Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

On 31/12/2021 at 13:17, Rightdm00 said:

You can't be serious. Ashley Westwood left us and has played for Burnley his entire career. Douglas will move to a team in the champions league. Besides the two player both being deep lying playmakers they couldn't be more dissimilar. 

both just recycle the ball for me.

Thats your opinion, just like the ones fretting, he was going back to Man City...when there was no chance,imv, which was proved right, with the clause elapsing without a whimper.

Dougie has a nice, tidy style, granted....but overrated on here for me.....easy on the eye, decent passer, particularly when there is no pressing, not sure what affect he has...but hey ho...not great in duels or under pressure.

A guy close to me in the ground said, "I just don't see what folk see in him" I said "I thought it was just me"

The tragedy for me is, I think he is an ok footballer, never a CDM.....but not as good as many maintain on here.....but I can only appraise him as a no6.

My question to you is.......If we bring in a quality CDM which many fans have been calling for, where does Dougie Play?.....further up field or does he lose his place?

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

I think one thing it is important not to overlook with Luiz is his age. 

The guy is only 23 years old and there is plenty of opportunity (particularly working with Gerrard) for his game to go up another level.

It's no surprise to see the likes of Aresnal reported to be interested in signing Luiz.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Brumstopdogs said:

The guy is only 23 years old and there is plenty of opportunity (particularly working with Gerrard) for his game to go up another level.

It's no surprise to see the likes of Aresnal reported to be interested in signing Luiz.

I accept that.....but I guess, my dubious view, is as much about the role he plays, than him as a footballer.

I could see him play well at Arsenal, but not as a No 6.

Nakamba and Luiz are chalk and cheese for me...but we play them in the same role, that is what I find hard to reconcile....2 entirely different players for me.

I accept that Luiz could be a Paul Scholes, but then, in such circumstances, who is our Roy Keane?

43 minutes ago, Brumstopdogs said:

Another thing to consider is.....Martinelli, Saka and Smith Rowe are ..20/20/21 respectively.

He should be tearing it up, by now.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, TRO said:

Another thing to consider is.....Martinelli, Saka and Smith Rowe are ..20/20/21 respectively.

He should be tearing it up, by now.

That's all well and good but all of them play in a different position. They have a sense of freedom about them, Luiz needs to be quite conservative in his play.

I'm just trying to think of midfielders who are roughly the same age who are currently "tearing it up", it's a misnomer of a phrase anyway....take for example Kelvin Phillips, decent last season but struggling this year, Decline Rice perhaps? Anyone else? Bissouma sprang to mind but then I realised he's two years older than Luiz....

This isn't to anyway counter your point just to think about a comparison to Dougie Luiz.

Edited by Zhan_Zhuang
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

That's all well and good but all of them play in a different position. They have a sense of freedom about them, Luiz needs to be quite conservative in his play.

I'm just trying to think of midfielders who are roughly the same age who are currently "tearing it up", it's a misnomer of a phrase anyway....take for example Kelvin Phillips, decent last season but struggling this year, Decline Rice perhaps? Anyone else? Bissouma sprang to mind but then I realised he's two years older than Luiz....

This isn't to anyway counter your point just to think about a comparison to Dougie Luiz.

Yeah, I get that.

I think Dougie could be used better than that, That's why, when he plays further forward, I can see better quality in him...and more opportunities.

I look for a No6 with more aggression and Intensity....Thats why I struggle with Dougie at times.

Its not a slight on him personally, more of me , with the role.....I don't quite get the "deep lying playmaker" thing.

4 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

All about opinions but I personally think you have to be looking very hard to only see an ‘ok’ player in Luiz.

To a certain extent you see what you want to see in players (boxers as well). For me I have to agree with Tro, Dougie's a decent player but has found his level and thats mid table. Hes decent at everything but not exceptional in anything. He also has a tendency to over commit in our box . Looks very tidy when there's no pressure on the ball. 

1 minute ago, TRO said:

Yeah, I get that.

I think Dougie could be used better than that, That's why, when he plays further forward, I can see better quality in him...and more opportunities.

I look for a No6 with more aggression and Intensity....Thats why I struggle with Dougie at times.

Its not a slight on him personally, more of me , with the role.....I don't quite get the "deep lying playmaker" thing.

It's an interesting one, we see what we see at times....

There was a video compiled this season (I don't where I saw it) showing many of his interceptions, tackles and a few fouls. I think he can be quite nasty at times too, this he's learned more of recently. If Gerrard likes him, we will see great improvements to Douglas Luiz.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

All about opinions but I personally think you have to be looking very hard to only see an ‘ok’ player in Luiz.

Maybe its because, I have only seen him play in the No 6 role.......IIRC he scored a screamer against Bournemouth, when he first arrived and hasn't been over the half way line since ( light hearted exaggeration of course).

I think there is much more to come from Dougie, but he is played in this "under the stairs" role and not let out to see the sunshine.

For his main role, he just recyles the ball received from the defender turnovers....He is not particularly strong in duels or close contact, hence my frown on his role.

I am hoping SG can get more from him, but I accept, we maybe have more pressing needs before that.

I am not Anti-Dougie, just think the team could benefit from a more effective version......I know passing is an important feature of the game, but too often, it is when no one is around....it then becomes passive.

I want to see a telling challenge, come out with the ball and a telling pass on the end of it......I don't see that very often with DL.....Thats what I call an impressive turnover and crucial imo for European Football to be a real ambition.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

There was a video compiled this season (I don't where I saw it) showing many of his interceptions, tackles and a few fouls. I think he can be quite nasty at times too, this he's learned more of recently. If Gerrard likes him, we will see great improvements to Douglas Luiz.

No disrespect to the lads around him but I think he will come in to his own if/when they move up another with their technical ability, he is smart and needs smart players around him and we will then see another level from Dougie. That said for the majority of what's come before, Ive struggled to see a connection between him and SJM. Do we need to break it up, sell one and recruit better? Maybe, but we still have the Gerrard effect that will be rubbing off on them as the weeks pass by.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

If Gerrard likes him, I will concede my views.

I am not trying to be arrogant or pig headed, I genuinely, don't see what some do, and I do respect other views.

I was discussing the DLPM role with my wife this morning, she is a season ticket holder too......She actually liked Ashley Westwood, when he was with us, when I struggled with that too.

I am genuinely trying to understand the role and find it difficult to reconcile.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, The Other Mat said:

I love Villatalk... A quick memory refresh for comparison. 

Content Warning - Mild Peril, Ashley Westwood and Burnley FC. 

He was in a crap team here 

My abiding memory of AW is him miraculously finding those couple of goals near the end of his Villa career when he was looking for a new contract here or elsewhere.

1 hour ago, Phil Silvers said:

He was in a crap team here 

My abiding memory of AW is him miraculously finding those couple of goals near the end of his Villa career when he was looking for a new contract here or elsewhere.

I know, I liked him as a player, he did a job, but Luiz is already a better a player than him and I'm not even sure they're comparable. Luiz has much, much more in his locker. 

I think the big question here is though,  why someone would make a highlight reel of AW and how it got over 8 minutes long?!

Edited by The Other Mat
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, The Other Mat said:

I know, I liked him as a player, he did a job, but Luiz is already a better a player than him and I'm not even sure they're comparable. Luiz has much, much more in his locker. 

I think the big question here is though, is why someone would make a highlight reel of AW and how it got over 8 minutes long?!

He was solid and tidy but crab like, every player has 8 minutes worth over a career that long. As for DL, on another level and still not at his full potential yet.

Â