Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

2 minutes ago, Indigo said:

Luiz is most definitely a 6 for me. Looks out of place whenever he's played elsewhere. His absence in that area has been more than noticable in every game without him this season.

I think against Everton, he played further forward and looked better for me.

I would call him an 8 playing in a 6 role....but hey ho, its all opinions.

36 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Did he also fly from Brazil overnight the same day as the game?

No he was wrapped in several layers of thermal bonding , with muscle supporting structures and altitude adjusted oxygen that enabled him to complete 90 minutes.

You do realise a footballer runs no more than 10k in a typical prem game ?

What is it you think happens to Luiz on his flight Brazil ? 

....and if something did happen why was he deemed ok for 68 minutes but couldn't possibly play 90 ? 

• Haha 2

Plays as a 6 at Villa, plays as a 6 (or 5 as the call it in Brazil) with the national side. Sure he could do a job further up but we play with a tactic where we want the deepest midfielder to be distributing the ball and collect it from the defenders. Nakamba certainly can't handle that role, and Tuanzebe :D even less so.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, hippo said:

No he was wrapped in several layers of thermal bonding , with muscle supporting structures and altitude adjusted oxygen that enabled him to complete 90 minutes.

You do realise a footballer runs no more than 10k in a typical prem game ?

What is it you think happens to Luiz on his flight Brazil ? 

....and if something did happen why was he deemed ok for 68 minutes but couldn't possibly play 90 ? 

What does any of this have to do with a 12+ hour flight overnight + jet lag + competing at the highest level physically?

Just now, StefanAVFC said:

What does any of this have to do with a 12+ hour flight overnight + jet lag + competing at the highest level physically?

That realistically he would have been able to perform pretty much at the required level.

If he wasn't - I don't see 22 minutes really making the difference. If he was ok for 68 minutes imo he would have been ok for 90.

At 67 minutes I thought we were pretty comfortable tbh it wasn't as if DL was hurtling around making last ditch tackles, kicking shots of the line.

If it ain't broken !

57 minutes ago, hippo said:

That realistically he would have been able to perform pretty much at the required level.

If he wasn't - I don't see 22 minutes really making the difference. If he was ok for 68 minutes imo he would have been ok for 90.

At 67 minutes I thought we were pretty comfortable tbh it wasn't as if DL was hurtling around making last ditch tackles, kicking shots of the line.

If it ain't broken !

You say that but the chance for muscle injuries goes way up after a player reaches a certain level of fatigue. Given that they track numerous physical metrics of each player on the pitch I'm pretty sure that extra half hour was not as inconsequential as you are trying to make it out to be. 

38 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

You say that but the chance for muscle injuries goes way up after a player reaches a certain level of fatigue. Given that they track numerous physical metrics of each player on the pitch I'm pretty sure that extra half hour was not as inconsequential as you are trying to make it out to be. 

No I agree about the injuries - you are quite correct.

But that is a risk we can only minimise not eliminate. Luiz wasn't certain to get injured had he stayed on.

Before he was subbed we looked pretty comfortable. We don't have a decent back up for Luiz. I think we tried to be clever. 

3pts were within reach - we needed at that point to focus on that. Not that DL may get injured if he stays or would be fresher for the arsenal game. Keep it simple.

24 minutes ago, hippo said:

No I agree about the injuries - you are quite correct.

But that is a risk we can only minimise not eliminate. Luiz wasn't certain to get injured had he stayed on.

Before he was subbed we looked pretty comfortable. We don't have a decent back up for Luiz. I think we tried to be clever. 

3pts were within reach - we needed at that point to focus on that. Not that DL may get injured if he stays or would be fresher for the arsenal game. Keep it simple.

Nakamba should have been enough.  People were calling him to even start at times last season and this one. The whole point of a squad is to minimize risk like leaving Douglas on to long and then he is out for a month or more with a muscle injury. 

The players should have been able to hang on but one nice set play and 2 luck a** deflections put us under. Wolves used all their season luck in one 15 minute period. 

1 hour ago, Rightdm00 said:

Nakamba should have been enough.  People were calling him to even start at times last season and this one. The whole point of a squad is to minimize risk like leaving Douglas on to long and then he is out for a month or more with a muscle injury. 

The players should have been able to hang on but one nice set play and 2 luck a** deflections put us under. Wolves used all their season luck in one 15 minute period. 

Personally I don't think Nkamba has played well this season.

I wouldn't have swapped Luiz out for him, esp as we were under no real pressure.

I'd prefer a jaded Luiz to a fit Nakamba.

YMMV.

Probably our best player on a poor night?  Couple of absolute brain fart passes straight to the opposition, but thought he did his defensive job fairly well on the whole and tried to get things moving a bit more than others.

Just now, bobzy said:

Probably our best player on a poor night?  Couple of absolute brain fart passes straight to the opposition, but thought he did his defensive job fairly well on the whole and tried to get things moving a bit more than others.

Of the outfield starters I'm not gonna argue! 

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

This says a lot about our overall performance.  

On 18/10/2021 at 15:36, sne said:

Plays as a 6 at Villa, plays as a 6 (or 5 as the call it in Brazil) with the national side. Sure he could do a job further up but we play with a tactic where we want the deepest midfielder to be distributing the ball and collect it from the defenders. Nakamba certainly can't handle that role, and Tuanzebe :D even less so.

Sounds a nice job that.....I do get that....distributing the ball is important.

but who is going to get the ball back? are we waiting for the defenders to get it?, with that tactic.

12 minutes ago, TRO said:

Sounds a nice job that.....I do get that....distributing the ball is important.

but who is going to get the ball back? are we waiting for the defenders to get it?, with that tactic.

He's averaging quite high numbers this season for interceptions, blocked passes etc.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Surely this is a massive red flag for those who, for some strange reason, don't think he's an important player for us. 

The difference is stark when he doesn't play. In the sense of how far the drop in quality is to the next player down in the pecking order he may well be our most important outfield player to keep available.

Â