Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

12 minutes ago, TRO said:

Just inquisitive.

So for us, who is our equivalent Casemiro or Fabinho?

Well in terms of pure DM it's obviously Nakamba although he's obviously miles below quality of those and Luiz better at building moves from deep aswell.

We will sign one eventually so fear not.

Considering all the negativity on day transfer window closed the midfield has been fine this season and gone toe to toe and outplayed other top 6 midfields in recent weeks. Spurs game showed though it can still struggle at times so interesting what DS puts out v Wolves given Doug probably won't be around for that and Ramsey wasn't great v Spurs to put it midly.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Well in terms of pure DM it's obviously Nakamba although he's obviously miles below quality of those and Luiz better at building moves from deep aswell.

We will sign one eventually so fear not.

Considering all the negativity on day transfer window closed the midfield has been fine this season and gone toe to toe and outplayed other top 6 midfields in recent weeks. Spurs game showed though it can still struggle at times so interesting what DS puts out v Wolves given Doug probably won't be around for that and Ramsey wasn't great v Spurs to put it midly.

Chris, I am being devils advocate to a degree....I get what you are saying.

Luiz is better at building moves, never been in any doubt for me....but if we have aspirations of finishing above 11th......We have to move on to better midfielders, to aquire consistency.

I hear the cries of Ollie and Danny not working.....but I can't see us getting any better than them, in the medium term.....Those 2 are quality forwards....its behind where the issue is.

You are right the midfield has good days and not so good days.....maybe we will sign one, one day....and maybe Buendia will find his form for creativity.

Doug will have one year left on his deal next summer so decision will have to be made if he dosen't want to sign a new one e.g. have to sell him.

Could be decent swop with DM from european team perhaps as he'd still be in 15-20m range no problem.

16 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

So am I right that apart from jet lag and knackeredness, Doug and Emi can play straight away when they return?

They can.

I think Martinez will.

What will be interesting with Doug is if they let him leave early - if he's not on the bench and they already have a couple of wins under their belt, there's a chance they could be persuaded.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

They can.

I think Martinez will.

What will be interesting with Doug is if they let him leave early - if he's not on the bench and they already have a couple of wins under their belt, there's a chance they could be persuaded.

Not looking likely unfortunately, the Brazil boss has already said they're not releasing anyone early as they've been called up for 3 games.

"There was never that possibility [of them returning to England early]," Brazil boss Tite said (via the Daily Mail). "They were called up for the three games."

https://www.90min.com/posts/premier-league-news-brazil-decline-request-release-internationals-early

• Like 1

7 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

They can.

I think Martinez will.

Is this because of the change in government rules where as long as they remain in their bubble for 5 days they can play?

I doubt Doug will make the Wolves games. Hopefully Emi will. 

I think Nakamba can step in and do a job. 

10 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Doug will have one year left on his deal next summer so decision will have to be made if he dosen't want to sign a new one e.g. have to sell him.

Could be decent swop with DM from european team perhaps as he'd still be in 15-20m range no problem.

just as an example....Brentford have, Norgard,Janelt,Onyeka & Jensen all competent with good stature and a decent age profiles 2 are Danish Internationals......it doesn't take huge funds, it takes the ability to know what you need. I know Brentford are an exception in the transfer  market, but its doable is my point.

2 hours ago, TRO said:

just as an example....Brentford have, Norgard,Janelt,Onyeka & Jensen all competent with good stature and a decent age profiles 2 are Danish Internationals......it doesn't take huge funds, it takes the ability to know what you need. I know Brentford are an exception in the transfer  market, but its doable is my point.

Fair point but it’s easy to watch the odd game and be impressed by players. When you watch them every minute you soon see their faults too. 

I bet fans of other teams that have watched the odd villa game like against Man U and Everton would love their club to sign Dougie.

FWIW I think he’s a fantastic player that will only get better. Really hope he signs a new contract. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Fair point but it’s easy to watch the odd game and be impressed by players. When you watch them every minute you soon see their faults too. 

I bet fans of other teams that have watched the odd villa game like against Man U and Everton would love their club to sign Dougie.

FWIW I think he’s a fantastic player that will only get better. Really hope he signs a new contract. 

he is given an average rating for this season as 6.99 on whoscored.....which is ok , but is that fantastic?....really.....Nakamba is rated as 6.26...and I would guess your opinions of the 2 players performance values are quite contrasting.

I hope he does get better, but that is pure speculation on both our parts....if he gets better, he might add to his game, some of the things I am not currently convinced about playing in the role he does.

The Brentford players I mentioned are all in a similar ball park at much lower intial transfer fee.....If we are to pusue a path to improve, we don't necessarily have to spend more, just cutely.

ps if you follow some of my posts on him, when he does play well, I am quick to praise him and against Everton he did have one of his best games.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, TRO said:

he is given an average rating for this season as 6.99 on whoscored.....which is ok , but is that fantastic?....really.....Nakamba is rated as 6.26...and I would guess your opinions of the 2 players performance values are quite contrasting.

I hope he does get better, but that is pure speculation on both our parts....if he gets better, he might add to his game, some of the things I am not currently convinced about playing in the role he does.

The Brentford players I mentioned are all in a similar ball park at much lower intial transfer fee.....If we are to pusue a path to improve, we don't necessarily have to spend more, just cutely.

ps if you follow some of my posts on him, when he does play well, I am quick to praise him and against Everton he did have one of his best games.

Well it’s higher than Ndidi, Souceck and Fabinho.  3 players you admire in that position. So I guess on that basis he’s doing pretty well. :)

6 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Well it’s higher than Ndidi, Souceck and Fabinho.  3 players you admire in that position. So I guess on that basis he’s doing pretty well. :)

shows, I know nothing.😀

However, Fabinho rates 7.04 soucek at 7.21 and you are right on Ndidi 6.83.....but nothing in it granted.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, TRO said:

shows, I know nothing.😀

However, Fabinho rates 7.04 soucek at 7.21 and you are right on Ndidi 6.83.....but nothing in it granted.

I checked Premier league rating comparisons. Only fair as Dougie has only played in the Premier League this season. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

• 2 weeks later...

He was never going to last 90 minutes today so don't see the huge outrage at him going off. Try playing a high intensity premier league match after 16 hour flight through the night.

Was amazed he started actually. At least Martinez dosen't run about much with his position.

That's the crux really as would've been ideal to put him on at 2-0 up and 20 minutes left but perhaps we wouldn't have been in that position with Ramsey/Nakamba starting.

• Like 1

Â