Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

2 hours ago, sne said:

Didn't do enough big boy shouting or waving of arms from the bench after he was substituted (insert name from 70's) would have demanded more and bla bla bla. He's also not tall enough.

He is taller than Nobby Stiles and John Giles 😉

• Haha 2

On 17/10/2021 at 02:56, TRO said:

5 fans voted Dougie MOTM......98 Voted for SJM

I would be genuinely interested to know what they saw that prompted them to cast their vote to Dougie.

The suspense is overwhelming.

It's hardly a John Le Carre novel, is it?

• Haha 4

13 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Luiz and McGinn, when they're both playing well, definitely have a big impact on how good the other player looks.

McGinn is the energy and Luiz is the shape. Without the ball, McGinn is the one pressing and harassing, and then Luiz is the one cutting off angles and runs. In possession, McGinn is the one making runs, and Luiz is the one finding the deeper pocket of space.

Without McGinn's energy, Luiz gets overrun. Without Luiz's positional awareness, McGinn's aggressive pressing leaves big holes.

What we lost when Luiz went off was that composure and shape. Nakamba isn't that safe out ball, because teammates don't trust his touch, and he doesn't see good passes.

I agree with you McGinn put in a better all-round performance, but I don't think it's a coincidence that we collapsed after Luiz went off.

its all opinions, but I don't think the substitutions caused it....it may look coincidental in terms of timing, but I don't think the subs were the main issue, that lead to the collapse, it was coming, before the 80th minute.

However, I do think when we play, Ramsey,McGinn amd Luiz in midfield we are effectively playing with 3 x 8's.....meaning their natural position is 8....thats my opinion.

We should be playing ideally with a natural 6, 8 & 10......The contrast for a complete midfield, is not there......They are deployed in to roles, they are not best at.

Initially , We need a player of the stature and versatility of Declan Rice.....sure they are hard to find, but we must search.....The midfield is too samey.

4 minutes ago, PaulC said:

That Leeds midfield of Giles and Bremner was short but were as good as anything around so height shouldn't be an issue. 

Of course even the best midfielders of the last 15-20 years weren't giants. Xavi, Pirlo, Scholes, Iniesta, Makelele

Just now, Zatman said:

Of course even the best midfielders of the last 15-20 years weren't giants. Xavi, Pirlo, Scholes, Iniesta, Makelele

quite true Xavi is about the best midfield player  ever. The issue for me is we invite pressure by giving the ball away too easily. The 3-5-2 becomes a 5-3-2. Yes we could do with a Declan Rice but he would cost as much as what we sold Grealish for.  Finding them is not easy 

20 minutes ago, TRO said:

it may look coincidental in terms of timing, but I don't think the subs were the main issue, that lead to the collapse, it was coming, before the 80th minute.

Maybe Luiz was  tiring  but even when you concede ground you shouldn't give away three goals in 10 minutes. So  much panic and errors. 

4 minutes ago, sne said:

Luiz went off in the 67th and we conceded the first goal in the 80th. 

Yes but Declan Rice would have stopped us losing even if Luiz wasn't on the pitch 

Well have conceded 5 goals out of 12 with him on the pitch. 4 of them away to Chelsea and Spurs

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, PaulC said:

That Leeds midfield of Giles and Bremner was short but were as good as anything around so height shouldn't be an issue. 

Height is/is not an issue, but a good big 'un will beat a good little 'un in most cases....but height can be an advantage with aerial balls.

sure if you get a more diminuitive player with fire in their belly, they can make up for the size, like Kante.....if you look at Messi or maradona as an extreme view, they relished the physical challenge and deal/t with it, but they had the natural talent to do so...George Best too just rode the tackles.

as an example, Tyson Fury, uses his weight advantage to good affect, but he can box too....I am not saying a big lump, who can't play, they have to do both.

Declan Rice is good example of  players who can play attacking balls and can defend off the ball, he can also win crucial headers in midfield to create attacking moves...and for a young player reads the game well for winning the ball in transition.

Giles and Bremner was exeptional as was Souness and Case, I could say Mortimer and Bremner.....but it is no surprise why those teams did so well, with that kind of aggression and urgency, in their engine room.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

Declan Rice 😂 atttacking passes 😂😂😂

6 assists in 150 Premier League games

But attacking passes are not assists and hes the holding midfield player so not going to have many assists.  I think hes a brilliant DM 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, PaulC said:

But attacking passes are not assists and hes the holding midfield player so not going to have many assists.  I think hes a brilliant DM 

....and he's doesn't get subbed after 65 minutes.

16 hours ago, M_Afro said:

We need to get him signed up to a new contract. We are turning him in to a really good player. It would be really annoying if someone else reaps the benefits of this.

A contingent of Villa fans on here and in social media were adamant over the summer that Luiz was holding us back. Now he is one one of our top performers. I mention this because we have a host of young, inexperienced players like Luiz in our squad that you have to have patience with. 

I fully agree though, we desperately need him to sign that new deal or we will have to reluctantly sell this summer. 

7 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

A contingent of Villa fans on here and in social media were adamant over the summer that Luiz was holding us back. Now he is one one of our top performers. I mention this because we have a host of young, inexperienced players like Luiz in our squad that you have to have patience with. 

I fully agree though, we desperately need him to sign that new deal or we will have to reluctantly sell this summer. 

and some like me think, he is a good player, played in the wrong role.

Â