Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

On 01/11/2020 at 15:58, villalad21 said:

Well he did have an assist today..

He is technical. Good passer of the ball. Has a good shot on him.

I personally think he is wasted at DM. He is so limited to what he can do there. #FreeLuiz

I would definitely try this, everyone loves McGinn but he hasn’t shown he can play in a double pivot with Luiz, I think he lacks the intelligence to do it whilst getting forward and filling in at full back when they go forward.

Nakamba is a much more basic player who has no desire to get forward leaving Luiz to go in those situations 

14 hours ago, alexvilla4 said:

Joe Allen - only 30 still with bags of experience and suits a deep midfielder position

A 30 year old coming off an Achilles rupture...

get out GIF

Edited by a-k

8 hours ago, paul514 said:

I would definitely try this, everyone loves McGinn but he hasn’t shown he can play in a double pivot with Luiz, I think he lacks the intelligence to do it whilst getting forward and filling in at full back when they go forward.

Nakamba is a much more basic player who has no desire to get forward leaving Luiz to go in those situations 

Sorry but if i had a choice of which one i would want as a attacking cm it would be more mcginn than luiz

Luiz os flourishing in his role at the moment. Why change it?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Sorry but if i had a choice of which one i would want as a attacking cm it would be more mcginn than luiz

Luiz os flourishing in his role at the moment. Why change it?

Well Barclay is the attacking midfielder, I'm simply saying if they aren't going to play in a static double pivot (in the attacking sense) and they want one to join in further up the pitch I think McGinn lacks the intelligence to do that whereas Luiz I believe doesn't.

In that very specific situation Nakamaba would be the better sitter than McGinn.

Personally I think it is a silly tactic without elite players (top end champions league players) meaning we should play with two central midfielders who should never go forward.

Edited by paul514

Douglas Luiz is a defensive midfielder. That is his position. The fact he can ping a pass or a long shot and do some tricks doesn't automatically mean we have to push him further up the field. Why are people still suggesting this when it should be obvious by now?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Douglas Luiz is a defensive midfielder. That is his position. The fact he can ping a pass or a long shot and do some tricks doesn't automatically mean we have to push him further up the field. Why are people still suggesting this when it should be obvious by now?

He isn't physically dominant enough to play there imo

We need an N'didi/Casemiro type.

4 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

He isn't physically dominant enough to play there imo

We need an N'didi/Casemiro type.

He's 22. He's much stronger and tougher than he looks IMO, and that will only improve with age.

I agree we could do with a more physical DM (more in Nakamba mould) but that would be to play alongside him, not to replace him.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

He's 22. He's much stronger and tougher than he looks IMO, and that will only improve with age.

I agree we could do with a more physical DM (more in Nakamba mould) but that would be to play alongside him, not to replace him.

Based on an interview posted here a while ago he mentioned players he looked up to were Ronaldinho.

I'm not sure he is truly enjoying his role. This is his quote "Unfortunately I play in a different position to Ronaldinho and Jack, and in my role it’s hard to be joyful all the time."

I think he would thrive more in the box to box role. Just look at the goals he has scored. That is not typical goals you would see from players like Casemiro. Luiz is a skillful player that has so much more to offer than to just be a defensive shield.

This is just my opinion and i would love for us to buy a proper defensive midfielder next summer.

Edited by villalad21

He is a proper defensive midfielder.

That interview was conducted in Portuguese. Words have different meanings in different languages. It's a reach to conclude from that quote that he doesn't enjoy his football...

Loads of great defensive midfielders have had great goals and attacking play in their locker - Xabi Alonso, Pirlo, Redondo, Rijkaard... I see Douglas Luiz as eventually progressing into that bracket, injuries permitting.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

No one talking about the pass to Barkley... 

The impressive thing for me is that he had the position, space and awareness to see that run before the ball came to him, he's looked up first then the drag to get it out of his feet quicker, head down and on a six pence put it exactly where he wanted 

Its so easy for him 

He has that quality and he absolutely bullied Arsenal for the full 90 minutes. Hopefully he returns from Brazil duty intact.

Interesting where Brazil will play him in the next round of games as they've had Casemiro pull out today with Covid and Fabiano injured so they're very light on DM options.

They play Uruguay away on Tuesday 17th at 11pm UK time so he's going to be a bit leggy if the Brighton game stays on the Saturday.

7 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Based on an interview posted here a while ago he mentioned players he looked up to were Ronaldinho.

I'm not sure he is truly enjoying his role. This is his quote "Unfortunately I play in a different position to Ronaldinho and Jack, and in my role it’s hard to be joyful all the time."

I think he would thrive more in the box to box role. Just look at the goals he has scored. That is not typical goals you would see from players like Casemiro. Luiz is a skillful player that has so much more to offer than to just be a defensive shield.

This is just my opinion and i would love for us to buy a proper defensive midfielder next summer.

Casemeiro scored a 40 yard goal in the champions league final. 

Luiz was my MOTM today. That pass to Barkley was world class.

Ive been forming the opinion for a while that he is a deep sitting playmaker more than a DM. Will be interesting to see what Smith does, as he keeps getting better and would love to see him playing more a McGinn role.

Brazilians are sooo gifted it's unreal. Doesn't matter which position they play they're so good. So much ability on the ball.

Apart from Paulo Rink he was so bad Brazil let him play for Germany when they hit the lows of Euro 2000. 

Â