Ezri Konsa

MaVilla

I'm not one for slating players for the most part, but given how often our squad get criticised I think Konsa has gotten off extraordinarily lightly relative to others this season. 

Playing out of position or not he was appalling for that goal today and it's largely his fault despite none of the backline covering themselves in glory for it.

Not to hold him solely responsible but it's business such as investing in players of this standard while turning our noses up at loaning Tuanzebes or signing Cahills where necessary that personifies why we're stuck in the mire that we're in.

Edited by Indigo
  • Like 1

This doesn't excuse what our centre backs were doing go the goal, but it seemed to take him AGES to track Gayle. Poor sense of awareness. 

He's young and has got a lot to learn, but I've seen nothing to suggest he'll ever be good enough to be a premier league regular starter. Might to a job for us if we go down

1 hour ago, Indigo said:

I'm not one for slating players for the most part, but given how often our squad get criticised I think Konsa has gotten off extraordinarily lightly relative to others this season. 

Playing out of position or not he was appalling for that goal today and it's largely his fault despite none of the backline covering themselves in glory for it.

Not to hold him solely responsible but it's business such as investing in players of this standard while turning our noses up at loaning Tuanzebes or signing Cahills where necessary that personifies why we're stuck in the mire that we're in.

He has been poor I agree. But we didn't have the opportunity to loan Tuanzebe....United wanted to keep him.

It's because he's not a right back. I can't stand this playing people out of position lark, CBs > RB especially annoys me. Cuellar got shifted to RB, Axel got shifted to RB. When has a CB ever moved to RB and been good? 

6 minutes ago, AndyM3000 said:

It's because he's not a right back. I can't stand this playing people out of position lark, CBs > RB especially annoys me. Cuellar got shifted to RB, Axel got shifted to RB. When has a CB ever moved to RB and been good? 

Literally can't think of one 😂

1 hour ago, WooJung said:

This doesn't excuse what our centre backs were doing go the goal, but it seemed to take him AGES to track Gayle. Poor sense of awareness. 

He's young and has got a lot to learn, but I've seen nothing to suggest he'll ever be good enough to be a premier league regular starter. Might to a job for us if we go down

Yep, he's got to sense where the danger is and tuck into the middle quicker. Newcastle weren't going to score on the touchline but Gayle was in position to score and so it happened.

20 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Ivanovic was pretty good at Chelsea. Signed as a CB.

Gallas as well though I think its easier to adapt when playing next to Carvalho and Terry than Hause :P 

19 hours ago, robby b said:

But the reason he didn't track Gayle straight away is because he was looking behind understandably at Almiron who was charging towards the penalty box in acres of space totally unmarked! You can't mark two players at the same time, especially when they're so far apart! Konsa should have been able to track Almiron because Mings or Hause should have been on Gayle. I don't agree with Dean Smith for putting all the blame on Konsa.

I blamed Konsa initially but yes Mings or Hause should have been on Gayle, if you put it down to man marking the CB should have been on the CF , how on earth did that happen from a throw is is beyond me!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

I blamed Konsa initially but yes Mings or Hause should have been on Gayle, if you put it down to man marking the CB should have been on the CF , how on earth did that happen from a throw is is beyond me!

Konsa isn’t a right back, he is predominantly a centre back, that’s his best position. I can’t understand why Elmohamady is being overlooked while Guilbert is out injured

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Genuine question...was he not supposed to be a ball playing centre back when we signed him?

He probably still is - but his all round game just screams bang average to me. I'm expecting nothing more than him holding his own in the championship. 

No where near to close to the player Axel was for us - and Brentford must have ripped our hand off for £9m ! Dunno who scouts these players  !

2 minutes ago, hippo said:

He probably still is - but his all round game just screams bang average to me. I'm expecting nothing more than him holding his own in the championship. 

No where near to close to the player Axel was for us - and Brentford must have ripped our hand off for £9m ! Dunno who scouts these players  !

Transfermarkt has it at £12m. Guess that could be correct if there was a promotion clause in the deal.

That's lot of money, hopefully it's not another Curtis Davies type signing.

• Like 1

I remember in the summer £12m was his release clause and at the time that was being hailed as a bargain, a week or so before we signed it was being reported that he was going to Wolves and there was disasppointed that we weren't signing him.

Strikes me has the type of signing people will write off, then he'll go somewhere else develop into a good player and we will be wondering what we're doing wrong. Don't think we can write him off yet.

Â