Ezri Konsa

MaVilla

9 minutes ago, useless said:

I remember in the summer £12m was his release clause and at the time that was being hailed as a bargain, a week or so before we signed it was being reported that he was going to Wolves and there was disasppointed that we weren't signing him.

Strikes me has the type of signing people will write off, then he'll go somewhere else develop into a good player and we will be wondering what we're doing wrong. Don't think we can write him off yet.

He has done okay, thrown in at the deep end. He is decent at most things but I have been struck by just how uncomfortable he has looked on the ball at times.

Championship level defender. Certainly at the moment anyway. Our centre backs are all so meh (Mings aside). Konsa, Hause, Engels. They all have their positives but none are cut out for the premier league. I'd put a centre back or two high on the priority list regardless of what division we were in next season.

For the record, I think we'd be safe now (just) if we'd had Tuanzebe back this season. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Championship level defender. Certainly at the moment anyway. Our centre backs are all so meh (Mings aside). Konsa, Hause, Engels. They all have their positives but none are cut out for the premier league. I'd put a centre back or two high on the priority list regardless of what division we were in next season.

For the record, I think we'd be safe now (just) if we'd had Tuanzebe back this season. 

Abraham banging them in was the real miss. The guy was a natural goalscorer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, useless said:

I remember in the summer £12m was his release clause and at the time that was being hailed as a bargain, a week or so before we signed it was being reported that he was going to Wolves and there was disasppointed that we weren't signing him.

Strikes me has the type of signing people will write off, then he'll go somewhere else develop into a good player and we will be wondering what we're doing wrong. Don't think we can write him off yet.

That's always the chance with any player though.

To me he looks about Nathan Baker calibre.  £12m looks way over the top.  He might, as you say , develop - but on what I have seen - there doesn't look an awful lot there for £12m. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

He has done okay, thrown in at the deep end. He is decent at most things but I have been struck by just how uncomfortable he has looked on the ball at times.

Why do you say he has been thrown in at the deep end ? - he didn't start for us for ages, then was in and out of the team. I would say he has had a phased introduction to PL football. 

Will be better next season. After all he was part of that much mentioned Brentford improved defence as soon as DS left.😉 Selling him for 12m and signing Pontus Jansson for 5m sums up why Brentford remain a constant threat after selling regular players though.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Will be better next season. After all he was part of that much mentioned Brentford improved defence as soon as DS left.😉 Selling him for 12m and signing Pontus Jansson for 5m sums up why Brentford remain a constant threat after selling regular players though.

Top price for a run of the mill championship defender. - don't think you can put this one on susso either.

If DS gets the boot - I wouldn't bank on him being regular starter next season either.

Edited by hippo

Thrown in the deep end in the PL in a struggling defence. It'll be some time before we see what he's truly made of. There have been some good signs. Overall, I think he's been better than Hause who also looked handy at Championship level.

1 hour ago, useless said:

Isn't that par for the course.

24 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

too true

like where was we when Danny Ings was being sold?

years ago, we was in for all these kind of players.

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

Frit.

I think he’s an excellent player, I’m not one to blow my own trumpet but I remember thinking how good he was at Villa Park for Brentford. He has a very unique style for a defender I think, he doesn’t over complicate things, he just keeps it simple. I think we will see more of him next season, hopefully in the Premier League (fingers crossed). Smith thinks he will play for England, he’s still very young for a centre back at 22 years old, he will improve over time. Grealish said that Konsa is the hardest player to dribble past in training. I think it’s great that we have real strength in depth at centre back, Smith will have to make sure that they all get adequate game time but that’s his job not mine 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, hippo said:

That's always the chance with any player though.

To me he looks about Nathan Baker calibre.  £12m looks way over the top.  He might, as you say , develop - but on what I have seen - there doesn't look an awful lot there for £12m. 

Nathan Baker was always underrated he just had a knack for getting head injuries though. I remember when both him and Christopher samba went in for a diving header. 

42 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I think he’s an excellent player, I’m not one to blow my own trumpet but I remember thinking how good he was at Villa Park for Brentford. He has a very unique style for a defender I think, he doesn’t over complicate things, he just keeps it simple. I think we will see more of him next season, hopefully in the Premier League (fingers crossed). Smith thinks he will play for England, he’s still very young for a centre back at 22 years old, he will improve over time. Grealish said that Konsa is the hardest player to dribble past in training. I think it’s great that we have real strength in depth at centre back, Smith will have to make sure that they all get adequate game time but that’s his job not mine 

22 and a million miles away from the England squad. It will be some transformation that happens. 

Like I say new manager - villa in the championship - I wouldn't bank on him being first choice for us. 

There is some distance between him and Axel - let McGuire and Mings. There is no way in a million years he is going to ever play for England - that's right up there with your most outrageous claims SGC !

3 minutes ago, hippo said:

22 and a million miles away from the England squad. It will be some transformation that happens. 

Like I say new manager - villa in the championship - I wouldn't bank on him being first choice for us. 

There is some distance between him and Axel - let McGuire and Mings. There is no way in a million years he is going to ever play for England - that's right up there with your most outrageous claims SGC !

I think he’s brilliant and he’s good looking, I remember seeing him play for Brentford at Villa Park last season in The Championship and just thinking ‘wow, what a player’. I was chuffed when we signed him, he will go on to be a fantastic player. Tuanzebe chose Manchester United’s bench instead, I think he’s brilliant too but they’re his boyhood club so I can understand it

19 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I think he’s brilliant and he’s good looking, I remember seeing him play for Brentford at Villa Park last season in The Championship and just thinking ‘wow, what a player’. I was chuffed when we signed him, he will go on to be a fantastic player. Tuanzebe chose Manchester United’s bench instead, I think he’s brilliant too but they’re his boyhood club so I can understand it

Ok I bow to you're superior knowledge as youth talent spotter ...to me he looks championship level at best ...indeed if he is as good as you say - you don't think a prem club will come in for him this summer !!!!

Â