Ezri Konsa

MaVilla

2 hours ago, hippo said:

You're setting the bar pretty lower comparing him to Easah Suliman.

A better comparison would be Kiran Clark or Nathan Baker - I am not convinced he is better than either of those at 22 years old.  I think people are blinded by the big fee - which to me looks way over the top. I don't see him ever being anything other than an average championship defender. 

That's a new one for the VT misspelt list.

I'm sure some of you are doing it on purpose. :lol:

• Haha 1

I think there's a Premier League centre back in there. The problem is at this stage of his development he should really be a back up to first choice defenders and be blooded slower. We're too reliant on him now because the current crop of centre backs aren't good enough. The only centre back who is Premier League ready for me is Mings. Konsa and Engels are both centre backs who've shown the potential to be good enough at this level, but neither is currently good enough. Konsa will improve with experience, but I worry that having to rely on him now could contribute to us slipping back to the championship.

Having only 1 Premier League quality centre back (Mings) would be a concern with a back 4, as he's constantly having to carry and cover his partner, but with a back 3 it's even more concerning, because Mings has people out of their depth on both sides of him. In time Konsa could reach the level required, despite his mistakes at the weekend, Engels also could, and I've seen nothing from Hause besides heading to show he has any potential at this level. Essentially we are playing two championship level centre backs either side of Mings, if we stay up a first team ready centre half has to be the priority, so the likes of Konsa can be given the right exposure to develop, without being hung out to dry by being our only option.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, RichiBoi11 said:

I think there's a Premier League centre back in there. The problem is at this stage of his development he should really be a back up to first choice defenders and be blooded slower. We're too reliant on him now because the current crop of centre backs aren't good enough. The only centre back who is Premier League ready for me is Mings. Konsa and Engels are both centre backs who've shown the potential to be good enough at this level, but neither is currently good enough. Konsa will improve with experience, but I worry that having to rely on him now could contribute to us slipping back to the championship.

Having only 1 Premier League quality centre back (Mings) would be a concern with a back 4, as he's constantly having to carry and cover his partner, but with a back 3 it's even more concerning, because Mings has people out of their depth on both sides of him. In time Konsa could reach the level required, despite his mistakes at the weekend, Engels also could, and I've seen nothing from Hause besides heading to show he has any potential at this level. Essentially we are playing two championship level centre backs either side of Mings, if we stay up a first team ready centre half has to be the priority, so the likes of Konsa can be given the right exposure to develop, without being hung out to dry by being our only option.

There's a hell of a lot of caveats in there !

Seems to have avoided any flak from yesterday so far.

I’ll rectify that.

I thought he was awful yesterday by no means the only one but it was his worst performance for us by a distance. Practically everything he did first half was wrong. He’s so passive in his defending sometimes looks likes he playing on a beach in Brazil rather than the peak of the profession. So many players in our side struggle for consistency and when they’re off it they show neither the fight nor the quality to compete at this level.

That’s a bad combo. 

Edited by villaglint
  • Like 2

Seems to be completely gone, in an ideal world Chester comes in for him or someone else we should have signed with experience.

For a footballing centre back I have not seen so much hoofing since James Collins. Look devoid of any confidence at the minute and arguably coaching.

10 minutes ago, AV82 said:

As with most of our signings Konsa needs time to adjust to the level. We're having to rely on young, inexperienced players like Konsa, Hause and Douglas far too much.

Agreed, we needed a blend of youth and experience in the Summer, we didn’t get it, we just brought in a load of young and inexperienced players and tried to rectify it in January. It could be costly by the end of the season

I thought his lack of pace for Southampton's first goal was a worry on Saturday and I know there have been question marks on his conditioning over the season. The rest, all the technical stuff and the positional stuff can all be learned, but his physical ability will be what it will be - he needs to work hard to ensure it's where it should be.

10 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I thought his lack of pace for Southampton's first goal was a worry on Saturday and I know there have been question marks on his conditioning over the season. The rest, all the technical stuff and the positional stuff can all be learned, but his physical ability will be what it will be - he needs to work hard to ensure it's where it should be.

I'm not worried about his pace for the most part - I think everyone looked lethargic in that game. 

23 minutes ago, lexicon said:

I'm not worried about his pace for the most part - I think everyone looked lethargic in that game. 

I think everyone looks lethargic most games. Everyone has lost about 5 yards of pace over the season and looks like they are towing caravans.They are being badly managed.

• 2 months later...

In Jack Grealish’s video interview on the official site, he said that Ezri Konsa is the hardest defender to dribble past in training. Before the Coronavirus, Konsa was sitting on our bench, we had a £12m future England centre back according to Smith, I think it shows how strong our squad actually is

Edited by sir_gary_cahill

1 hour ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

In Jack Grealish’s video interview on the official site, he said that Ezri Konsa is the hardest defender to dribble past in training. Before the Coronavirus, Konsa was sitting on our bench, we had a £12m future England centre back, I think it shows how strong our squad actually is

Yet when he plays he doesn't stand out at all in a very average team. I'm not convinced yet.

1 hour ago, Rolta said:

Yet when he plays he doesn't stand out at all in a very average team. I'm not convinced yet.

According to Wikipedia, he has only played 19 times for us, 13 times in the league, he’s only 22 years old, he will improve over time I think. I think he has an awful lot of potential, that’s why we bought him 

1 minute ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

According to Wikipedia, he has only played 19 times for us, 13 times in the league, he’s only 22 years old, he will improve over time I think. I think he has an awful lot of potential, that’s why we bought him 

At 22 he should be realising that potential. Wouldn’t give up on him yet.

1 minute ago, meregreen said:

At 22 he should be realising that potential. Wouldn’t give up on him yet.

I think that is a very negative mindset, centre backs mature later than other positions in the team. His time will come, I’m sure of it, I think Smith thinks that too

1 minute ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I think that is a very negative mindset, centre backs mature later than other positions in the team. His time will come, I’m sure of it, I think Smith thinks that too

That is not a “negative” mindset if taken in context with my final comment. 22 is an age when players really should be showing a little more than potential in my opinion. As I say I wouldn’t give up on him yet. Indeed at Brentford he was used in various roles, including midfield. He wouldn’t be the first to find his true worth in a different role. Gareth Barry springs to mind.Started at the back but evolved into a very accomplished midfielder. At 22 though Gareth was delivering.

Â