Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

35 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

I think more likely is he is trying to leverage interest into a better deal. And with his current form he probably doesn't want to be lowballed. 

That could well be the case, none of us are privy to contract negotiations and have no idea what is on offer to the player. Fingers crossed this all gets resolved and a new contract signed fairly quickly as I rate Douglas and think he will become an important player for us in the upcoming years. I would be gutted to lose him now as he is about to hit his prime years.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, MaVilla said:

its basically that they thought Man City might activate the buy back, they werent sure, they planned for the possibility of him leaving, but the clause wasnt activated, and its now expired.

I think City decided against it as it would impact their pursuit of Grealish. It's clear Ward Prowse in and Luiz out was a plan to upgrade our midfield. We couldn't pull that one off. 

What we don't know is if a) the Club want to sign Luiz to a contract extension and b) if Luiz wants to stay or he might want to move to Europe like to Roma. 

I think Sanson is going to play in place of Luiz in some of the games when he is fit. (he's 31/151/51 CDM/CM/AMC). So letting Luiz go in Jan for the right price is an option

Edited by CVByrne

50 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I think City decided against it as it would impact their pursuit of Grealish. It's clear Ward Prowse in and Luiz out was a plan to upgrade our midfield. We couldn't pull that one off. 

What we don't know is if a) the Club want to sign Luiz to a contract extension and b) if Luiz wants to stay or he might want to move to Europe like to Roma. 

I think Sanson is going to play in place of Luiz in some of the games when he is fit. (he's 31/151/51 CDM/CM/AMC). So letting Luiz go in Jan for the right price is an option

If we let go of Luiz and keep mcginn that would be so dumb. Luiz is so much better than him. Sanson is more similar to McGinn and should replace him if he is fit and capable. 

2 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

If we let go of Luiz and keep mcginn that would be so dumb. Luiz is so much better than him. Sanson is more similar to McGinn and should replace him if he is fit and capable. 

I assume you're joking. McGinn has been our best player so far this season!!

2 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I assume you're joking. McGinn has been our best player so far this season!!

I mean clearly it has been Luiz. He is the difference between us losing at Watford and beating united.

2 assists as well. 

Edited by MotoMkali

1 minute ago, lexicon said:

There's no point talking about Luiz and McGinn as an either/or - they don't play in the same role. 

Well we are talking about who sanson might replace if he is ever fit. I personally think he basically replaces all of McGinns attributes whilst offering more consistent defensive application and interplay. 

If you read my post, I never said Sanson would replace Luiz, I said he'd play some games in that position. With Sanson and Nakamba if the right offer came in in Jan we could get to the end of season without Luiz when we would sign the big CDM that Smith wants for his system to work with 2 CBs and 1 CDM

Edited by CVByrne

Selling Douglas Luiz would have been, and remains, a horrible decision and one we would undoubtedly come to regret. Unless of course contract talks do breakdown, in which case it is the only sensible option left. 

I'm not saying this to blow my own beans all over the gaff, but there was a reason why I tipped him to have a breakout season and I feel like we are now seeing that form again. The fear still remains that a knock to his confidence or an injury or two could derail him once again, but if he can retain his current mindset and perhaps even kick on to another level we have a potential star on our hands. 

I do wonder though whether he actually wants to be here, or whether he feels appreciated at all by our supporters. The guy needs a song I think, you can tell from his social media output that he's the kinda player who needs to feel loved.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Selling Douglas Luiz would have been, and remains, a horrible decision and one we would undoubtedly come to regret. Unless of course contract talks do breakdown, in which case it is the only sensible option left. 

I'm not saying this to blow my own beans all over the gaff, but there was a reason why I tipped him to have a breakout season and I feel like we are now seeing that form again. The fear still remains that a knock to his confidence or an injury or two could derail him once again, but if he can retain his current mindset and perhaps even kick on to another level we have a potential star on our hands. 

I do wonder though whether he actually wants to be here, or whether he feels appreciated at all by our supporters. The guy needs a song I think, you can tell from his social media output that he's the kinda player who needs to feel loved.

Zero doubts we've been trying to get him to sign one.

From memory, I think he's pretty much the only big client of his agent so you'd hope we could convince them this is the right place for him.

If he won't sign wouldn't be surprised to see us actually try to sell him in Jan or next summer.

10 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Fwiw Ive always loved the little rap scallion. 

Agree he needs a song. 

17 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

Well we are talking about who sanson might replace if he is ever fit. I personally think he basically replaces all of McGinns attributes whilst offering more consistent defensive application and interplay. 

McGinn has been our best player this season, probably alongside Luiz. If Sanson comes in, it will probably be for Ramsey, and even then I think that's a mistake.
This is what competition does. Our midfield has gone up to a level I never thought I'd see and I think a lot of that is to do with the players knowing they have to play well otherwise they'll be dropped. 

7 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

McGinn has been our best player this season, probably alongside Luiz. If Sanson comes in, it will probably be for Ramsey, and even then I think that's a mistake.
This is what competition does. Our midfield has gone up to a level I never thought I'd see and I think a lot of that is to do with the players knowing they have to play well otherwise they'll be dropped. 

Disagree Ramsey and Luiz have both been better than McGinn (and McGinn has been good this season). And whilst I do think Smith would probably take Ramsey out first. McGinn is the most erratic and the one that might cost you games with his decision making. Plus he'd actually be a good substitute to throw on when you are chasing a game. 

I thought he was good for 75 minutes, a controlled performance, defensively very good, distribution not bad - and then the last fifteen minutes he was the complete opposite.

A pity, as it's the last ten minutes that are likely to stick in peoples minds. 

We need him to play well, he's hugely important to us. 

No player had more tackles than him today and only Reguillon with more tackles + interceptions. Whole team was largely poor on the ball today, and he lost his head a bit once we went behind again, but good to see him keeping up the form he's shown he can when it comes to the other side of the game.

Just now, Sulberto21 said:

Really? Incredible statement.

Well Ramsey was poor and as I said I thought Luiz was below par compared to his level this season, lost too many 50/50s and didn't protect back 3 well.

McGinn busy and thought he passed it well out to the wing backs at times which is key, some Barry esque passes at times. Yes he gave away ball for the 1st goal but I thought he was a bit unlucky there. Did well to win it at first but no one came short to receive.

Â