Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

1 minute ago, MaVilla said:

ye i thought similar, although tbh i would prob switch Sanson & Ramsey in that lineup (personal choice).

I think with a proper DM to replace Luiz, that is basically what i would do also.

I suppose the next question is, where does Bailey fit in to that?

I'd probably have McGinn next to Buendia as the two #10's and have Luiz as one of the 3 CM's still. Gladly bring in a new CM like Zakaria or Kamara (the Marseille one) and have Sanson & Ramsey fight for the CM spots.

I do fear that some of our recent purchases (Traore, Bailey) will not be ideally suited to how Gerrard would prefer to play. Then again he might not be all that rigid in how he sets up.

2 minutes ago, meregreen said:

This guy has talent, but boy can he be complacent in possession. In the Premiership, you will be punished if you are too easily robbed of the ball.

So no move to Scotland for him then?

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

Can we really be considering selling a Brazil international because he is not good enough for us?

I hope not.

Sounds mental when put like that. I like him at his best, I dislike his inconsistency. I also feel he strikes an odd balance that hinders our flow some games. I'd hate to see him go for free, if a good offer came in and we had better lined up then I'd consider it.

Edited by Phil Silvers

11 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

Can we really be considering selling a Brazil international because he is not good enough for us?

I hope not.

Yes but the excuse is of his name was David Lewis he wouldn't have Brazilian caps 

It still doesn't make sense to me. Brazil have a much better centre midfield than England 

34 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

I hope not.

No we would be selling him because he doesn't really fit our system. He is clearly a deep lying play maker and going to somewhere like Italy he'll be seen to his best as he will have time on the ball. Everything is too fast in the Prem, the pressing is constant. He doesn't have the grit for that 24/7 like Gerrard demands and the role he's best suited to isn't a role Gerrard has in his team. 

He's not a bad player, he's a good player. He's just not a player suited to Gerrard's Aston Villa

• Like 1

Just now, CVByrne said:

No we would be selling him because he doesn't really fit our system. He is clearly a deep lying play maker and going to somewhere like Italy he'll be seen to his best as he will have time on the ball. Everything is too fast in the Prem, the pressing is constant. He doesn't have the grit for that 24/7 like Gerrard demands and the role he's best suited to isn't a role Gerrard has in his team. 

He's not a bad player, he's a good player. He's just not a player suited to Gerrard's Aston Villa

He played Steven Davis in that role at Rangers. He's basically a Smurf. Granted that was in Scotland.

Just now, sne said:

He played Steven Davis in that role at Rangers. He's basically a Smurf. Granted that was in Scotland.

Rangers in Scotland dominate every football match (bar 1) and are set up to break down inferior teams sitting deep. In that type of team Luiz would be perfect as he would have little pressure on him and time to pick passes. His defensive work would not be needed as much as his attacking and passing.

Just now, CVByrne said:

Rangers in Scotland dominate every football match (bar 1) and are set up to break down inferior teams sitting deep. In that type of team Luiz would be perfect as he would have little pressure on him and time to pick passes. His defensive work would not be needed as much as his attacking and passing.

Fully agree, but to say that Gerrard demands a certain type of type in that role isn't really correct unless you base it on the very limited number of games he's been manager here where he's seldom have had more than 3 players fit to choose from for the 3 midfield positions.

Just now, sne said:

Fully agree, but to say that Gerrard demands a certain type of type in that role isn't really correct unless you base it on the very limited number of games he's been manager here where he's seldom have had more than 3 players fit to choose from for the 3 midfield positions.

Well it's clear how he wants the midfield 3 to play. It's exactly how Klopp has his midfield 3 play. A "destroyer" ball winner, a "shuffler" and a "box to box". He also knows the level of consistency of application required in the Prem, especially from those 3 midfielders. 

Just now, CVByrne said:

Well it's clear how he wants the midfield 3 to play. It's exactly how Klopp has his midfield 3 play. A "destroyer" ball winner, a "shuffler" and a "box to box". He also knows the level of consistency of application required in the Prem, especially from those 3 midfielders. 

Would need quite a few new players to be able to play like Liverpool. Just like the Ranger comparison we are never going to be able to dominate games in the way that Liverpool does so our CM's won't be expected to perform the roles that theirs do.

1 minute ago, sne said:

Would need quite a few new players to be able to play like Liverpool. Just like the Ranger comparison we are never going to be able to dominate games in the way that Liverpool does so our CM's won't be expected to perform the roles that theirs do.

He just wants to set up his midfield that way. There is a difference between tactics and quality of player. 

I think Gerrard is happy with JJ, Nakamba and McGinn so I see those 3 not going anywhere in summer. Sanson has not had a chance to show what he can do and he's only 1 year into a 4 & 1/2 year contract so it would be highly unlikely he would be moved on because it would be at a loss. 

We will sign that "Destroyer" and then that levels the Luiz question. Sell him and get in a replacement or get him to sign a new contract

19 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I love how people can't stop throwing "Brazilian international" around like he's anywhere near the first 11

He made the last 2 major tournament squads for Brazil. The Olympics is huge in Brazil

I think he's a good player when used correctly (i.e having Nakamba next to/behind him) - he's not a DM. Id be a little disappointed if he left having not used him correctly for a long time, but if we intend to use him as a DM then Id take the money and watch him be a better player when used properly at a new club 

2 minutes ago, StewieGriffin said:

I think he's a good player when used correctly (i.e having Nakamba next to/behind him) - he's not a DM. Id be a little disappointed if he left having not used him correctly for a long time, but if we intend to use him as a DM then Id take the money and watch him be a better player when used properly at a new club 

well, if he doesnt sign a new contract in the next 6 months, we will probably need to offload him anyway.

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

He made the last 2 major tournament squads for Brazil. The Olympics is huge in Brazil

Only injury would have kept him out of the Olympic squad given his eligibility, it’s an U23 tournament.

5 minutes ago, Zatman said:

He hardly played in Copa America, got a bit of time as a sub, but most of his minutes came in a dead rubber game at the end of the group.

No idea about how popular the Olympics are in Brazil, you might be right, but they're still limited to the same rules as everyone else, he got into the side because he was young enough. I find it hard to believe even in Brazil it's considered a "major" tournament.

I'm happy he got his medal and hope he gets many more games for them, just find it a bit tiring people always talk about him being a Brazil international when he's clearly got a way to go to become a regular first team player for them.

Edited by Davkaus

Â