Ezri Konsa

MaVilla

He was partly at fault for Alderweireld's goal. Tracked him well on the first ball, but then left him unmarked for the second ball. An easy mistake to make in the melee, and perhaps he was trying to get back into shape thinking the ball had cleared further - but if you watch it, all he does is leave Alderweireld unmarked to have a shot at goal.

I don't think he's a bad player, just inexperienced. I wonder if he should have been playing in the middle CB role today, as his pace would have given us more protection against their counter attacks. I also thought Engels looked pretty good at RCB against Bournemouth.

I generally hate when people suggest moving centre halves into midfield 'because they are half decent on the ball' but I would stick him as a holding midfielder. He isn't a centre half for me the way he deals with high balls and crosses.

By accident I watched him at Bournemouth at half time earlier on this season as sub doing the passing close touch warm ups. I actually thought his touch was phenomenal, stood out more than Jota and Conor who were knocking about with him. Apparently he has deputised in midfield before at Charlton. He'd do for me instead of Drinkwater. I'd keep it very simple and just get him to shield. I do think he is a player there but I just don't think he's a CB.

I maintain that he's a very promising prospect; he has already played more than 120 senior games and he's only 22, which is phenomenal really (by contrast, Easah Suliman, who also regularly featured in lower-age England set-ups, has played 14, and at much lower levels). He has good ball control and an excellent physique. I really think he'll be a top defender one day, and possibly not that far into the future.

The problem is he isn't there yet, and he was mostly rubbish yesterday.

I think it has been clear for a while now that he is out of his depth at this level at this stage.

Again, he should be taken out the firing line, again, we should have a spine full of experience and international caps. We shouldn't be playing Konsa Hause and ANother every single week. It isn't fair.

• Like 1

I am sensing a bit of deja vu from the Grealish thread. For me, Konsa is an excellent young prospect, you have to remember it is only first season in the Premier League. We paid a lot of money for him, we paid for the potential, he is not the finished article but but he will get there over time. £12m was a lot of money for someone who had never played above Championship level but I think he will be worth the fee we paid for him. Smith has already publicly stated that he will play for England, I think he will too. The amount of times that he just does the simple thing, he doesn’t over complicate things, I think he’s great, I also think that some of these comments are unfair in this thread

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

I think it has been clear for a while now that he is out of his depth at this level at this stage.

Again, he should be taken out the firing line, again, we should have a spine full of experience and international caps. We shouldn't be playing Konsa Hause and ANother every single week. It isn't fair.

We should be Top 4 and into the Champions League knock-out phase.

It's easy to say we should be doing things that are unrealistic. How can we have a spine full of experience and international caps when we had to build a whole squad in one window with an average spend of £10m per player?

6 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

It's easy to say we should be doing things that are unrealistic. How can we have a spine full of experience and international caps when we had to build a whole squad in one window with an average spend of £10m per player?

Trezeguet and El Ghazi are both full internationals who cost under £10m

He's 22, it's his first full season in the prem, he is going to make mistakes, but overall he looks good to me, a lot of potential, good on the ball, quick & agile.

Yes he has weaknesses and makes the odd mistake, but blimey, as above, hes 22 and his first season in the prem. (Turned 22 during the season too, so 21/22)

Anyone going nuts because he isnt a top class premiership defender need to get a grip.

If we go down he will be excellent for us next season, If we stay up he will have had a full season under his belt while still only 22.

Let's also not forget he was never planned to be first choice I dont reckon, he was planned as a bench player who could develop through the season (I reckon mings and Engels were the planned first choice in a 433), but due to various circumstances, including moving to 3 at the back, he is now effectively a first team starter week in, week out.

He needs time to develop and grow, stop being silly people.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 1

I mostly give Konsa the benefit of the doubt because he's 22, playing in a struggling side in his first Premier League season. I've seen enough to think that he'll be more than fine at this level. 

That being said, I don't rate him as highly as Tuanzebe last season. I firmly believe Axel could be an elite level centre back but unfortunately seems constantly injured.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I maintain that he's a very promising prospect; he has already played more than 120 senior games and he's only 22, which is phenomenal really (by contrast, Easah Suliman, who also regularly featured in lower-age England set-ups, has played 14, and at much lower levels). He has good ball control and an excellent physique. I really think he'll be a top defender one day, and possibly not that far into the future.

The problem is he isn't there yet, and he was mostly rubbish yesterday.

You're setting the bar pretty lower comparing him to Easah Suliman.

A better comparison would be Kiran Clark or Nathan Baker - I am not convinced he is better than either of those at 22 years old.  I think people are blinded by the big fee - which to me looks way over the top. I don't see him ever being anything other than an average championship defender. 

19 minutes ago, hippo said:

You're setting the bar pretty lower comparing him to Easah Suliman.

A better comparison would be Kiran Clark or Nathan Baker - I am not convinced he is better than either of those at 22 years old.  I think people are blinded by the big fee - which to me looks way over the top. I don't see him ever being anything other than an average championship defender. 

I think he's better than both of those were at 22, and certainly he's played more football so he should improve faster than they did as well. The player who reminds me more of Baker is Hause to be honest, and just like Baker is a solid pro at Championship level but will never have a real Prem career, I think that is Hause's ceiling as well. 

Konsa has more potential to make it at a higher level because he's better on the ball, which is what's required in this division. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I think he's better than both of those were at 22, and certainly he's played more football so he should improve faster than they did as well. The player who reminds me more of Baker is Hause to be honest, and just like Baker is a solid pro at Championship level but will never have a real Prem career, I think that is Hause's ceiling as well. 

Konsa has more potential to make it at a higher level because he's better on the ball, which is what's required in this division. 

To me he doesn't impose himself on games - I would love to see Revan given a few games and see how he shapes up. 

I really can't make my mind up on Konsa. On the one hand, I think he's young, he's going to get better and he is fairly decent at the moment. 
On the other, I compare him to Tuanzebe and I think he's nowhere near as good, not strong enough and doesn't impose himself on games. 

He shouldn't be in the first team really but as many have mentioned, the change in formation and lack of personnel means he has to be. 

I'm a bit stuck on this one. 

22 hours ago, Rob182 said:

Said in the summer Gary Cahill was very obvious pick up for 1-2 years.

Mings, Cahill, Engels, Hause, Chester. Good range of three experienced CBs and two up and comers. With Chester basically not being considered at any stage for premier league we've basically limited ourselves to one reasonably experienced CB (and even Mings hasn't really played much in the premier league before this season) and three up and coming defenders which we played on Sunday.

15 hours ago, Farlz said:

I mostly give Konsa the benefit of the doubt because he's 22, playing in a struggling side in his first Premier League season. I've seen enough to think that he'll be more than fine at this level. 

That being said, I don't rate him as highly as Tuanzebe last season. I firmly believe Axel could be an elite level centre back but unfortunately seems constantly injured.

Get the feeling we'll go back in for Axel in the summer. He gave it a go at Man. United but barely played due to injuries and Maguire-Lindelof is their first choice combination (under OGS at least). Luke Shaw seems to be having a decent run of games aswell in a back 3 now so can see them letting Axel go.

Â