone fit would have been 

McGinn Luiz Sanson

Buendia Ramsey

But we'll never know now, very possible that he'd have seen Nakamba as integral in there instead.

ye i thought similar, although tbh i would prob switch Sanson & Ramsey in that lineup (personal choice).

I think with a proper DM to replace Luiz, that is basically what i would do also.

I suppose the next question is, where does Bailey fit in to that?

Â