Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

18 minutes ago, nick76 said:

They really need to sort the international windows, it’s becoming more stupid as the seasons go by.

Condense international windows into 1 month blocks where they play 4/5 games. International players are gone for 1 month and non international players get a rest period. Two International windows per year.

International breaks are fine if a bit boring. It's the quarantines and Covid protocols that makes it a disaster these days. Players should not travel all across the world for 2 games and then spend weeks isolating before they can play with their clubs while this is ongoing.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Condense international windows into 1 month blocks where they play 4/5 games. International players are gone for 1 month and non international players get a rest period. Two International windows per year.

when would you like it? in the summer when the major european leagues have a break? but the minor european leagues, the north american leagues, south american leagues and asian leagues dont?

thats the reality of FIFAs problem, they cant base their international windows around what convenient to the PL, there is no answer for this, they have to take in to consideration 200 leagues all starting and finishing at different times

the impact of corona and considerations there is slightly different 

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

when would you like it? in the summer when the major european leagues have a break? but the minor european leagues, the north american leagues, south american leagues and asian leagues dont?

thats the reality of FIFAs problem, they cant base their international windows around what convenient to the PL, there is no answer for this, they have to take in to consideration 200 leagues all starting and finishing at different times

the impact of corona and considerations there is slightly different 

With revenues of over $1 billion a year, FIFA should spend some of that money, time and energy trying to figure it out because each year it’s getting worse and surely hurting their profits.  A bit of organisation, making events out of it and they’ll make more money from it like a European qualification tournament for entry to the World Cup, a South American same…tv revenues would be higher.

30 minutes ago, nick76 said:

With revenues of over $1 billion a year, FIFA should spend some of that money, time and energy trying to figure it out because each year it’s getting worse and surely hurting their profits.  A bit of organisation, making events out of it and they’ll make more money from it like a European qualification tournament for entry to the World Cup, a South American same…tv revenues would be higher.

that still only solves the problem though if FIFA then made all of those tournaments summer tournaments to suit the major european leagues, if not then it would be like several AFCONs taking place and teams losing players for a month every january or February when a lot of leagues shut down

Brazil and Argentina play league football during our summer break, so do mexico, USA, the Scandinavian countries, Japan, australia etc etc

dont get me wrong international breaks are shit but i don't see the way around them other than billy big bollocks top 5 European leagues having their way which seeing as there are 206 other FAs with the same voting power as those 5 i don't think it will work

• Like 1

5 hours ago, villa89 said:

Put them at the end of the season. So club football is uninterrupted and international football has meaning. Rather than just being a boring waste. 

8 hours ago, VillaAlex said:

Called up to Brazil squad as replacement for Casemiro. Will now at least miss the Wolves game I'd expect.

So Casemiro has a fifa rating of 89 and Dougie is replacing him in the squad, with a fifa rating of 76....because they are both classed as CDM's....ok

do these fifa ratings actually mean anything?

Edited by TRO

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

that still only solves the problem though if FIFA then made all of those tournaments summer tournaments to suit the major european leagues, if not then it would be like several AFCONs taking place and teams losing players for a month every january or February when a lot of leagues shut down

Brazil and Argentina play league football during our summer break, so do mexico, USA, the Scandinavian countries, Japan, australia etc etc

dont get me wrong international breaks are shit but i don't see the way around them other than billy big bollocks top 5 European leagues having their way which seeing as there are 206 other FAs with the same voting power as those 5 i don't think it will work

No, have a summer window and a winter window.  The winter window replaces the multiple little windows we have in the season and aligns with the AFCON timing.  Have the 8-10 intl games in that 4-5 week period for international teams.  We don’t lose all the travelling time to and from mini intl windows and players aren’t as knackered.

As for the different timing for all the leagues, let’s be honest, football at an elite level is all year round these days…players only get small breaks these days so it doesn’t really matter.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, TRO said:

So Casemiro has a fifa rating of 89 and Dougie is replacing him in the squad, with a fifa rating of 76....because they are both classed as CDM's....ok

It means they're having to replace their first choice player with one who is in decent form and plays the same position but probably not quite as good.  Hardly rocket science.

2 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

It means they're having to replace their first choice player with one who is in decent form and plays the same position but probably not quite as good.  Hardly rocket science.

Oh!

21 hours ago, TRO said:

This is one confusing post.

Are you saying that he should have been replaced with someone with a similar FIFA rating who is a different position?

And no, of course you shouldn't go off FIFA ratings.

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, NeilS said:

Dougie defends Villa

Not sure how true this story is, but It sounds like Dougie has been involved in an online spat with an ex brazillian footballer after his call up to the Brazil squad.

"Premier League side Aston Villa became a topic in Brazil’s sports media last night, as a social media fight about the club’s magnitude took place.

That all started with Neto, a Corinthians legend and now pundit, who has nearly two million followers on Instagram.

He didn’t like the fact that Douglas Luiz was called up by Brazil and made some comments on his TV show Donos da Bola.

Douglas Luiz became aware of that, and on Twitter, called Neto ‘the clown of television’.

That’s when Neto went on Instagram, and not only attacked the player, but Aston Villa as well. He compared the club to Portuguesa Santista, who are a traditional non-league side in Brazil.

So Douglas Luiz came out in defence of his club, calling them ‘giants’.

“I didn’t like the way he said it again, he said that Aston Vila are a Portuguesa Santista who speak English. I looked at his resume and he hasn’t played in any big team outside Brazil. Who’s Neto to talk about Aston Vila, who for me are European giants.”

“You, Neto, you didn’t play anywhere, you talk too much. I don’t know who gave you the nickname of crack. But it’s fine, life goes on.”

With Douglas’ response, Neto stopped the fight, even though there’s a big chance this could continue in Donos da Bola once it goes live this afternoon."

Absolutely love this from Dougie

Â